View RSS Feed

kj777

The Slap Heard Round the World: The Start of Cena's Heel Turn?

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
For years, people have been clamoring for it. They want John Cena to flip, to turn to the dark side. They're sick of Cena's goody-goody attitude and limited moveset. To sum it up, Cena's getting stale. We all know it, and we've all said it before. But alas, it's never happened. There've been several opportunities for him to do so over the past few years, whether it was his induction into the Nexus or his turning on The Rock at Survivor Series. But after tonight, what we've been asking for months, possibly years, may finally happen.

Roddy Piper said it best: wrestlers feed off of the energy of the crowd. Though Cena claims that he "rises above the hate," Piper saw through him, towards his pent-up denial at the crowd's booing him being weight on his shoulders. He told Cena to spill his heart to the crowd, lest he wants to lose to The Rock at WrestleMania. After Piper slapped some reality back into him, Cena walked away with a disheartened look on his face.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is excellent build-up to a heel turn. There are some that defend that Cena is too valuable an asset as a face, as children make up the biggest market for the WWE now, but after what we've seen with CM Punk and Awesome Truth within recent months, we may be seeing a new era on the rise, and to have "Hollywood" Cena to spearhead it would renew interest in him and maybe even bring in some new fans.

Heel turns have worked in the favor of many wrestlers over the past few years, and kept them from being stale. I mentioned Hogan as one, but others, like R-Truth, Edge, and JBL rose from mid-card to main eventers just from a simple villainous change. Sure, Cena's already a main eventer, but the point is the same: it has potential to take his career in a new direction.

In closing, I may be wrong, but I think Piper's provoking Cena tonight may be the start of something bigger towards WrestleMania. It only makes sense: The Rock is the fan favorite going into this match, and for Cena to win as a face would be an outrage (though I doubt the bookers are THAT stupid). But as the saying goes, "anything can happen in the WWE," and as you know, this includes screw-ups.

Submit "The Slap Heard Round the World: The Start of Cena's Heel Turn?" to Digg Submit "The Slap Heard Round the World: The Start of Cena's Heel Turn?" to del.icio.us Submit "The Slap Heard Round the World: The Start of Cena's Heel Turn?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Slap Heard Round the World: The Start of Cena's Heel Turn?" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I still think they are messing with us. But if he does turn it will be at Mania I guess.
    great blog. Trust me it will happen. It will happen within a month. Piper was the right guy to bring in to stir up drama, the booking of that promo exchange by both men was complete gold.

In my opinion Cena delievered an awesome promo but he should've included this....when Piper kept asking if he was bothered by boos, Cena should've said, "This is professional wrestling, this is the WWE, the big leagues. We are the toughest people in the world and your asking me if non violent words from these fans hurt me? Hell no. Pain is the process of making it here, pain is the blood sweat and tears we shed every night. Pain sure as hell isn't loud boos from the audience. Let them do what they want, it comes with the price of admission, I'll still be John Cena".

He should've said that.

Great blog again bro and you definitely picked apart that angle great.
    Usually I see blog entries linked to a Cena heel turn and think, for F sake another one?

But on the back of that slap/punch/couldn't really tell, it's a great time to do so. And you put it across brilliantly.

The only issue is the lack of main event faces. We have CM Punk and R-Truth when he returns.

I think Sheamus should come back to Raw as a face and be up there. Christian also needs a face turn as I don't dig his 'One More Match' heel gimmick, but he'd stay on SD.

Anyway, a great blog, well-structured, good grammar/spelling which makes it supremely easy to read, and not too long.
    I usually dont agree with most of what anyone who blogs puts simply cuz they know only what they see on tv or what ryan posts on EWN. But this one is very good and true...
    Quote Originally Posted by CM_SUXX_NOT
    Usually I see blog entries linked to a Cena heel turn and think, for F sake another one?

But on the back of that slap/punch/couldn't really tell, it's a great time to do so. And you put it across brilliantly.

The only issue is the lack of main event faces. We have CM Punk and R-Truth when he returns.

I think Sheamus should come back to Raw as a face and be up there. Christian also needs a face turn as I don't dig his 'One More Match' heel gimmick, but he'd stay on SD.

Anyway, a great blog, well-structured, good grammar/spelling which makes it supremely easy to read, and not too long.
    Agreed!!
    They've spent the entire year dangling carrots in front of the IWC, almost as to make fun of them. I think they like to do things that show they read the internets so they can watch them "Mark Out" only to turn around and say "Ha! Gotcha!" I don't see anything happening with Cena.
    Loved it and I really agree...Nice blog! I can't wait for Cena to go heel (been a fan of him since I was like 3) and always will be. I also liked your hollywood cena gimmick idea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.