View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

Top 5 Submission Finishers in Wrestling History

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
This Blog is dedicated to the top 5 Submission Finishers in Wrestling History. As always we are gonna stick with American wrestling, cause my lack of knowledge of international Wrestling.....
Submission finishers are very Rare in Wrestling, and to make them a legit threat is a near impossible feat. If you look back in WWF and WCW very few people used a submission finisher, It was mostly a easy to do finisher or high impact moves, The reasoning is no one really wanted to take a submission Loss. In the 90s Submission made a come back somewhat but once the attidtude era came about Finishers had to be more impresive looking and could come out of no where like the "Stone Cold Stunner" and the "Diamond Cutter"..... Then came along the more realistic MMA style of wrestling and it seems alot of people have submission finishers..... So we will Look back at the devastating submission Finishers of today and the Past of prowrestling.

Heres how it goes. This list is for Established Finishers, Actual Finishers not just done once in a blue moon submissions.... It would be ranked on Success the finisher as brought to the person who used it. How well is it performed by the wrestler who uses it. How painful the submission finisher is in real life and the legacy of the Submission... How good and painful the submission looks and also Great reversals in to the submission from another move or hold means alot to this list. So lets start it off

5. Dean Malenko's Texas Cloverleaf
Malenkos Texas Cloverleaf was a thing of beauty, He dominated WCW with it and It gave him alot of success... Dean Performed the Cloverleaf with perfect form and it looked painful. Dean Malenko would transtion from double underhook power bomb right in to the Cloverleaf so smoothly and so quickly..... Dean Malenko and his torturing Texas Cloverleaf doesnt get the Respect it deserves and that is Why it is at number 5.

4. Ric Flair's Figure Four Leg Lock
Many greats have used the the Figure four, from the Great Buddy Rogers to the Legendary Jack Brisco but no one put it on the Way Flair did.

Flairs whole arsenal revolved around the Figure Four. Flair was the Master of the Figure Four for several reason and the main reason is cause no one could apply it the way Flair did. the Figure Four is one of the most botched submissions in Wrestling, very few people do it correctly. and Unlike most people who used the Figure four, such as Jack Brisco, Flair always did the spinning toe hold first and then applied the Figure Four which makes a huge difference.

The Reason the Figure Four is not higher than number 4 on this list, Is cause Flair hasnt had too many victories with the Figure Four, Actually it cost him more matches than he won with it... If you count all the times Flair got rolled up and pinned while going for the Figure Four and all the time he got a submission win with it, it probably be equal almost.... The move doesnt look as painful or impressive as the the rest of the submissions on this list and the difficulty and time it takes to put it on hurt it from being higher on this list.

3. Kurt Angle's Ankle Lock Submission
The Ankle Lock may not be a very impressive looking submission, It looks very simple, but it is also a very painful and deadly submission hold and No one does it better than Kurt Angle..... As you see in the Video, Kurt Angle could snap that Ankle lock from anywhere and he can reverse almost any move in to his Ankle Lock. I seen Angle reverse Super Kicks, Crippler Cross Faces, German Suplexes, Tombstones, Huricurinas off the top, You name it Angle has reversed it in to his deadly Ankle Lock..... The Names who submited from the Ankle Lock is a whos who of Wrestling
Hulk Hogan
Shawn Michaels
Chris Benoit
Kane
Brock Lesnar
Steve Austin
all the wrestling Greats have tapped to the Ankle Lock... If it looked more lethal and wasnt so easy to get out of then is would probably be number 1 on this list.

2. Chris Benoit's Crippler Crossface
Benoits performance of this move makes it what it is. It literally looks like he is gonna tear someones head off. No Submission finisher looks as deadly as the Crossface when performed by Benoit, No one applies The Crossface like Benoit, he has No peers when it comes to performing the Crippler Crossface.

Benoit could snap on this difficult looking hold and perform it from anywhere and do it so smooth and so crisp. It is like a work of art when Benoit reverses a finisher or a wrestling move or Hold to the Crippler Crossface, it seemingly comes out of nowhere.

