View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

Top 5 Greatest Managers in Wrestling History

Rate this Entry
Being a Manager is a lost Art in prowrestling. Back in the early 90s and 80s there was 4 or 5 maangers per promotion. Managing in Prowrestling is outdated, Along with the Attitude era and NWO Managing just seemed like a thing of the past. Today we have very few managers and in WWE there is only one and she is becoming one of the all times Greats and thats Vickie Guerrero. A heel could burned down a orphanage and still hope to get half the reaction Vickie Guerreo gets from saying "Excuse Me".

When Managers were relevant there was some amazing Talented men and women that just shined and what they did could never be duplicated in todays wrestling or even before them.

So here we go the Top 5 Managers in Wrestling history.

5. JJ Dilion
the Whole point of a manager in the 80s was to be loud, annoying and to stand out and to get cheap heat. If you had to wear ugly clothing and jump around with a mega phone, it didnt matter, just be as annoying as possible.... JJ took a Different way of managing, JJ was managing The Four Horseman, All those guys could talk and had alot of heat so JJ Didnt need to be really annoying, JJ brought realism to the Table. JJ Dillion looked like a lawyer, a businessman or someone you use to handle your books. He was classy, he was business oriented and he spoke with intelligence and Class.

JJ made it seem like he was a legit hired manager to take care of all the Horsemans Business behind the scenes. and When JJ needed to be that cowerdly heel then he did. but he did it at the right times.

To Hold your own and get noticed in a group like the Horsemen with so many talented guys then you got to be a heck of a manager.

4. Sherri Martel
If you have any doubts on why Sherri Martel should be on the list then please watch this video.

Sherri could get under the fans skin. If she was singing horrible vocals to Shawn Michaels song, Trying to seduce The Ultimate Warrior To giving Randy Savage a Match, Proclaiming to be a beautiful and elegant queen or Simply calling Ted Dibiase Teddy bear. Sherri was creating heat for who ever she was managing and for their next upcomming match.

If you watch Sherri Durring a match, she does just as much work as the 2 men in the ring, Jumping from side to side, taking bumps, getting in cheap shots. I dotn think any manager worked as hard as Sherri durring a Match.... I never seen so much cheap shots and cheating by a manager than Sherri also. It is to the point where at 29 years old I watch Wrestling from the Early 90s and See a match with Sherri Managing and there is so much cheap shots and cheating behind the refs back I even get pissed 20 years later and I know thats her job but I just get sucked in to it.

Sherri is a hard worker and a talented Woman and she do anything to get her man over or to make a match better and she needs to be remembered for that.

3. Paul Heyman
Paul Heyman, A man that could talk a person in the North Pole in December in to buying a Air condtioner has no problem talking people in to buying a match.

We talk about CM Punk and his fantastic work shoot promo but Heyman was the man Punk studied before that shoot thats for sure. Heyman is talented talker, What Heyman did in the Dangerous Alliance, Sabu, Taz, The Alliance and Most recently Brock Lesnar no one could ever do.... Brock was a star cause of Heymans mouth, Sabu was a seen as one of the most Dangerous men in wrestling Cause of Heymans mouth and Taz was no longer seen as a silly midget with a stupid outfit pretending to be from the jungle and was seen by fans as a ruthless, unbeatable wrestling machine cause of Heymans mouth.

Heyman was a manager in 3 different eras in prowrestling, he was different in each era from his WCW days to his ECW days and lastly to his WWE days and even though he was different in each promtion he managed in, He was incredible in each different persona he played, he was Stellar in every different promotion he was in and Heyman had a huge Impact in each different era he was in as a manager.

2. Jim Cornette
The reason the Rock and Roll Express were so Loved was Cause the Midnight Express were so hated and the reason the Midnight Express were so hated was cause of the one and Only, James E Cornette.

Jim Cornette Like Heyman Could talk and shoot with the best of them and Like Sherri Martel Cornette would do anything to get heat on his men..... Cornette is a huge figure in tag wrestling, Cornette is just as big in 80s tag wrestling as any team was. Cornette was the reason Tag team wrestling was so interesting in southern parts of america. Not to mention the work he did with Yoko in the WWF. Yokos run would of been more of a disaster without Cornette talking for him.

Jim Cornette drew alot of heat and was the biggest heel in most promotions he was in and what ever team or person he managed was a a main eventer or upper mid carder instantly just by being managed by him.

1. Bobby Heenan
Everything I said on this list is my own opinion, but Bobby Heenan being the Greatest Manager of All Time is a Fact. There is no one that would disagree with this.... I could go on about how Hogan and Andre wouldnt be half the success it was without Heenan or How much he meant to Ric Flairs WWF run (Royal Rumble 1992 was the best color comentary/managing you will ever see). I wont say how Bobby Heenan could draw more in a match against Face main event talent then any heel in WWF (see the reaction he got in the match with the Waarior in the Weasel suit) or how he is the only manager to have his own DVD. No there is no need to run down Bobby Heenans incredible resume cause il be here all night. There is nothing to defend cause everyone on here knows how great Bobby Heenan is, Everyone in the wrestling business knows it as well.

God Bless Bobby and Get Well Soon.

and to all those who will complain about Jimmy Hart not being on the list, I think Hart was a good annoying heel, he had all the gimmicks with the loud suits, being small and weak looking and the mega phone but Jimmy wasnt someone that could talk you in to a match or make the guy he was managing look more like a star, he just added for some cheap heat and thats what he did.

Submit "Top 5 Greatest Managers in Wrestling History" to Digg Submit "Top 5 Greatest Managers in Wrestling History" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 5 Greatest Managers in Wrestling History" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 5 Greatest Managers in Wrestling History" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Another great blog Crippler. My list would have Gary Hart on it but some great choices.
    Agree with number 1 but Heyman should be number 2 and how could you forget about Jimmy Hart and Paul bearer! They should come in 3 and 4.
    I agree with about half of this list, but I have one word for you, Sunny!
    It might not be list worthy, but James Mitchell's work with Abyss (before TNA drove Abyss' character into the ground) was awesome. His promos with Abyss pacing and screaming in the background were some of my favorite back in '05-'06 TNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejaspy
    It might not be list worthy, but James Mitchell's work with Abyss (before TNA drove Abyss' character into the ground) was awesome. His promos with Abyss pacing and screaming in the background were some of my favorite back in '05-'06 TNA.
    The only yhing that kept James Mitchell off this list is he was born in the Wrong era... If James Mitchell was in the 80s or early 90's he be on this list for sure. He would of made a great manager back in the era of managers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Peep
    I agree with about half of this list, but I have one word for you, Sunny!
    Alot of what people dont understand is the difference between a great wrestling personailty and a Great manager. Sunny never made me interested in who she was managing or talked me in to wanting to see a match. Sunny was a Great personality but not the greatest manager.... I cant even think of a person she managed that was even successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayB
    Agree with number 1 but Heyman should be number 2 and how could you forget about Jimmy Hart and Paul bearer! They should come in 3 and 4.
    Jimmy Hart was mostly comic Releife, He was just a annoying character. He was all gimmick.... I remember What Jimmy Hart said, He would do the embarrsing thing most guys didnt wanna do cause it get him noticed and he was right he did get noticed but I cant think of a Great Jimmy Hart Promo or Jimmy making me interested in a Guy... Yeah he helped alot but not as much as the 5 on this list.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.