View RSS Feed

IrishWrestleFan

The importance of commentary

Rate this Entry
hey guys, IrishWrestleFan here,
ok so il get right to the point, when growing up watching wresting i was pretty ignorant to the fact of how important commentary was to the company, and i didnt appreciate it as much as i should off.
during the attitude era the awesome duo of Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler was second to none. When sitting at home watching Monday night Raw or smackdown, their excitment automatically made you the fan excited, Jerry always backing the heel and JR backing the face. They sold the matches and the storyline so so well, even just a superstar coming to the ring was made exciting, how many times did we hear the glass break followed by JR's repetative lines of 'STONE COLD, STONE COLD, HE'S TALKING, HE'S PISSED', they just made everything so exciting, they sold everything perfectly, their enthusiasm, their passion, their ability to make you the viewer believe they were just as supprised as you where when something big went down.
Now fast forward to today, the commentary is shocking, their is no passion or supprise element, they spend too much time arguing between themselves and trying to point out each others mistake on live tv, not to mention the constant talking of twitter.
il give you a couple of examples
Mick Foleys recent return.....this made me sick to the stomach, there was no supprise factor at all so it was upto the commentators to sell it and make it seem awesome, but instead of Jerry Lawler or Asshole Cole shouting 'oh my fraking god its Mick Foley, we havnt seen him in years king, what the hell is he doing here' (or something around those lines) they were just like 'oh its micky foley' as if we had only seen him yesterday.
The recent cryptic promos airing on Raw.....ok so we saw the two promos airing the past couple of weeks on Raw, now im sure i can speak for most of you guys when i say that when i saw kanes mask (hinting he would be returning under the infamous red mask) i was ecstatic, soo happy, but the commentators just said 'creepy' and moved on with the show, why the hell were they not trying to sell this, 'what the hell was that, was....was..was that kanes mask???? wot does this mean, somethings going down' again just an example of how it could of sounded
and last but certainly not least
the rock returns as guest host of wrestlemania
so no one new it was the Rock for sure, not even the announcers, his music hits, he gets the biggest pop i have heard for the past 5years at least, and the commentators say, nothing, didly squat, they didnt say a bloody word, now if that was during the attitude era good ole JR would have been going absoloutly bananas , he would of be shouting and screaming 'its the rock, the great one is here, oh my god' but nope they sit bare faced as if to say, i dont give a shit.
these are just a few example, its just terrible to watch raw and have to listen to cole and king argue, talk about twitter, and when they do talk about whats happening in the ring or backstage etc, its like they have no charisma at it, no passion in their voices, the commentators on Raw have to get the finger out, do their job instead of promoting Twitter, if the commentators started selling storys, being able to tell the story of a match, start acting shocked and supprised when summit goes down then we would be more excited, ratings would go up for sure. i
Honestly believe the commentators are the guys that make it exciting for the viewer, and im afraid to say they havnt been doing that for the 5 or 6 years.
i know i only mentioned JR and King as commentators, Tazz, Cole (in his face days), king booka, paul heyman, all great commentators when it came to making something seem awesome and selling a story.
anyway guys i know this blog is kinda thrown together, i had to do it in an epic rush as my mates gf has just went into labour, so please read, im off to the hospital

Submit "The importance of commentary" to Digg Submit "The importance of commentary" to del.icio.us Submit "The importance of commentary" to StumbleUpon Submit "The importance of commentary" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    great blog man totally agree.

Unfortunately as much as I hate to say this its's not the commentators fault. Vince's tell them what kinds of things they can and can't say, and even goes as far to scream down headsets when needs be. The fact that Lawlor is still there is cause he's made for life, he's a sellout. He probably doesn't want to be there but the moneys so good.

Vince has belief in Cole though I don't know why, he has great connections obviously that gets him in the position he's in, JR and Gorilla Monsoon of course had great connections as well but they liked wrestling truly. Cole was good back in the day but he was just following Jim Ross's lead really.

At least I like Booker T, he actually cracks me up every time I listen to him like when somethings about to happen and he's like "UUUUUUUUUUHHHHH" and "OH MY GOODNESS". He actually makes the match funner for me which is a plus in this awful, awful era of wrestling
    congrats on the baby duuude!!
    The best commentators were the combo of Bobby Heenan/Gorilla Monsoon or Jesse Ventura/Vince Mcmahon...yes Vince mcmahon. Vince worked well along side Ventura when Jesse would constantly take verbal jabs at Vince's expense. The dynamic worked well between the two.
    Updated 12-02-2011 at 12:57 AM by Sony
    The WWE Commentators have totally gone to shit. They spend more time bickering at one another, and cant even call a wrestling match properly. I know this is Vince's call but they hardly even call out the proper moves anymore. I loved Booker as a wrestler, but as a commentator he's just painful to listen to. The Commentators are there to tell a story, not there to be the center of attention.
    One commentator to rule them all: William Regal. I honestly feel drowsy when I listen to him doing it. It's as though he's doing voice over for a documentary.

Booker T doing commentary is like listening to a hiphop track without sampling. Uhhh Uhhh OMG! OMG! Uhhh Uhhh... -- If I didn't know better I'd swear he was.... Naaahhhh...

Cole should really be reworked into a different role. He sucks massive ass as a commentator and I think once they get through Johnny Ace's interim GMship, Cole should become the on screen Raw GM. He's a terrific non-wrestling heel, everybody hates him, and his enjoyment of screwing people over and needing to be right would make the move fantastic.

Lawler is there because he wants to go out in the top company. For him, it's about ego, not money. He made his money during his actual career in wrestling, the paychecks now are just a perk. Though he's definitely one of the best there have been up alongside JR.
    totaly agree with you... i think cole or king need to go,i mean recently king couldnt comment and it was just Booker and Cole.. And i loved it,i actually was focused on matched instead of unwillingly listening to cole-king ranting
    I like Booker T if for no other reason that he says absurd things that literally render Cole speechless. When Cole is with King, King tries to argue logically, unfortunately Cole seems much smarter than King and it ends up with Lawler just telling Cole to shutup. At least with Booker Cole sometimes just doesn't know how to respond and it buys us a few moments of peace.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.