View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars Episode 3: Greatest Tag Teams in Wrestling Part 1

Rate this Entry
Welcome back to episode 3 of Blog Wars. First off the last match ended in a draw so Dr. Death is still the champion but knox is back since no one won and the blog is triple threat match by adding The Hit Man. Because of a character limit I have to put Dr. Death's response in another blog so vote on part 2 only.

Top 5 Tag Teams in Wrestling
Each contestants will name tag teams they think deserve to be on this list. For teams that are still around today, it is important to consider future potential. Some criteria that you should consider are: promos, in-ring ability(double team moves), titles, impact, best matches, chemistry and etc.

The Hit Man
5. The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff Hardy)

The Hardy Boyz were an integral part of the Golden Generation of tag team wrestling in the then WWF. Along with two other teams they raised the bar for tag team wrestling in the WWE and that bar has not even been closed to being touched yet. The Hardyz are undoubtedly the most exciting tag team in wrestling history. They were involved in the first ever tag team Ladder Match, tag team Table Match and TLC Match. The Hardyz provided most of the ‘HOLY SHIT’ moments in these matches. The Hardyz vs E&C @ No Way Out 2000 is a very underrated tag team match. They had a plethora of double team moves including Poetry in Motion. Even though The Hardyz weren’t great on the mic, they could still get a crowd pumped up just by what they done in the ring. Despite their initial run only lasting from 1998 to 2002 they still managed to win 6 World Tag Team Championship and in a 2007 reunion adding another Championship. However none of their runs as Champions were particularly memorable and this is the reason why they aren’t placed higher on the list.

4. Edge & Christian

E&C are the second of the three Golden Generation teams. Along with the Hardyz they competed in the first ever tag team Ladder Match and TLC Match. E&C were part of the greatest tag team rivalry in wrestling history and won every match that pitted all three teams against each other @ Wrestlemania 16, Summerslam 2000 and Wrestlemania 17. This backs up the argument of E&C as the most successful tag team ever in WWF/WWE along with their 7 World Tag Team Championship reigns which was a record at the time of winning their seventh. E&C are arguably the most charismatic team ever. E&C created great comedy moments with Mick Foley backstage and also in the ring with ‘For the benefit of those with flash photography’ catchphrase. Unfortunately the team of E&C only lasted from 1998 to 2001 and only made an impact in one wrestling organisation, meaning they are only fourth in this list.

3. The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott Steiner)

The Steiners are the only team to win the WWF, WCW and IWGP Tag Team Championships before WWF purchased WCW. They have won a total of 10 World Tag Team Championships. The Steiners have been tag team champions in 6 different organisations proving they were a draw no matter where they went. Lasting as a team for 9 years show they were able to keep themselves relevant and not become stale as a team. Both men had large physiques but they were able to mix technique and speed with their great power in the ring making them great all round wrestlers. Their match against Hiroshe Hase and Kensuke Sasaki at the WCW/New Japan Supershow ’91 is a must watch. The Steiners created unique offence including the Steinerizer and the Steiner DDT. As a tag team they proved they were main eventers with their year-long fued against the The Outsiders over the tag titles.

2. The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and Devon Dudley)

The third and final of the Golden Generation teams, The Dudleyz, are the most decorated team in wrestling history. They have 24 World Tag Team Championship to their name. They are the only team to win the WWE, World, WCW, ECW, TNA, NWA and IWGP Tag Team Championships. Whatever company they went to, they dominated the tag team division. They are the pioneers of bringing the use of tables to mainstream wrestling, competing in the first ever tag team Table Match and TLC Match. The Dudleyz could work either as a face or heel tag team and get a reaction out of the audience easily. When Bubba shouts “Devon... Get the tables!” you knew something big was about to go down. Neither were the greatest wrestlers but it never stopped them entertaining the crowd especially when a 3D could come out of nowhere or Bubbas infamous powerbomb through the table. Up until recently, The Dudleyz have been a team for almost their whole careers (1997-2010).

