View RSS Feed

knox

Top 10 Historical Matches in WWE History

Rate this Entry
Hey guys hope all is well, Knox here. I think this whole Cena vs Rock fiasco has everyone talking and the wrestling world and even the entertainment world buzzing. People are saying this could be the biggest match in not only WWE history but wrestling history.

So I thought I'd give my take on what I think were the 10 most historical matches in WWE history.

Qualifications:
**Not judging on match quality, just historical impact.

Note:
1. I get alot of heat on my countdown blogs because I don't go far enough into the 80s. I was born in 91' and started watching wrestling in about 97'. I don't know much about the 80s so don't fault me on that.

Top 5 Historical Matches in WWE History:

10. Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs Triple H(C) - World Heavyweight Championship @Wrestlemania 20
Well lets see, this was the first time every that a triple threat took place at Wrestlemania for the World Heavyweight Championship, is that historic enough for ya? Not only that but this is arguably one of the greatest matches ever. But the biggest historic factor is the fact that this was Benoit's big night. After Benoit's actions, this match can't be relived on WWE programming any longer.

9. Mankind vs The Undertaker - Hell in a Cell @King of the Ring 98'
Maybe the biggest spot ever. Mankind being thrown off the cage is a replay that the average wrestling fan has atleast seen a hundred times. A match that is still talked about to this day.

8. Mankind vs The Rock - WWF Championship @Raw Dec. 29, 1998
Definitely a historic match in my opinion. The fact that WCW spoiled the fact that Mick Foley was going to win the WWF Championship ended up being one of the most boneheaded moves ever made by WCW.

This backfired as everyone changed their channels to see Mankind defeat Rocky for the WWF Championship and Nitro ended up losing big time in ratings that week in which WCW had Kevin Nash vs Hulk Hogan in which the reformation of the nWo took place which was a big deal for WCW. Served them right.

7. The Hardy Boyz vs The Dudley Boyz vs Edge & Christian(C) - TLC Match for the WWF Tag Team Championships @Summerslam 00'
This is a match that will always be talked about to this day. That's historical impact. Every TLC or Ladder match involving these guys are still talked about to this day.

6. The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels(C) -Hell in a Cell Match for the WWF Championship @Bad Blood 97'
2 things. The first ever Hell in a Cell match and the debut of Kane. Great back & forth math.

5. British Bulldog vs Bret Hart(C) - Intercontinental Championship @Summerslam 92'
I still think this was the biggest pop ever when Bulldog got the voctory over Bret in his hometown. I will always consider this my all time favorite match. Never in my life have I seen something like this. This match topped all of Bret's matches with HBK by a long shot if you take away the build up of all of their matches.

4. Andre The Giant vs Hulk Hogan(C) - WWF Championship @Wrestlemania 3
An absolute horrible match but this literally is one of the most historical matches ever. "The Slam" is about as historical as it gets. Its something that even the kids today know about.

3. Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart - Iron Man Match for the WWF Championship @Wrestlemania 12
An hour match on the grandest stage of them all. Doesn't get much bigger than that does it? Great back & forth bout and I think this is why many including myself consider these two the greatest of all time, bar none.

2. WCW's Alliance (Shane McMahon, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, Kurt Angle & Steve Austin) vs WWF (The Undertaker, Kane, The Big Show, Chris Jericho & The Rock) - 5 on 5 Elimination Tag Team Match Loser goes out of Business @Survivor Series 01'
This isn't brain science. This could be the most historical match ever. Alot was on the line and this led of to the end of WCW as we knew it after the awesome wars starting in 96' and the invasions. Safe to say wrestling went down hill from this point on.

1. "The Montreal Screwjob" - Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart(C) - WWF Championship @Survivor Series 97'
I think its obvious why this is #1 and if anyone disagree's we shall debate lol. I for one am all for the Screwjob. McMahon didn't trust Bret to defend the title and show up on Raw to lose it the next night.

C'mon. Bret's contract wasn't renewed and he made it clear he was going to WCW. Vince couldn't let Bret retain that belt and show up on Nitro with it the next night. That buzz and attention and all out betrayal would've put the WWF out of business and I mean that.

Vince made a risky yet safe business move and I think that's the reason WWE is still in business today. Bret Hart was known as a bitter guy backstage for a while so I don't blame Vince at all for making that brash move.

