View RSS Feed

JJJic

Correction: John Cena is better than Hulk Hogan

Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average.
I read a blog here about a week ago saying that Cena is not Hulk Hogan. I agree with that part since I believe that Cena is much better than Hogan. First off I am not a child, I am not a huge Cena fan either. Rather I respect John Cena and believe he is much better that Hogan.

First off the writer says John Cena is destroying wrestling. No if anything Vince McMahon and the writers are destroying wrestling. Blame them not Cena.

Hulk Hogan did partially help make wresting in the 80's but as Roddy Piper once said "If they didn't hate me so much would they cheer you?" People wanted to see the Iron Sheik lose the title, someone to shut Piper up, and someone who would stop the pro-Iraqi Sargent Slaughter.

The point I'm making is that most of Hogan's success was due to the fact he had great enemies that made him popular. Anyone could have gone against Slaughter, Piper, etc and gotten the same popularity as Hogan.

Also as much as Hogan helped wrestling grow, he also helped kill wrestling especially WCW and TNA with his politics and screwing other wrestlers. John Cena will job for the good of the company, Hogan won't. In fact Hogan's politics marked the beginning of the end for WCW with Starrcade 1997 where the fake pin on Sting was supposed to be fast but Hogan pushed for a slower count which hurt the match and essentially hurt WCW. Hogan won't push for younger wrestlers either. WCW lost so many great future wrestlers like Austin, Foley, HHH, Jericho partially thanks to Hogan. Ever since Hogan came to TNA, it has been seen as a sinking ship.

The writer says John Cena can't wrestle? He has wrestled a 60 minute classic with Shawn Michaels on RAW. He had classic matches with Punk, Michaels, HHH, etc. Even the match he had with Umaga was seen as a match of the year candidate.

What matches of Hogan's stick out as 5 star classics? Other than the Rock and Warrior, most of Hogan's matches have been seen as poor. Hogan vs. Andre at WM 3 which is one of his biggest matches was seen as Worst worked Match of the Year by Wrestling Observer.

Also the writer says Hogan can sell better? Well that's why he went over 8 men (3 of which are legends) at Uncensored 1996.

John Cena has some good promos. His work with the Rock has been pretty good. Sure he's no Austin or Rock but at least some of his promos are funny especially on the RAW when he first ripped into the Rock. Also blame McMahon, the writers, and PG for Cena being boring. When Cena first started during the end of the Attitude Era, he could cut some awesome promos.

Meanwhile Hogan has cut the same promo a billion times. This is a basic Hogan promo. "Let me tell you Mean Gene. I'll bodyslam that 400 pound giant since I have the power of the Hulkamaniacs blah blah..." Like Hogan's matches, you've heard one promo, you've heard them all.

The writer says Hogan has many fans. At one time I agree he did. Now Hogan is seen as irrevelant by many.

Also Hogan has been protected. You know why Jake the Snake became a face in the 1980's. Because Hogan and Jake Roberts were going to feud after Wrestlemania 3. At a house show Jake DDT'ed Hogan. The fans were going wild for Jake the Snake. And this was supposed to be the peak of Hulkamania.

Futhermore Hogan began getting booed when he faced the Undertaker. Sid Justice got mad props for eliminating Hogan. However Vince dubbed the audio for those events.

Meanwhile Cena is booed, I agree. But going back to earlier points, part of the reason is that he doesn't have enemies that are really hated. Cena never had the luxury of having the stars and stripes behind him. What I'm saying is that unlike Hogan who went against some real hated heels like Piper and Slaughter (both of whom could cause riots), or even unlike Austin who went against the hated Vince McMahon and Hart Foundation, Cena never had the same level of hated opponents. CM Punk is popular, Michaels is popular, HHH is respected even as a heel, ADR and Umaga and other Cena opponents never had the same heat as McMahon, Piper, or Slaughter.

Also Cena another reason that Cena is booed is because he can't cut those earlier promos that he cut in the beginning his career because of the PG rating the WWE is keeping. Also this is seen as the dark ages of wrestling. Again that is McMahon and the writers fault but since Cena is the top guy, he gets the blame.

This is another point that the writer makes that I couldn't disagree with more. Hogan has a better arsenal of moves and his matches are unpredictable, the leg drops comes out of nowhere. Are you kidding me. Again how many 5 star Hogan matches are there? If you've seen one Hogan match, you've seen them all. Hogan gets a brief amount of offense in. The opponent gets 10-20 minutes of offense then Hogan starts shaking like he's having a seizure. He gets up and points a finger at the opponent. Throws punches that any person on the street could avoid. Then he whips then into the ropes where the opponent runs into Hogan's foot (Again anyone on the street could avoid the move). Finally Hogan does a basic legdrop that any wrestler could do. A Sabu legdrop is an awesome manuever not Hogan's.