1. The Legion of Doom/ The Road Warriors (Hawk and Animal)

When you talk about tag teams, you immediately think of Hawk and Animal. They are easily the most dominant tag team ever with their impressive physiques and their famous squash matches. They were also very charismatic superstars in their interviews and knew how to pump up a crowd. The Road Warriors made the Scaffold Match famous and also won the first ever War Games Match. In a career lasting from 1982-2003 they were able to keep the same gimmick and it never tired. Winning 13 Tag Team Championships and being the only team to win the Tag Team Championships in the ‘Big 3’ promotions of the 80s, showed success followed them wherever they went. The Road Warriors were regarded as one of the top drawers in the 80s and early 90s, up there with the likes of Hogan, Flair and Sting. They are responsible for possibly the most iconic double team move in The Doomsday Device. The Road Warriors set the bar for other tag teams to raise and truly deserve their place in the WWE Hall of Fame.

knox
whats up guys before I start let me give special props to Dr. Death. He had an amazing wrestlemania list. The competition was tough and we ended up having the same #1 match. Anyway lets kick this Greatest Tag Team List off.

5. Beer Money/MCMG
This was a split tie right here. I associated them together because their recent best of 5 series against one another was close to the greatest tag team action ever. I put those matches up their with the TLC tag matches. These two teams had all the chemistry in the world. I think they were good enough to be considered one of the best. Now ofcourse they weren't as high profile as the Midnight Express but they are a team that will get left off of many people's list for the fact that they are a TNA original team. I give TNA alot of heat but that company sure as hell knows how to run the Knockouts and Tag Team division.

4. The Hardy Boyz
I think these guys came in and rebuilt and set the foundation and brought new life to the tag team division after it vanished after teams like the New Age Outlaws and L.O.D. They came in with their high flying spots and added a cool factor to wrestling.

They were a perfect combo. Matt was the actual wrestler of the group that carried the matches. He'll deliver a cool moonsault or leg drop spot but his main focus was carrying the match. Jeff was simply the spot man. The high risk man. These guys were the perfect team. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of them as a team.

3. The Rockers
Maybe the most successful team as far as a spin off. HBK will go down as the greatest star ever to originate from a tag team and arguably the greatest star ever period. He & Marty were simply awesome and the reaction they got from the fans was sick. They were at one point maineventing many shows in the 80s which was awesome. They in my opinion are the first true team to stick. Many teams wouldn't be here if it wasn't for these guys originating in the NWA & later on WWF.

2. The Dudley Boyz
This isn't a list without these two ECW originals. I feel like they are two of the most agile and athletic big men this business has ever seen. The diversity of the group is what I like. I like how a black guy & white guy can be considered brothers as a matter of fact I love that. Their chemistry was second to none. They came in as a very weird looking colorful team that lacked any star power...24 titles later they proved all of us wrong. From winning titles together in ECW, WWE, TNA, Japan and who knows where else, they are simply the best.

1. The Road Warriors (L.O.D.)
No doubt why these two are #1. The best tag team gimmick ever in my book. These two were very unique and their charisma and promo's were out of this world. These two are tag team wrestling. You can't discuss the topic without bringing these guys up. The've won belts in Japan and all over the world. They've transcended this business with their strong individual persona's. Its a shame Hawk isn't here to see how many tag teams are here because of them. These two are the definition of great.

Submit "Blog Wars Episode 3:  Greatest Tag Teams in Wrestling Part 1" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars Episode 3:  Greatest Tag Teams in Wrestling Part 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars Episode 3:  Greatest Tag Teams in Wrestling Part 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars Episode 3:  Greatest Tag Teams in Wrestling Part 1" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I Think your a Great blogger Knox and handle your self well with your comments but I have to give this one to The Hitman, The Steiners were a Great team that had classic matches every where, I think The Steiners probably had more classic regular tag team matches (not involving a ladder or table) then all the teams on the list combined.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.