View RSS Feed

LM_StraightEdge

Zack Ryder is The Big O....OVERRATED

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I'm sure I will get a lot of negative feedback for this but I am going to post it anyway. Over the last few months we have been seeing the rise of Zack Ryder, he has gone from never being on TV (apart from the odd jobbing here and there) to being a regular on pretty much Raw and Smackdown, having arena chant "We Want Ryder" and got his first singles championship match on PPV. Now you can't not respect Ryder and the way he has self promoted himself, fans in their thousands have watched him on YouTube, liked him on Facebook and followed him on Twitter (see what I did there) and as Booker T said on Smackdown last night "Strap a rocket to this boy" but does he really deserve it?

You have John Morrison, a fantastic in ring talent who has likely now left the WWE who had less TV time than Ryder. Tyson Kidd, who is probably the most underrated wrestler in the company, no TV time. Trent Barretta little TV time. Guys who can seriously entertain in the ring passed over for a guy that entertains out of it. And let me stop people who are going to jump in and say Ryder has great mic skills. Really? Really? Really? REALLY? The times he has taken a mic on TV usually consists of a Woo Woo Woo, or a Broski this, Broski that. The mic skills people refer to are his YouTube show, and he has been shown up on that in my mind by Dolph Ziggler, who cuts great promos on that show, but gets slandered for his terrible mic skills on TV. And are people watching his matches? He should be spending less time on selling merch and more time perfecting his in ring ability, he goes through about 5 moves just like Cena!

And here is another one of my issues with his popularity. He did the whole petition thing for Survivor Series, fine. I don't agree with it, but the WWE love the Twitter craze so that is fine. They thought it would get more signatures (15,000 wasn't enough?) and obviously Morrison had the match with Ziggler. What irked me was the constant bitching on Twitter about it, John Cena posting "No offence to Morrison but Ryder should have that match" and Ryder retweeting it. How is that not supposed to be offensive?! Ziggler mentioned it on ZTLIS before that it didn't matter who Ryder had politicing for him backstage, but clearly it does. Ziggler to his credit sells Ryder like there is no tomorrow, he even makes the Rough Ryder look devastating!! But if Zack wins the US Title it will make an absolute mockery of restoring any prestige to it.

Trust me I'm not an anti Zack Ryder fan, I actually bought his headband back along, but for people to suggest he wins the US Title, nevermind the deluded few who mention him as a future World champion, is ridiculous. He is the American Santino, he adds a nice bit of comedy to the show, nothing more. In line with constantly referencing Twitter, I saw JR tweet that though he respects Ryder's efforts, but you can't win a title by being popular on Social Media. And also, just because it made me laugh, Lance Storm replied to a fans tweet about Ryder by saying that he doesn't like his gimmick, and thinks the LI character is a tool. Ha. Now if i can be serious for a moment.... I really do hope they reel in his push, but with Vince's current fascination with Twitter, and Ryder being the 5th most followed Superstar, I fear we will be hearing a lot more WOO WOO WOO's in future, and you know it.

Submit "Zack Ryder is The Big O....OVERRATED" to Digg Submit "Zack Ryder is The Big O....OVERRATED" to del.icio.us Submit "Zack Ryder is The Big O....OVERRATED" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zack Ryder is The Big O....OVERRATED" to Google

Updated 11-27-2011 at 02:20 PM by LM_StraightEdge (Typo)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I think people do give Ryder more credit than he deserves at the moment, but it is really amazing how quickly his fanbase grew.

Ryder does have some horrible catchphrases, thing is he stuck to it and made the best out of it. That takes personality, and that is what better in-ring workers lack.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytam91
    p.s. Morrison is a waste of talent in my opinion. If your gonna throw your career away for some woman then you should have never step into the big leagues in the first place. He'll never have a noticeable career in TNA then he would have in the WWE i guarantee that.
    Not True. John Morrison WILL have a noticeable career in TNA....until the next WWE reject rolls along and Dixie Carter forgets about him.
    Zack ryder is a joke
    fans in their thousands have watched him on YouTube, liked him on Faceback and followed him on Twitter (see what I did there)
    Yes, I saw what you did. You became the only person in the world to misspell Facebook.

Anywayyy.... Ryder's not overrated YET. He hasn't been on TV enough to be properly 'rated'.
    He's just super-over at the minute.

Did anybody catch how big his MSG pop was? F'in insane!
    I think Ryder does deserve more tv time because instead of lying around, waiting on his opportunity, he got off his ass and did something. That's how many of the most popular superstars gained their popularity, Look at Stone Cold or CM Punk (Not really comparing them to Ryder, just giving examples of self-made wrestlers).
    P.S. Morrison is an idiot, he has all the talent in the world in the ring, his mic skills could (and would) have improved over time, he could've been one of the greats. Instead he went with his whore of a girlfriend Meiina. JoMo clearly has an iq of 10, and that's generous.
    His character isn't all about being a comedy act. His character just gives him a personality. Look at The Rock. His character was funny and entertaining. Did that mean he was a comedy act like Santino? Hell no. He knew when to be serious in feuds he was in with his character giving him a personality. The same can be said for John Cena's rapping gimmick which gave the fans a laugh but actually taking him serious when he was being serious. The fans don't want to see generic, serious faces/heels all the time. They want to see gimmick that could entertain them. If you see Zack Ryder's WWECW work, he can be serious when needed to be. Just give Ryder time. Hes still young and has a long way to go before he can become a World Champion.
    people who like zack ryder = hypnotized or homo sexually curious....
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.