View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

Is the Grass Greener in TNA?

Rating: 5 votes, 3.20 average.

Welcome back Splashers to this follow-up blog. Last weekend I talked about how the WWE had no problems using wrestlers from other organizations, and I got some excellent feedback. In that blog myself and my readers had no problems pointing out that when all those wrestlers came to the WWE, their careers flourished.

Before I go on I want to give a few shout-outs to a few of my readers: timfeyenoord, toobeastly33, The Next Big Thing, steveorton, B-ri, The Brown One, Saint Nick, and finally ColonyInk for beating me to the punch on this follow up (Read my feedbacks on my last blog for those of you who missed the joke.)

Also in my last Blog I stated that Rey Mysterio Jr. won his first World Title in WCW, I was mistaken. One of my readers “ryker” corrected me, and I checked it out, and I double checked, Rey won the TAG-TEAM Titles to become a double champion. I apologize. Thanks ryker.

OK Let’s get to it!

While TNA is clearly the smaller company, I see them doing the same thing WWE has been doing for over 30 years: grabbing viable talent wherever they can. Now I know some of my readers may debate the word “talent” with some the names mentioned today, but let’s not get off track. TNA has had no problems picking up legendary stars such as Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan, and has also picked up troubled stars such as the Hardy Boys. Let’s take a look at the list and see who has found greener pastures in TNA.

Kurt Angle:

While Kurt Angle’s career began in the WWE, the truth of the matter is it never stopped when he left. Kurt Angle continues to headline PPV’s and win World Titles. Kurt Angle has said in several interviews regarding TNA, that it’s a much less stressful environment. Although Angle did take a significant pay-cut, the amount of days he works were also cut significantly. TNA is well known for letting their wrestlers work on the side, which the WWE only does unless they get a cut.

Mickie James
Mickie James was one of the best Divas the WWE had. As far I’m concerned the WWE lost out BIG when it comes to Mickie. Since her arrival in TNA, she has won titles, been in cage matches, and done things no WWE Diva has ever done!

“The Pope” D’Angelo Dinero
While Pope has not has the most successful career in TNA, he has been able to do something he would never have been able to do in the WWE: He got his degree in criminal justice with high honors this past May. Name a WWE superstar who can work, and go get a degree with honors.

Jeff Hardy
Jeff Hardy’s success and troubles have followed him back and forth to WWE and TNA. When Jeff is clear of his demons, he is one of the best in the business, and even the WWE knows that. TNA was foolish to keep him on TV while he was battling the same demons I’m referring to. In the end I hope it was a wake-up call for Jeff. Did the WWE lose a star or a problem? It’s too early for me to really tell.

Booker T, Kevin Nash, & Mick Foley
All three of these stars were once with the WWE before they came to TNA. While Booker T and Kevin Nash never won the World Title during their stay in TNA, Mick Foley did win the TNA World Title once. Booker and Foley only stayed with TNA for 2 years, Nash stayed for over 6. There were rumors that Nash was close to re-signing with the company, but there were money issues. In the end all of them found their way back to the WWE.

Gail Kim
Gail Kim has been back and forth to the WWE and TNA several times. During her both times in the WWE Kim has always been a stepping stone, whereas in TNA she was a headliner. She even had a heated feud with Awesome Kong (Kharma) for the Knockout’s Title. Kim in my mind is another big loss for the WWE. They never used her properly, and I’m glad to see her back in TNA where she belongs.

Matt Morgan
Matt Morgan may have debuted in the WWE, but it was the TNA that gave him his career. In the WWE Morgan was nothing more than a stuttering, moron who was someone’s sidekick. In TNA is a contender for the World Title. Morgan is another prime example of how the WWE takes good talent and misuses it.

Christian (Cage)
During Christian’s short stay in TNA he won his first two World Titles. Something that the WWE never gave to him, until he returned. It’s unclear as to why Christian left the WWE in the first place, but many can guess as to why he went back so quickly…The bigger paycheck. There was also some speculation that Edge was a factor as he was still wrestling for the company, but at the end of the day the mighty dollar bill is everyone’s motivator. I guess it’s fair to say that Vince McMahon has become the Ted Turner of the 21st Century.

