View RSS Feed

Slickman69

What ROH gets Wrong

Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average.
Recently I have read some comments on the internet saying that ROH is the best wrestling promotion in the world, or at least in the United States. I was curious and began to search videos of the program on YouTube. What I saw definitely didn't impress me. However I thought "Well this must be the older footage. It's probably much better now." Regrettably I was wrong. I tried to watch their weekly show on their website about three times now, and each time I cannot take it seriously. Let me explain.

The Setting/Presentation
The first distraction with ROH is the actual setting, not to be confused with production values. I realize that ROH does not have the financial backing that WWE or TNA has and therefore I do not expect them to have the lighting or the fireworks or the set-up that those companies have. But for Pete's sake would it hurt to choose a few more brightful colors for the arena set-up ? Everything is so dark and depressing looking. The ropes are dark red, the ring apron is black, the canvas is also black, the ring side is mostly black, I mean holy crap. Couple all this blackness with the insufficient lighting (due to financial limitations) and you get a very unappealing picture. I'm not saying that they should repaint everything in rainbow colors, but they should make the show more appealing to the eye.

Another issue is their backstage interviews and promos. They try to make them realistic and UFC-like, however they just come off looking cheap. It damages the credibility of the product when it looks as though the interview was shot with a smartphone. Would it hurt to have a wrestling themed background behind the wrestlers as they do their promos ? This was always done in the territories and even early on in the WWF.

Inside the Ring
Now ironically this is one of ROH's biggest problems. You'd think that a show which puts all of its emphasis on the wrestling itself would certainly lack issues in this department. ROH without a doubt puts on more actual wrestling than WWE and TNA, however this is not great wrestling. It is what is known as spot wrestling. Everytime I watch a ROH match I just can't get into it. It looks too choreographed, you can tell that the wrestlers talked over the entire match backstage, and that simply takes me out of the match. They do too many moves. That is to say, that many of the moves that we have come to expect as FINISHERS, such as a sit-down powerbomb for instance, is just another move in ROH. It's TOO much. Instead of looking realistic, which is what ROH is going for, they end up looking more questionable than WWE. Another thing is that the matches last WAY too damn long. Sure every now and then you need a long match, HBK vs Bret Hart at WM12 is one of my favorites, however that match was not spot heavy. It was wonderfully paced and never got boring. On the other hand, ROH has spot heavy matches that also last a decade, making it unwatchable at times.

The Wrestlers Themselves
I'll try to keep this one short because i'm not about to go over each wrestler. But just in general these guys have the personality of a baked potato. Some are better, some worse, but the majority cannot pull off a convincing promo. I watched them stutter, constantly blink and look around. Nobody captured my attention. Again, I don't expect them to pull off a Jake Roberts, Randy Savage, or a Dusty Rhodes like promo, but Jesus.

Unfortunately like the look of the ringside area and arena, the wrestlers themselves look so generic and ununique. Everyone has either short hair or an almost shaved head. Please can they add some color to their ring gear. We want exciting personalities that look and act differently from eachother.

Philosophy of the Promotion
This is the last thing and arguable the most important. ROH tries so damn hard to be like the UFC and I just can't understand why they would want to. In this day and age, practically everyone knows that wrestling is not a real contest. So why try to convince us it is ? I have known that wrestling wasn't a real sport since the first match I saw when I was about 9 years old, my dad just flat out told me. But that didn't make even the slightest difference to me, in fact it made it even more fascinating to me. By trying to be like the UFC so much, ROH is straying away from what makes wrestling great. You won't be able to simulate the excitement of MMA because it is a completely different thing so stop trying.

Anyway thanks for reading this 3 volume novel of a blog that I just purged out. I don't dislike ROH, I just wish it was a bit different .

Submit "What ROH gets Wrong" to Digg Submit "What ROH gets Wrong" to del.icio.us Submit "What ROH gets Wrong" to StumbleUpon Submit "What ROH gets Wrong" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've browsed only few matches of CMPunk, Joe, AJ and Daniel Bryan..n hav to admit they r morethan awesome..

I don hav any broadcast to see it in India..wat ever matches i've seen r by browsing n all of them r awesome..

