View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

SvR/WWE 12: Looking Back and Seeing What Lies Ahead

Rate this Entry

What’s shakin’ Splashers? Since WWE 12 is coming out next week I thought it was time I gave the game an honest look. Let me just say this Splashers, just because you change the name, it doesn’t change jack shit in my book. It’s STILL Smackdown Vs Raw. THQ has changed everything else in the game; they figured they might as well change the name too. So much for my optimistic start eh?

Looking Back
When the Smackdown vs RAW series was first released, it was the biggest thing for wrestling fans. I remember I had it for my playstation 2, and although I had about 20 other games, the only game I played was WWE:SvR. Of course the game had several basic glitches that hundreds of people had no problems using. “The Wall Glitch” was one of the more well known. There you could lure your opponent outside, and throw him into the guard wall over and over, and he or she could not reverse the move. Then you would roll in before the count, winning the match. Another infamous glitch was the "head-butt" glitch, where a quick headbutt to the gut, couldn't be defended, any follow up move (including a finisher).

As the years went on most of the basic cheap glitches were fixed, but of course the real losers would hunt for the new glitches (as there is always glitches in every game). For me the series best year was 2009. They had a decent grappling system, their reversal system was in my mind the best to date, and finally their pinning system was perfect. I owned both 2010 and 2011, and I was disappointed with both of them!

In 2010 THQ decided to break what was fixed. First they changed the reversal system from two buttons, to one. This made it so people just had to button mash their way to reversals (lame). THQ claimed it was a “timed response” but that was total bullshit, as I had no problems reversing from button mashing. Then the final straw was the pinning system. It didn’t matter how many finishers you got hit with, as long as you button mashed, you could kick out (super-fucking-lame). Matches would go on for hours, where I just got bored and put the controller down and let myself get pinned.

2011 was a little bit better. They tried to refine the grappling system, which had a few holes in my book. But they made up for it, with stack-able tables that broke randomly, more ladder & cage moves, and the first WWE Universe feature which was fun. But again the pinning system is a make or break for me, and in this case it was a breaker. It was still very easy to kick out of 10, 20, even 30, finishers if your fingers, knuckles, or battery was fast enough.

What Lies Ahead?
One thing that WWE 12 does have that caught my attention is their expanding roster. Their alumni of WWE Superstars are one of the best I’ve seen since 2007 (Which I called the REAL Legends of the WWE). With Brock Lesnar, Batista, Demolition, Legion of Doom, Ricky Steamboat, Eddie Guererro, and Randy Savage(Who I think might be DLC) being just a few of the big key names. Also The Nitro, NWO, and other classic arenas definitely turned my head.

In the past WWE has had you create everything from wrestlers, to World Titles, to PPVS, even your own “Titon-Tron” entrances and more. Now it appears that the WWE has gone to the next level where you will be able to build your own WWE arena! This is another feature that has my attention, and can make the game a fun product. WWE 12 also refined their “dynamic camera system” adding more camera angles, better frame rate, and higher impacting animation.

One of the newest features in this edition is the “Predatory Technology”. This feature in my mind has some advantages and one big disadvantage. The problem I see with the new feature is now in 2012 Wrestlers are allowed to interrupt other wrestlers’ moves. This may sound very cool up front, but it will be very chaotic in the long run, as finishers will get broken up, regular moves will get broken up, and wrestling matches will break down to simple brawls. Sure, a one on one match will be fine, but in my experience you will not see too many multi-person matches who are executing moves, because someone will always be breaking up the move. BAD IDEA THQ!

Some of the other features did claim to allow executing wrestler’s moves much faster, thus looking less bulky. (They say that every year, and their usually right.) They changed the controls once again, what this accomplishes, I have no idea. 2012 revamped the “kip up feature” which now appears is not a selective option, everyone has the tool. However wrestlers can only use it once, when they have almost nothing left, and need a burst of energy. They also brought back the “store a finisher” feature, so you can quickly dish out more damage. This gives me a hint that THQ has not done much with the pinning technology, which I was speaking about earlier.

THQ has worked over the submission technology (or so they claim). THQ reinstated the body part damages. So if you wear down that one body part, and eventually use a submission move (like Alberto Del Rio does with his arm bar), you’re opponent will submit more quickly. Last year’s submission technology rarely worked, unless it was a finisher. You spent countless hours in submission moves, but your opponent rarely tapped out.

I really hope WWE 12 is on its way to righting the several years of wrongs the game has had. I know I am a minority, and several people loved 2010 and 2011. However I thought after playing 2009, the mechanics of the later games were just terrible. I only hope their finally on the right track.