Bubba & Devon Dudley
No one but the Dudley's made their fame. When you have 22 tag-team titles from all over the world, no one company can say they made that team. They have split in their final years, and like most teams, one rises and the other falls. In this case Bubba appears to have gotten lucky playing the heel.

Kazarian
Frankie Kazarian is a “TNA Original”, and an X-Division legend. He went to the WWE in 2005 for a very short period, and is even undefeated. However Kaz left the WWE as they had no plans on revamping the Cruiserweight Division, and feared he would be nothing more than another forgotten stepping stone in the company. Kaz returned to TNA, continues to win titles, and claims he’s happy in TNA.

Ken Anderson
There is no doubt that Mr. Anderson’s (Formerly known as Mr. Kennedy) career started in the WWE, but what did he do in the WWE? Not much! His biggest accomplishment was in 2007, where he won Money in the Bank, but due to an injury he had to “lose it” in a match with Edge. Shortly after his return, he left the WWE. He debuted in TNA in January 2010, where he won two world titles.

One of my readers (The Brown One) pointed out that TNA tends to sign former WWE stars, push them to the World Title within a month’s time. And for the most part that’s accurate, however they don’t keep the title on that person long, so I think TNA is just getting contractual obligations out of the way. They don’t always keep titles on one person for 6-10 months at a time, so the title itself stays fresh, and just recently they gave the World Title to James Storm: A TNA Original.

I could continue on as TNA did the Hardcore Tour, where they signed just about every member from ECW for a short time. Some other names that I didn’t mention were RVD, Matt Hardy, Tara(Victoria), Winter(Katie-Lea Burchill), Scott Steiner, and Taz. But I think after reading this blog, I think many can agree with me that the grass can be greener in TNA. Over in the WWE you either shine or you’re a stepping stone, there really is no in-between. The WWE roster is overloaded, and continues to look for new talent every day. Until next time Splashers…See You when I See You -Rick Starr

Submit "Is the Grass Greener in TNA?" to Digg Submit "Is the Grass Greener in TNA?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is the Grass Greener in TNA?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is the Grass Greener in TNA?" to Google

Updated 11-04-2011 at 08:29 PM by Rick Starr (spell checking)

Tags: tna, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I couldn't agree more. Great read , i think steiner an rvd were over before they got to wwe in tna steiner seems to be happy even if he jobs most of the time ( used right imo) would like to se steiner as a manager someday. RVD hasen't commented in some time but he won the titles too and last we have heard from rvd he was happy
    Great read mate. Its true that TNA gives ex - WWE talent more airtime, and a chance to become a star, whereas they would be overlooked in the WWE ala Anderson, Christian. But I wouldn't exactly say that the grass is greener in TNA. TNA does have a lighter schedule, which does wonders for morale, as many of their talent have pointed out. But the amount of wages they pay their talent is disgraceful, even for Hogan. I heard the Knockouts get paid a maximum of $50k a year. Thats not good, even for the second biggest wrestling company in the States. This is likely why you see so many WWE talent moving back to WWE after a couple of years in TNA ala Nash, Booker, Foley, Christian, Kim.

Also, many TNA wrestlers aren't as stable as WWE talent, in the sense that TNA are less hard on them when it comes to alcohol/drug use. Perfect examples of this are Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy. They both did something they shouldn't have, and when you're the faces of your company, you make your company look bad. That received a sea of negative comments from the IWC, and even casual fans. It also makes people lose respect for those who partake in such things, and TNA, for allowing them to do so - even the beloved Kurt Angle lost some respect when he got caught for a DUI.

