View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

Shane Douglas: The Forgotten Franchise.

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.

Hey Splashers! I just finally updated my twitter page. Anyone interested in me find me at Twitter.com/@RickStarr. Ok enough with the cheap plugs, let’s get to it.

I read Shane “The Franchise” Douglas’ recent interview on Busted Open that was posted here on ewrestlingnews.com, and I have to say it sounded to me like Douglas had a real bad case of sour grapes! TNA offered him a deal during their ECW reunion however it was below his standards. Douglas eventually told the company to “shove it up their backside”. He referred to both Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair’s salary, and stated that he is “bigger” than both of them. Hmm that’s a bold statement for someone whose only accolade to any world title was the ECW Title almost a decade ago! Has he ever been in any movies? NO! Has he been in any TV Shows? NO! Has Douglas ever headlined WrestleMania? NO!

Sure Hulk Hogan may not be the best technical wrestler in the business, but over the years he has been an entertainer, and that is what wrestling is REALLY about. I know Douglas was something special back in the ECW days, but the man needs to get off his high horse and take a good look in the mirror. The last time I saw him in the ring, he didn’t impress me. He still got one of the best mic skills, but if he thinks he’s up to Hogan or Flair’s level (as far as legendary status) he’s sadly mistaken in my book. The truth is I totally forgot about “The Franchise” until I read the interview.

Now don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong working in the “indies”. I know a few people down in GCW Wrestling,(a wrestling company down in the southern states) and they put just as much heart and soul into wrestling than any WWE or TNA wrestler. They work for cheap money, and have to keep real jobs on the side to provide for their families. I don’t know how much money Douglas is making in the NWA, but it can’t be too much more than TNA was offering.

But the interview didn’t stop there. Then Douglas went on to attack Dixie Carter. He berated her because she was brought up in a “billion dollar household” and offered TNA staff “A poultry sum of money”. Then in the same breath he said he was very selective as to where he would allow the “ECW Legacy” to be used and taken advantage of. Why didn’t he just come right out and say pimp it out? He was looking for the bigger paycheck, and now he’s still sticking to TNA years later? That sounds like sour grapes to me Splashers.

And then he slammed Ric Flair for his inappropriate behavior both in and out of the ring. At first he did admit that he idolized Flair, saying he was the very reason he got into wrestling. To be honest I can’t say much about Flair. Flair’s…well….Flair. On one hand you have a man who spent his life demoralizing women, whose ego got way too big for its own good, and spent more money than he ever made. Then on the other hand you have the most decorated wrestler the professional wrestling world has ever known, and where just about every other professional wrestler has at one time claimed they were inspired or highly respected the name: “Ric Flair”.

This was nothing but a smear interview by Douglas in my opinion, nothing more. You can read the interview here and judge for yourself. As for me I’m going to wrap it up for this edition. Until next time…See You When I See You. –Rick Starr

Submit "Shane Douglas: The Forgotten Franchise." to Digg Submit "Shane Douglas: The Forgotten Franchise." to del.icio.us Submit "Shane Douglas: The Forgotten Franchise." to StumbleUpon Submit "Shane Douglas: The Forgotten Franchise." to Google

Updated 11-08-2011 at 11:26 PM by Rick Starr

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I do agree with the whole sour grapes feel of the interview. Attacking people personally shows some bad blood. I watched as Shane developed into a leader for ECW much like Tommy Dreamer.

Difference between the two is one swallowed his pride and wanted to be a leader of not only his friends but all independent wrestlers, the other, thought he was entitled to something. Shane isn't entitled to anything except his own bitterness.

Now this sucks! Cause Shane was the Cerebral Assassin before Triple H. Sometimes I even think the HHH character is based off Shane's ECW bad ass. But Shane is NOT and NEVER will be as awesome as Triple H.

If Shane would have just took the stars of ECW and started his own federation instead of killing their careers by having them follow him blindly into bad gimics, then maybe he could have been the true "Revolutionary" he claimed to be.

Shane leaves alot of his wrestling fans very disappointed over the demise of ECW.
    Maybe instead of worring about TNA storylines, he should look into his past and write a script on how he could have saved independent wrestling.
    Then fax it to himself.
    I remember douglass back in the day when he teamed with ricky steamboat against brian pillman and damn i think barry windham(get well soon). he worked a good match and picked up the w with a nice bossman slam.. i didnt think he was great but good. and now that you mentioned it i totally forgot about the kid too until you mentioned that.. sour grapes are an understatement.. there are hundreds of ppl better than him.. yes good mic game yes good in ring game but not great. and for him to attack hogan and flair and hes not even in their universe is a bitch move and is a slap in the face to the wrestlers that did attend the tna ppv...
    Great blog, very fun to read. Yeah Douglass wasn't unique at all to be arrogant. His closest comparison was Triple H, but Triple H had star power even though he had the cliche huge build and long hair.

Shane Douglass seemed like a random bum off the the street. His type comes a dime a dozen. Guys like Tommy Dreamer, Tazz, Sabu & RVD is what made ECW watchable for me. Shane added nothing to the product. I think Justin Credible was a much better ECW Champ.
    While I don't really see the point of his point the actual context of his statement about Hogan and Flair was that he was 'bigger' than them in terms of ECW and their fan base.

"I said in the world of ECW, in that world, I'm bigger than Hogan, and I'm bigger than Flair. So, we'll talk in those ball parks," and the number they offered me; I wouldn't work for somebody in the independent scene for."

He is one of the most bitter people in wrestling but on this point I think you're overstating the meaning of his comment.
    Updated 11-09-2011 at 01:29 PM by JoePublic
    He never said he was bigger than Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair, he said he was bigger than them in the world of ECW, which is true. I stopped reading after that.
    never that impressed with douglas, i thought he was a good heel champ in ecw, like triple h but he was just the prototype really! and he lasted how long in the wwe? grow up shane!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePublic
    While I don't really see the point of his point the actual context of his statement about Hogan and Flair was that he was 'bigger' than them in terms of ECW and their fan base.

"I said in the world of ECW, in that world, I'm bigger than Hogan, and I'm bigger than Flair. So, we'll talk in those ball parks," and the number they offered me; I wouldn't work for somebody in the independent scene for."

He is one of the most bitter people in wrestling but on this point I think you're overstating the meaning of his comment.

If you want to look in that context and THAT context only...yeah He was a big man in ECW. nobody denies that. But when he was in the WWE what was he? Nobody! what was he when he was in the WCW? Nobody! what was he when he was in TNA as "The Franchise" NOBODY!!! That's my point! Douglas stuck with "Those Ball parks" because he had no other ballparks to speak of.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.