View RSS Feed

scribbler_jones

The Handsome Hellion: Cody Rhodes - From Dashing to Undashing to Dangerous

Rate this Entry
Yes, I know I haven't posted much recently - busy, busy, busy... but I felt the urge to post about a WWE Superstar that recently grew on me.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of WWE. As of late, I've been bored by the time I get to the second match of Raw. But I do keep up with the few Superstars that hold my interest. I'm a big CM Punk fan, a big Randy Orton fan... but interestingly enough, I didn't think I would become a Cody Rhodes fan.

I still remember when Cody was one of Orton's tag-alongs in Legacy. First time I saw him, I thought that he was just there as merit to his dad's legacy and nothing more. Then came Mr. Dashing. The ladies' man. The guy who, in the middle of a match, would do his all to protect his most valuable asset: his face. Voted by the Divas (so they say) as the handsomest one of WWE, Mr. Rhodes ran with it, reminding us that no matter how homely we were, that we could strive to reach his level of suave attraction. And then came the horrible accident... Rey Mysterio, a 619 gone awry... and the WWE's most handsome face (so they say) was shattered, along with the psyche of the young Superstar. Cody went from an extroverted playboy-type pretty boy to a dark, brooding introvert who believed that he was hideous and revolting... but not as repulsive as the hypocritical members of the WWE universe, who watched his fall from grace and pointed and laughed. Ironically, Cody becoming a self-depreciating deviant got him places - he has improved and become quite marketable. Now he is Intercontinental Champion - and brought class back to the title by reviving the white-bordered classic look (which I must admit I like!) I didn't get to see how he lost his mask, but I like the new direction it birthed: Cody is even more confident than ever. Buoyed by the IC title and being free of the grotesque demon that he wore on his face, Cody seems to be making a splash.

I do see a couple points of opportunity for improvement with him though. The first: his laugh. I like the idea of casting Cody as a debonair madman (of sorts) but the laugh sounds too artificial and scripted. Give it some feeling, maybe downgrade it to a maniacal snicker, and I think it will get over.

Next, make him a little more sinister. I think that it would fit him well: a man freed from his self doubt, who now wants to take out his pent-up aggression and hate on those around him. Maybe even make it so that now he's dashing again, ensure that he remains that way by seeking out others who may be handsome - whether only by his perception or not - and making them "undashing" so that they will know what hell felt like for him. Something like when he takes a hit to his face, he snaps back to his "undashing" days, gets dark and violent, and does some epic stuff. I know this will likely never happen, but I would like to see him enter a situation where he is so violent and sadistic that even Orton would take pause.

I look forward to seeing where WWE takes Cody from here. I hope they maintain this push for a good while and give him some excellent (or close) matches and feuds. Though I'm a Booker T fan, I hope Cody takes him to the Cross Rhodes.

Submit "The Handsome Hellion: Cody Rhodes - From Dashing to Undashing to Dangerous" to Digg Submit "The Handsome Hellion: Cody Rhodes - From Dashing to Undashing to Dangerous" to del.icio.us Submit "The Handsome Hellion: Cody Rhodes - From Dashing to Undashing to Dangerous" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Handsome Hellion: Cody Rhodes - From Dashing to Undashing to Dangerous" to Google

Tags: cody, dashing
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

mark my words...RHODES IS A FUTURE MULTI TIME WWE CHAMPION. he has all the tools, has had many gimmicks and succeded with all of them. orton just doest work with anyone and he had to have a hand in putting him over on raw a few weeks back. rhodes and ziggler are on huge rolls and zig losing on raw to punk only HELPED him. cool music for rhodes now too...
    Couldn't agree more. If you could invest in wrestlers like stocks, I'd put all my money on Rhodes and Barrett. Those guys are the future.
    Rhodes should win the next Royal Rumble, he can wrestle, and as a girl i can safely says he pretty damn hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsfantildeath
    mark my words...RHODES IS A FUTURE MULTI TIME WWE CHAMPION. he has all the tools, has had many gimmicks and succeded with all of them. orton just doest work with anyone and he had to have a hand in putting him over on raw a few weeks back. rhodes and ziggler are on huge rolls and zig losing on raw to punk only HELPED him. cool music for rhodes now too...
    Rhodes is on the up and up - I just hope WWE has enough sense to let him spread his wings and fly instead of doing something boneheaded and letting him go back to mid-tier after this awesome run... and just imagine a feud between Rhodes and Ziggler as they continue to blow up... EPIC!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.