But with all that said, both companies have their advantages and disadvantages, and right now, they are both looking really good.
    Nice blog, always love a good shout out .
    My issue with TNA is that they seem to be trying to constantly make themselves WWE's competition, until there's a major change in the industry, TNA will NEVER be as big as the WWE. You don't just take over the wrestling business after 40+ years of dominance (Scratch 96-98). Personally I hope to god that TNA bring themselves up, become more original and do eventually challenge WWE, as CM Punk said, competition is great, they get better, we get better and everybody makes a lot of money.
    My only real criticism in all of this is that you kind of seemed to miss the points that people like Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle embarrassed themselves and others, I know they're not the first and they're damn sure not going to be the last but it's the idea that TNA is a "safe-haven" of sorts where superstars can go till they recover to a reasonable standard then jump back to WWE. Jeff Hardy's the perfect example of this. When he gave his good bye speech, he said let's not say good bye, just fair well and that he would be back. That's kind of a slap in the face to TNA as he's really only using them to guarantee he's in the spotlight whilst he's on his "down time".
    ANYWAY, enough rambling, nice blog, I know I criticise a lot but you made some valid points, it works both ways. Keep it coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One
    Great read mate. Its true that TNA gives ex - WWE talent more airtime, and a chance to become a star, whereas they would be overlooked in the WWE ala Anderson, Christian. But I wouldn't exactly say that the grass is greener in TNA. TNA does have a lighter schedule, which does wonders for morale, as many of their talent have pointed out. But the amount of wages they pay their talent is disgraceful, even for Hogan. I heard the Knockouts get paid a maximum of $50k a year. Thats not good, even for the second biggest wrestling company in the States. This is likely why you see so many WWE talent moving back to WWE after a couple of years in TNA ala Nash, Booker, Foley, Christian, Kim.
    It's true, TNA's financials are not the greatest, and for people like the Nash, Booker, and others they go back to the WWE because of the bigger paycheck. TNA is years behind the WWE, and Vince has millions of dollars at his dispense to boot. Others stay with TNA, for the simple fact that the WWE is a hard place to work. With the tough-nosed wellness policies, and tougher politics and schedules, some choose the lighter paycheck over the BS.
    Updated 11-05-2011 at 11:46 PM by Rick Starr
    Great Blog
    Updated 11-06-2011 at 08:32 PM by Rick Starr
    Quote Originally Posted by B-ri
    My only real criticism in all of this is that you kind of seemed to miss the points that people like Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle embarrassed themselves and others, I know they're not the first and they're damn sure not going to be the last but it's the idea that TNA is a "safe-haven" of sorts where superstars can go till they recover to a reasonable standard then jump back to WWE. Jeff Hardy's the perfect example of this. When he gave his good bye speech, he said let's not say good bye, just fair well and that he would be back. That's kind of a slap in the face to TNA as he's really only using them to guarantee he's in the spotlight whilst he's on his "down time".
    I didn't miss the point that some TNA wrestlers have had trouble with the law, I intentionally stirred away from that concept. The reason being is that both the WWE, and TNA has had several arrested superstars this year, (Look for it in my upcoming blog ) and that was not the focus of my discussion. Kurt Angle would have gotten the DUI no matter what company he was with, the fact that he's in TNA is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One

Also, many TNA wrestlers aren't as stable as WWE talent, in the sense that TNA are less hard on them when it comes to alcohol/drug use. Perfect examples of this are Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy. They both did something they shouldn't have, and when you're the faces of your company, you make your company look bad. That received a sea of negative comments from the IWC, and even casual fans. It also makes people lose respect for those who partake in such things, and TNA, for allowing them to do so - even the beloved Kurt Angle lost some respect when he got caught for a DUI.

But with all that said, both companies have their advantages and disadvantages, and right now, they are both looking really good.
    great repy on your part sir, I would just like to say a few things about the pay scale. The first thing if this is acceptable to the wrestlers why is this a concern to us. Why should they be paid the same for working 35% to 40% less than they do in wwe. Another thing is that there aren't that many other places to go in what seems like a few weeks ago austin aries was asked by fans why he left roh. One of the main reasons he cited was the pay. Granted I am paraphrasing at best his response was something along the lines of " it almost embarrassing how little we get paid" .

The last thing as far as ex wwe talent goes many of them have saved their money and don't need to work the indies but so long as it doesn't conflict with tna obligations they a free to make as much money as they can in the indies as a matter of fact they can ask for more money as a result of being on tv.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.