View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars Episode 2

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Welcome back for the second edition of Blog Wars. I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback on the last show. I like to be the first to congratulate Dr. Death on being the first IWC Blog Champion. But lets see if the champ can win the first title defense against Knox. And now since so many people are talking about Wrestlemania XXVIII main event between the Rock and John Cena this weeks list will be
Top 5 Wrestlemania Main Events
The champion and the challenger will make decide what Wrestlemania main events are the most memorable based on match quality, history, impact, and any other characteristics they think are worth mentioning.
As always leave your votes in the comment section and if you have any interest in appearing on the show message me. Remember I will leave voting open for two days (also don't vote based on what kinds of visual aids they use, vote by the match). Now we will start off with our challenger knox.

knox
Top 5 Wrestlemania Mainevents:

Before I begin this list, you'll see exactly why they call Shawn Michaels "Mr. Wrestlemania". With that being said.....

5. The Rock(with Vince McMahon) vs The Big Show(with Shane McMahon) vs Mick Foley(with Linda McMahon) vs Triple H(C)(with Stephanie McMahon): WWF Championship - Wrestlemania 17

A McMahon in every corner. This match was special for many reasons because it was supposedly Mick Foley's last match but that turned out to be false. Also, the way Vince screwed the Rock. The one major thing that people forget is that Triple H winning was the first time a heel won in the mainevent of Wrestlemania. This is a very underrated match that gets overlooked alot.

4. Steve Austin vs Shawn Michaels(C): WWF Championship - Wrestlemania 14

The build for this one was classic and would turn out to be HBK's last match for a long time. Mike Tyson's involvement by screwing HBK was completely sick. This was the beginning of the "Austin Era". Austin had one of the greatest builds from mid carder to WWF Champ. Great match.

3. Shawn Michaels vs Christ Benoit vs Triple H(C) World Heavyweight Championship - Wrestlemania 20

I ranked this list based on the contribution and the effect on the business. But bar none this was the greatest main event in Wrestlemania history. No triple threat can hold a candle to this. The build was absolutely classic. Benoit has today lost my respect but I'll never forget this match and the post match hug between him and Guererro. Never thought in my wildest dreams they would have an opportunity to represent the WWE of all companies as WWE & WHC. It was a shock that they both were gone 3 years later. This was also history in the making at being the first triple threat for the World Title at Mania.

2. Andre The Giant vs Hulk Hogan: WWF Championship(C) - Wrestlemania 3

Two of my least favorite wrestlers ever but no one can deny what this match did for the business. It was a horrible match but "The Slam" is something that people will be talking about for years to come.

1. Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart(C): Iron Man Match for the WWF Championship - Wrestlemania 12

This match shook the foundation of the WWF and wrestling forever. No one expected to see an hour match at Mania. Literally one of the most technical matches of all time and we seen a star born. The booking was absolutely amazing. Loved how these two gladiators went the whole hour without being pinned. The ending was classic at how Bret walked off thinking it was a draw and then BAM!! Michaels with the Super Kick and the win for his first WWF Championship. Besides the fact that they had the greatest feud in wrestling history without a doubt.

Honorable Mentions: Chris Jericho vs Triple H....The Rock vs Steve Austin WM15 & Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior.

Dr. Death (C)

Top 5 Wrestlemania Main Events

Well here we are again for Blog Wars part 2. I'd like to start off by saying thank you to all of you who voted for me on the previous Blog Wars. Thank You all.

Now down to business. I'll be listing my picks for the Top 5 Wrestlemania events based on the following criteria:
- History Impact
- Match Build Up
- Star Power of the Match
- Match Quality
- Contrast to the Whole Card

First off, the main event is the final match. No matter how you split it, no matter how you call it, the final match is the main event. This keeps a lot of great matches out of the running. With that being said, it's time to jump into the list.

5. Wrestlemania V – Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage:

The Mega-Powers collide! During this time period, (April 2, 1989), these two guys were at the top of the WWF, and arguably the wrestling world entirely. This was the Bird vs. Magic, the Red Sox vs. Yankees, Liverpool vs. Man U, Ali vs. Frazier … you get the picture. The build up was great with the tag team splitting up over jealousy, paranoia, and Ms Elizabeth. Savage had been WWF Champ for a year straight at this point, and Hogan wanted the belt back. This is really a dream match, and for those of you who are younger and don’t really have a clue to the drawing power of these guys, this would be the equivalent to an HBK-Rock match. It was great, and deserving of the Number 5 spot.

4. Wrestlemania XIX – Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle:

At this time, (March 30, 2003), both Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar had yet to main event Wrestlemania. This was the first time for them both, and they delivered big time, taking the ball and running with it so to speak. What made the match interesting was the fact that Angle had so many ways he could have lost the title. You knew you had to be in for a clean finish, and these guys delivered a sound, technical match that was very well done. If for anything else, I’m putting this match on the list for the sheer balls it took Lesnar to attempt the Shooting Star Press in that situation. A great way to segue from the Attitude era into the realm of the PG.

3. Wrestlemania III – Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant:

I really think this match speaks for itself. This match was not about being a technical masterpiece, it’s not about doing the perfect moves with expert timing (because that’d be a little bit frightening), it’s about being larger than life … it’s about being iconic. From the staredown, to the body slam, this match was what brought wrestling into main-stream culture. If this match had never happened, then I suspect that instead of Wrestlemania, we'd have either Starcade or Clash of Champions as our wrestling "SuperBowl" today. It swung business that much. Hogan/Andre was huge, end of story.

2. Wrestlemania X-7 – Steve Austin vs. The Rock:

In what would be one of the best feuds of the time, (April 1, 2001), and only the second time in history, a heel won. No match had a greater impact than this one at Wrestlemania X-7. It was a huge match compared to their first encounter, and this time it felt so much more personal between the two, as McMahon was an afterthought that would be added later on in the feud. The Austin heel-turn was one of the more shocking moments of Wrestlemania, and the match lands at the Number 2 spot on the list because of it.

1. Wrestlemania XII – Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart:

I remember watching this match the first time, thinking that it could have gone either way. Both the guys were built up great, and either one could have walked out of the match as the victor. Regardless, for these guys to go an hour without a pinfall or submission, and have fans attached to every move along the way was great. These guys took up most of the card obviously, but from the moment they entered the ring (either from the ramp or from the rafters), to the moment the final bell rung, these guys were about athleticism, determination, and entertainment. It was a great build to a match that seemed to almost be about more than just the WWF Championship … it was really about determining who the Ironman was that night … who was the better man. And that is the reason this match got my #1 vote.

This ends my list and I know that there are a lot of honorable mentions, however I believe that these 5 really sealed it all in terms of what Wrestlemania truly means. I'd like to thank wrestlingfan66513 for having me on again, and I appreciate all the votes. Thank You again for letting me share my personal thoughts on this subject.

Both of these lists are fantastic, and different in a great way. I love how both came up with the same thing for number one. This type of competition is the reason I started the blog. Please comment and vote. I will try to have the next one up by Wednesday.

Submit "Blog Wars Episode 2" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars Episode 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars Episode 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars Episode 2" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry Knox, as much as I love your blogs, Dr Death gets it, almost purely due to the inclusion of Angle vs Lesnar at XIX. It's an often forgotten match due to The Rock vs Austin however both had very good lists.
    oooooooooooooo thats close, i think Knox JUST won it though
    Picking Knox as well. Good lists though.
    great match up so far. if this does turn into a tie then the next match will be triple treat I guess
    tough one. but I have to go with Dr. Death
    Great lists, but I pick Dr.
    This is really tough, but Knox gets the vote
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.