Cena meanwhile has more moves than 5 and he at least uses a submission move. At least with Cena's finishers come out of no where. I mean Cena may use the same manuevers in a sequence but so does Ric Flair, Bret Hart and Kurt Angle and every other wrestler. For instance Austin usually does the Lou Thez press then uses that forearm drop with middle fingers. Bret Hart uses a backbreaker then a elbow/forearm drop from the second rope to set up for the sharpshooter. These are common with every Austin, Hart, Cena, every other wrestler's matches. Every wrestler has a set of moves that are common and constantly used in each of their matches.

But here's the difference between Hogan and Cena/the rest. Hogan does each match exactly the same. I mean Hogan will pin each opponent the same way. He no sells, then three punches, a move like a body slam (maybe), big boot, and legdrop. There are few exceptions like Hogan pinned Flair in a tag match following a clothesline but that was a tag team match. His singles matches with the ending are always the same however.

Steve Austin may use a Lou Thez press in 99 percent of his matches but it doesn't mean a stunner will follow. Bret Hart may use a backbreaker but that doesn't mean the sharpshooter will occur right after. Perhaps the opponent counters Austin or Hart and then later in the match they get hit with a Stunner or put in the Sharpshooter. Most matches, the ending is different. For instance Bret Hart put Mr. Perfect in the sharpshoot by countering a leg drop while with Ric Flair Hart countered a figure four and hooked the sharpshooter. Austin stunned Shawn Michaels by countering Sweet Chin Music where as with the Rock he countered a punch.

Same with Cena, he'll do a five knuckle shuffle but might miss a move after. In some matches the opponent will counter and do his own move. However out of no where Cena hits the FU or he somehow capitalizes on the opponent's mistake and puts the person in the STF. Or sometimes Cena will just roll the opponent up in a school boy. So Cena in my opinion does have more unpredictability than Hogan.

Finally the writer says that Hogan brought prestige to the World Title... With many of Hogan's title runs (especially WCW) I can count the times Hogan defended the belt on one hand. Was Starrcade 1994 Hogan vs. Brutus Beefcake (Hogan's best friend yet never a main eventer) bringing prestige to the belt? Is Hogan using backstage politics bringing prestige to the belt. Was Hogan refusing to pass the torch to Bret Hart in 1993 (as well as countless others) bringing prestige to the belt? When Randy Savage first won the WWF title, Hogan was constantly around Savage. He never let Savage have any of the spotlight. Every PPV during Savage's first title run revolved around Hogan. In tag team matches Hogan got the pin while the WWF champion played second fiddle. Was that bringing prestige to the belt?

Cena has defended the belt multiple times against the best. He does jobs. Especially when Cena jobbed CM Punk earlier this summer. Now Punk looks to be the next big thing thanks to Cena jobbing.

Hogan would have NEVER dropped the belt to Punk and would use backstage politics to keep Punk down because anyone who was a threat to Hogan was held down. Hogan only jobbed when he wanted time off like with the Warrior at WM 6 or when Vince had Hogan by the you know whats like in 2002. From what I hear Cena is not afraid of other wrestlers and does not view them as threats. Cena will job, Hogan will hurt a company before he would ever consider doing so.

My last point is that who does the locker room respect more. Hogan is hated by many wrestlers including Austin, Hart, Warrior, Savage, etc.

Cena was praised by Austin recently. Bret Hart seems to respect Cena. In fact I have never heard Cena bashed by any wrestler in real life.

I'm not a Cena fan but I still say he's a much better wrestler and human being than Hogan is.

Submit "Correction: John Cena is better than Hulk Hogan" to Digg Submit "Correction: John Cena is better than Hulk Hogan" to del.icio.us Submit "Correction: John Cena is better than Hulk Hogan" to StumbleUpon Submit "Correction: John Cena is better than Hulk Hogan" to Google

Updated 11-26-2011 at 09:59 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I'm not a big fan of either...

but, this blog has few valid points..like Cena never had opponents who r hated most..like Hulk had..instead of giving him gr8 heels..WWE put him against popular wrestlers like Y2J, Kurt, Edge n HHH...who all r loved by the ppl..n no one can accept their defeat to a new chap called CENA...esp..no one likes Kurt to lose in a submissions match (no matter if it is a triple threat) n that to against Cena...n who wud like to see edge losing in a TLC match?? that too against a guy like Cena for whom it is the first ladders match (I suppose)..

The bad booking of WWE made Cena luk weak..n made ppl boo him...

But, one point I did not liked in this blog is comparing Cena's finishing with Bret...Though Bret is Sharpshooter..n he too hav a same go home routine...but, he always maintains a surprise factor..that surprise factor is missing in both Cena n Hogan...

Cena has a better surprise factor than Hogan atleast..

Hogan may do same old shit promos like Cena..but, Hogan has few gud catch phrases for ppl to cheer..where as Cena do not...

Hulk is the first of the SUPERHEROs....so he was a gr8 click..he not just helped wrestling grow...but, he became the face of wrestling entertainment..HE"S THE FIRST MAN!!

so he always become a pioneer of some sorts...all the mistakes with him will be covered in the ext coming SUPERHEROs..thus, few of his mistakes r covered n corrected with Cena..

so there should not be any comparison...b/n the two..
    Didnt hulk job for the Rock a while back.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.