Honorable mentions:
The Rock vs Hulk Hogan - Wrestlemania 18
Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage - Wrestlemania 5
Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels - Ladder Match - Summerslam 95'
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 13
Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan - Wrestlemania 6
The Undertake vs Hulk Hogan - Survivor Series 91'

Conclusion:
Hope you all enjoyed this one, I put alot of work in it. Many probably won't agree but that's the beauty in having an opinion. I just don't think the Cena & Rocky match will come close to any of the matches above let alone have the big historical impact. Please leave feedback guys and be safe.

Submit "Top 10 Historical Matches in WWE History" to Digg Submit "Top 10 Historical Matches in WWE History" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 10 Historical Matches in WWE History" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 10 Historical Matches in WWE History" to Google

Updated 11-30-2011 at 10:25 PM by knox

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Then it should be called "The most historical matches Ive seen in the 14 years Ive watched the WWE." WWE history goes farther than 14 years, kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by knox
    @Sony & The Hit Man - The Hogan & Giant match was horrible and it will be known for that one slam. In no way does it mean more to history than the actual Screwjob. I mean cmon CNN, CBS & every major network showed the documentary of the screwjob. It changed the foundation of the whole business.
    Yeh I agree with you that Hogan/Andre was a horrible match but if you're basing it totally on historical impact I think it desrves number one. The slam is probably the most played clip in Mania history and IMO that match is what validated WrestleMania as the biggest show in wrestling. I don't know what the buy rates were like but it drew 93,000 to the arena alone! It's also the match that cemented Hogan as the most iconic superstar in wrestling history. Hart/Michaels was definitely more controversial and created a buzz at the time but if you asked someone who doesn't know much about wrestling and asked them to name a match, I think the majority of people would say that match where Hulk Hogan slammed Andre. Not that match where Vince screwed Bret.
    [QUOTE=knox;bt49843And I clearly said in the beginning that I was born in 91 and didnt start watching wrestling till about 97' in which I said my knowledge on the 80s is pretty low so I won't include much. Reading is fundamental bro.[/QUOTE]

YEAH MOTHERFUCKERS
    imagine a quote bubbly around the above. you are all right but the kid was obviously into it mostly from 97 and on so his list is understandable
    gr8 list!!

if u C all the matches of Bret in this list r what he lost..that shows..how u can be worshipped by the generations to come even after losing the gr8est of matches in ur career..

Benot Vs HHH vs HBK is really a gr8 match in the modern era..it is perhaps the BEST match in the post-Attitude era....

The match is spl by all means..i was double tossed...whom to support?? HBK, the man who's the best in teh worl n who wants to prove his point against a man who used to be his sidekick n one of the most dominant champion..n u have the eternal underdog..Chris Benoit..

that was a gr8 match..u hav to see the body language n expressions of the 3..n Benoit's reaction after winning the match made it spl...

All Mick's matches r spl....esp his first world title reign is gr8....n I'm a huge TLC mark....

Any match involving Bret n HBK or Bret n BBDB Smith are always gr8 fun to watch..n also, Bret vs Owen..those were the golden days of pure technical wrestling...

All HITC matches till HHH Vs HBK were awesome..probably, HHH Vs HBK is the last gud HITC match...
    [QUOTE=Sahu;bt49886]gr8 list!!

if u C all the matches of Bret in this list r what he lost..that shows..how u can be worshipped by the generations to come even after losing the gr8est of matches in ur career..

Benot Vs HHH vs HBK is really a gr8 match in the modern era..it is perhaps the BEST match in the post-Attitude era....

The match is spl by all means..i was double tossed...whom to support?? HBK, the man who's the best in teh worl n who wants to prove his point against a man who used to be his sidekick n one of the most dominant champion..n u have the eternal underdog..Chris Benoit..

that was a gr8 match..u hav to see the body language n expressions of the 3..n Benoit's reaction after winning the match made it spl...

All Mick's matches r spl....esp his first world title reign is gr8....n I'm a huge TLC mark....

Any match involving Bret n HBK or Bret n BBDB Smith are always gr8 fun to watch..n also, Bret vs Owen..those were the golden days of pure technical wrestling...

All HITC matches till HHH Vs HBK were awesome..probably, HHH Vs HBK is the last gud HITC match...[/QUOTE]

Jesus christ, I can't understand a word of what you just wrote...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.