That's it for this one Splashers. for now, I'm gonna go play some X-Box 360. Until next time...See you when I see you! -Rick Starr

Submit "SvR/WWE 12: Looking Back and Seeing What Lies Ahead" to Digg Submit "SvR/WWE 12: Looking Back and Seeing What Lies Ahead" to del.icio.us Submit "SvR/WWE 12: Looking Back and Seeing What Lies Ahead" to StumbleUpon Submit "SvR/WWE 12: Looking Back and Seeing What Lies Ahead" to Google

Updated 11-12-2011 at 07:11 PM by Rick Starr

Tags: wwe 12, xbox 360
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hope they make it possible for a Superstar and Diva to wrestle eachother without the immediate DQ. Senseless that they've put that in in the first place, because they have the same overall rating system.. there's no difference, just appearance..

An example:
    - I created a bad ass heel character. What is a good way to garner heat? Right, suplex Kelly Kelly through a table (though the IWC loves it I guess).. I did it, recorded the footage (so it's in the highlight reel) but got DQ. Senseless: if they want to make sure no wifebeating clips show up all over the internets, this does not work: the chick went through the table.

I can understand they don't want to be associated with the Attitude Era anymore and I can understand that to an extent. But it's hypocritical to put in first blood matches, to put in sitout piledrivers, and then make it impossible to slightly touch a diva/managerdiva. Make it possible and I'll make Undertaker tap out to Layla at Wrestlemania.. now that is women empowerment..
    "... but of course the real losers would hunt for the new glitches"

i guess u r a real loser
    The real problem with wwe games has been present for as long as I can remember and is the number 1 problem with them. When you win a match by pinfall or submission or whatever, the bell rings and there is a massive silence for a few seconds. The fact that the winners music doesnt hit straight away completely takes the gamer out of the situation and can make any excitement there was in the match end straight away.

Imagine in real life if someone won a money in the bank ladder match and fell off the ladder and then stood there for a few seconds in silence and then reacted when their music hit. It just makes no sense and ruins the game completely. THQ needs to know this. I have wrote to them before and I suggest others to the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briman
    The real problem with wwe games has been present for as long as I can remember and is the number 1 problem with them. When you win a match by pinfall or submission or whatever, the bell rings and there is a massive silence for a few seconds. The fact that the winners music doesnt hit straight away completely takes the gamer out of the situation and can make any excitement there was in the match end straight away.

Imagine in real life if someone won a money in the bank ladder match and fell off the ladder and then stood there for a few seconds in silence and then reacted when their music hit. It just makes no sense and ruins the game completely. THQ needs to know this. I have wrote to them before and I suggest others to the same.
    really? your complaining about the music hitting a couple seconds late? come on now.

i just hope they dont take the extreme rules match out this year as they have been taking out more and more hardcore aspects of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briman

I actually agree with this.......sure, it seems nerdy and paying too much attention to detail, but I know A LOT of folks pay attention to this.

Also, when a heel won the belt in previous years, he had the same reactions as faces, which was run around like a little girl on the turnbuckles and ropes.......heels dont do that, they stand in the middle of the ring and taunt with the belt in the air. It was just weird to see Kane, Undertaker and Umaga running around like little girls after a win.

I am also obsessed with changing attires. I absolutely went crazy 2 years ago when that was introduced. This year, I'm more stoked about the roster size and future DLC's still being announced.
    Updated 11-14-2011 at 05:12 PM by tupelojoe81
    Quote Originally Posted by Marx
    I hope they make it possible for a Superstar and Diva to wrestle eachother without the immediate DQ. Senseless that they've put that in in the first place, because they have the same overall rating system.. there's no difference, just appearance..

An example:
    - I created a bad ass heel character. What is a good way to garner heat? Right, suplex Kelly Kelly through a table (though the IWC loves it I guess).. I did it, recorded the footage (so it's in the highlight reel) but got DQ. Senseless: if they want to make sure no wifebeating clips show up all over the internets, this does not work: the chick went through the table.

I can understand they don't want to be associated with the Attitude Era anymore and I can understand that to an extent. But it's hypocritical to put in first blood matches, to put in sitout piledrivers, and then make it impossible to slightly touch a diva/managerdiva. Make it possible and I'll make Undertaker tap out to Layla at Wrestlemania.. now that is women empowerment..
    No offense but it seems silly for WWE to have man-on-women violence in the game. The content is rated Teen after all with mostly kids playing the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBS
    No offense but it seems silly for WWE to have man-on-women violence in the game. The content is rated Teen after all with mostly kids playing the game.
    Rated sixteen and older here in the Netherlands. If they can watch movies like Death Wish, they can play a game in which pixels suplex eachother. I understand no blood can be involved.

Chyna competed against men, Beth Phoenix entered the rumble during the current PG-tv Era.

Making Undertaker tap whilst playing as Natalya is less sexist than letting the current diva's parade around in skimpy clothes and have a 'piggy james' storyline.

Besides that: in the game they are evenly matched. A female CAW with a rating of 95 is better than a dude with 90.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.