I have to say..the company which has given the gr8est of technical wrestlers currently wrestling in North America like AJ/Christopher/DBryan/CMP/Joe cannot be mediocre in its wrestling...
    Updated 11-07-2011 at 11:35 AM by Sahu
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagg
    I do not understand your last comment, you like ROH but you just shat on EVERYTHING about the company. Every single thing up there is what makes ROH different from sports entertainment. As an ROH supporter, I dont want big colorful tv shows, I dont want people cheering for big stupid entrances, I dont want big sets, I dont want stupid gimmicks, I want GD wrestling and by god, thats what ROH gives me. And all the ROH supporters that have kept it alive for all this time, dont want any of that either. Remember ECW and how it just couldnt translate to TV? Neither can this company but bless their hearts, they keep trying. The only thing ill agree with you on is personalities, with cabana and claudio gone, theres not alot of character right now. But i dunno man, i think you need to stick with Sports Entertainment because if you cant appreciate ROH matches for what they are, that being the whole premise of the company, dont bother continuing to watch because its not for you.
    I didn't say I like ROH I said that I don't dislike it. Meaning that I am neutral towards it. This blog was meant to point out what I dislike about ROH. Of course other people might say that everything that I pointed out is what makes ROH great to them, but that's their opinion and they should write about it. I do like sports entertainment, but I also like the old school territory wrestling which ROH is borrowing from, that is to say they want it feel more like a sport which is great. However in the territories there was still an emphasis on promos and larger than life personalities. ROH lacks that magic that makes wrestling great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dub
    Slickman I have to disagree with you. I mean you are spot on with the quality and the promos but I gotta disagree with the wrestling aspect. I have seen sooooooooooooooooo many great matches from ROH. Have you seen the Steen/Generico, American Wolves table match? Have you seen the Bryan Danielson vs Tyler Black Match? Have you seen Eddie Edwards vs Davey Richards match? Have you seen the Aries/Mcguiness match? Have you seen Tag Team 4 corners match between KOW, Bricoes, WGTT, and All Night Express? The list goes on and on and on and on and the thing is... I just started watching ROH?!?!?!? I mean you can't deny the talent they currently have either(In the ring). Jay Lethal, Eddie Edwards, Nigel Mcguiness, WGTT, Briscoes, Davey Richards, Kevin Steen, El Generico, All night Express, Roderick Strong, TJ Perkins, O'Riley, T.Ciampa....THESE GUYS CAN FLAT OUT GO! And "Bagg" hit it right on the nail. ROH is WRESTLING therefore it is a breath of fresh air from WWE & TNA. Their primary concern is getting "actors" and developing characters and in the process wrestling is put on the back burner. ROH is the exact opposite they look for "wrestlers". Jay Lethal doesn't have to be a macho man knockoff anymore he can just go in the ring and perform. Shelton doesn't have to have a "Gold Standard"/"mama's boy" gimmick anymore(what was dat about WWE?!?!?!) he can just go in the ring and perform. When you think about it that's when he was at his best in the WWE WHEN THEY JUST LET HIM WRESTLE! That is why it is going to be so hard for Tyler Black to make it, thats why its going to be hard for Hero to make it, thats why it WAS hard for Kaval to make it... because the WWE wants gimmicks and characters first not wrestling. None the less good blog its always cool to see other wrestling fans veiws on different Promotions
    dub I have to admit I have not seen many of those matches lol. I will definitely check them out. My analysis, if you can call it that, was based solely on the three or so attempts at watching the weekly ROH TV on their website. I agree with you on Shelton. That guy had it all and WWE dropped him because I guess a guy who can put on a 5-star match, cut an above average promo, and has the superstar look wasn't enough for the creative team to work with. Go figure.
    This is exactly what I've been thinking!!
    I will say the Match quailty, ROH far exceeds ECW... ECW wasnt about matches more along the lines of great stories and Great promos and cutting edge stuff.
    I guess many people want entertainment, not just wrestling. Some complain that TNA doesn't have enough wrestling, and that ROH has too much, and not enough mic - work. But I think the WWE is kind of in the middle, thats why people always watch it. ROH isn't a sports entertainment company, like WWE and TNA. Its a wrestling company. Of course you're going to get ROH marks defending the company, calling it the best wrestling company in America. Hell even someone from ROH said that Davey Richards was the best wrestler in the world, when Punk cut that worked - shoot promo. The fact is, different people are going to have different opinions, but ROH isn't for everyone.
    When it comes to bang for your buck, ROH wins. I have been to many shows from the 3 companies and ROH is the only one I can say that I got my moneys worth every single time. ROH gets several hundred paying fans, sounds about the same for TNA shows (since they give tickets away for free). I'm not bashing TNA, but at least ROH has already taped more episodes on the road then Impact. Pyro is over rated.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.