1. Bret Harts Sharpshooter Submission
Like him or Hate him, You have to Respect Bret Harts SharpShooter..... Unlike Benoit and Angle's Submissions the Sharpshooter couldnt be put on out of Nowhere or easily be used a reversal from another Wrestling move or hold, Bret Hart as did some great reversals into the Sharpshooter but not as impressive as Angles and Benoits reversals in to their submissions.... The sharpshooter is a deadly looking submision and very very painful. Bret Hart applies the Move Picture Perfect. Probably the most botched Submission in the history of wrestling is the Sharpshooter, Almost no one does it correctly. Even people who used it as a finisher like Sting didnt always apply it correctly. The Sharpshooter isnt a easy move to perform or to make look threatening, Alot of people fall over or lose their balance while applying it..... When Bret Hart put the Sharpshooter on it was so crisp and perfectly done and it looked like the other person was gonna come apart and unlike the other submissions on this list, the Sharpshooter wasnt easily reversed, Once it was on it was a struggle, very few have countered it other than reaching the ropes and their was only been one counter for it I seen, and that is pushing out and putting on your own sharpshooter.

As you seen in the video above, The Sharpshooter was used by Bret Hart in the Greatest ending to a Wrestling match Ever!. At wrestlemania 13 when Bret faced Steve Austin, that alone should cement this finisher as #1.

Thank you for reading, look forward to your comments below of agreement or disagreement. Good Day and God Bless.

Submit "Top 5 Submission Finishers in Wrestling History" to Digg Submit "Top 5 Submission Finishers in Wrestling History" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 5 Submission Finishers in Wrestling History" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 5 Submission Finishers in Wrestling History" to Google

Updated 11-06-2011 at 11:54 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Benoits sharpshooter looked great also....since he was so small it looked impressive....But I do think Daniel Bryan Lebell Lock is just as good as the crossface. They couldn't have chosen a better person to be Benoits replacement in the crossface department. Shawn Michaels used to do it and it never looked as good as Bryans.
    No love for the Cole lock? lol Just kidding man, great blog and I agree with the list. Though I would have put the Crossface as #1.
    Interesting list, here are a few I'd have gone for.

Million Dollar Dream Sleeper Hold
    Muta Lock
    Tazzmission

and it's hard not be impressed at how over the Von Erich claw was for such a hokey move.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePublic
    Interesting list, here are a few I'd have gone for.

Million Dollar Dream Sleeper Hold
    Muta Lock
    Tazzmission

and it's hard not be impressed at how over the Von Erich claw was for such a hokey move.
    Million Dollar Dream was a midcard finisher, i didnt care too much for it, it was ok.

Tazzmission was a awesome finisher, it was illeagle but awesome, Tazz only had success with it in ECW not much any where else so i didnt really count it.

The Claw is number 2 on my soon to be coming out list of worst finishers, I hated that move but the Von Erics were so over the crowed took that silly moves as a threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakthecode13
    Benoits sharpshooter looked great also....since he was so small it looked impressive....But I do think Daniel Bryan Lebell Lock is just as good as the crossface. They couldn't have chosen a better person to be Benoits replacement in the crossface department. Shawn Michaels used to do it and it never looked as good as Bryans.
    Actually besides Bret Hart, the best Sharpshooter i ever seen was Steve Austins, he does a amazing SharpShooter
    Quote Originally Posted by dub
    Daniel Bryan has like 50 million awesome submissions of only which the WWE let's him use 2
    With that being said I do like his Labell lock, Cattle mutilation, and I like Del Rio's armbar. I know an armbar is nothing special but the way he sets it up is awesomee. But these submissions you listed are just straight up classics and almost every submission used today is a variation of these.
    Cattle mutilation is a weak move for a finisher, Looks very easy to reverse and doesnt seem so painful looking. Daniel Bryan does it amazingly but its a rest hold or ware down hold at best. If you ask me his SurfBoard Dragon Sleeper looks much more devastating.... I love the lebell Lock, Brya has only been using that finisher for a year or so now so its hard to rank in the top 5 best. but beileve it or not it was close to being number 5 but i edged him out for malenko cause Bryan hasnt used the move that long.
    I'd take out the figure 4 and put int he camel clutch. you're pretty much stuck in the middle of the ring when its applied. but other than that I agree with this list.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.