View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

WWE Picks Up the Leftovers Too?

Rate this Entry

Hello once again Splashers! For those of you who have read my blogs you might have noticed I have been gone for a couple of weeks. This was due to my laptop crashing, and costing me over $150 to fix. Well enough of the chit-chat, let's get down to it!

Whenever I read blogs or news reports that has to do with TNA, there is ALWAYS that one person who has to point out that TNA is filled with WWE leftovers. And the truth is they are 100% right! Now before that person starts geting a huge ego boost, and doing victory laps around thier computer this is where I start telling you things you might not want to hear. The truth of the matter is the WWE is also FILLED with "leftovers" from other wrestling organizations. In fact Vince McMahon made his first million by stealing the best talent away from the local venues and signing them with the company which was once known as the WWF.

Don't beleive it? The Monday Night Wars from 1995-2001, it was those years, and the final demise of WCW where the WWE bought out the WCW, where a huge surge of talent came into the company for many years. Let's take a look at some of these names and see if any of them look farmilliar to you...I'm gonna throw names out, just off the top of my head.

Chris Jericho
Before Chris Jericho was ever Y2J, he was the "Iatola of Rock & Rola". He won a few titles including the WCW TV Title, and the Crusier-Weight Title, however he never won the big WCW Title. One of WCW's biggest problems is that they never pushed any other talent. Jericho left for greener pastures in 1998 to the WWF/WWE.

Eddie Guerrero
As we all know Eddie sadly past away on November 13th 2005. He was another WCW wrestler who was being kept down from the politics in the back, and he even went in the ring with his luggage and told the company where to stick it and left for the WWE to one day become WWE champion at WrestleMania 20.

Rey Mysterio
Rey Myterio was known as Rey Mysterio Jr in WCW, and despite the fact at one point he was a double champion (WCW World Champion and WCW Cruiserweight Champion) for a short time, the cost was very high. In 1999 Rey Mysterio was in a Hair vs Match against Kevin Nash at Super Brawl IX. In the end Mysterio lost, and he was forced to remove his mask. He left WCW shortly after and arrived in WWE in 2001.

Mick Foley
Now I have not mentioned ECW much in this blog, and it's not that I don't reckongize that company, far from it. I just feel that just about everyone had been in ECW in the early 90's. That was where most wresstlers would go for thier first chance to break into the buisness. and Mick Foley was a big part of ECW. People think his Hell in a Cell matches were brutal...go look up his barbed wire matches against Terry Funk.

Mick wrestled under the name "Cactus Jack" in WCW from 91-94, and he was never happy with the company, especially when Eric Bichoff took over.

Jim Ross
We have been talking alot about wrestler, so I though I'd change the pace a bit. Yep that's right Good Ol' J.R. is even came from another company, before he came to the WWE. SHOCKING! isn't it? Ross worked with the NWA/WCW for many years, and was working his way up the executive ladder. Somehow in the scheme of things Eric Bichoff got a promotion, and that's when things started to go south for J.R. He left the company in 1993.

C.M. Punk
Here's a twist, C.M. Punk came from TNA. While there is no doubt the WWE has given him more opportunities, and a far better career than TNA did it just proves that WWE picking up TNA's talent as well.

Kharma
Here is another great TNA talent, formerly known as Awesome Kong. Kong had a great career in TNA and was a dominant force in the Knockout Division (That's Diva's in TNA for those of you who just don't watch TNA.) However her career in TNA came to an abrupt end, when she had a nasty dispute with Bubba the Love Sponge; a radio shock jock that was with TNA at the time. TNA management did not back Kong on the dispute, and ultimately she left the company.

Still not convinced? well here's a few of other names that has worked for televised wrestling organizations, and eventually came to the WWE/WWF.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin
(aka - "Stunning" Steve Austin World Class Championship Wrestling)

The Undertaker
(aka "Mean" Mark Callous WCW & World Class Championship Wrestling)

Booker T

Chris Benoit

Dean Malenko

DDP

Those are the big names that are of the top of my head, and most of them are either past away, or are not on the active roster. I'm sure if I really hunted for more I could find others, but I think I got the point across. That the WWE has no problems picking up leftovers from other wrestling companies. Today the WWE has other venues to find new talent (NXT, Tough Enough, and the FCW), but that doesn't stop them frmo their traditional routes to finiding good talents.

In this Blog I've talked about how the grass has been greener in the WWE, but has the grass been greener for those who left the WWE for TNA? That's what I'm going to talk about in my next blog. So until next time Splashers...Keep on Splashin'! -Rick Starr

Submit "WWE Picks Up the Leftovers Too?" to Digg Submit "WWE Picks Up the Leftovers Too?" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE Picks Up the Leftovers Too?" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE Picks Up the Leftovers Too?" to Google

Updated 10-31-2011 at 01:20 AM by Rick Starr

Tags: tna, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Almost all of these guys that the WWE has picked up were young talent. Most of the criticism to TNA is that they pick up the older talent. ALso Mysterio has never been WCW World Champ
    I don't know what the point of this blog was? Anybody who insinuates that wwe hasn't taken "leftovers" is frankly insane
    Almost all of these guys that the WWE has picked up were young talent. Most of the criticism to TNA is that they pick up the older talent. ALso Mysterio has never been WCW World Champ
    I have to agree. these are talents that started somewhere, but solidified themselves in the WWE. TNA picks up people that have had their career raised to a high level in the WWE and when they ran their course TNA snags them for name value. People like punk were nothing in TNA so it hardly counts. Just saying.
    thats also not to say WWE doesn't do it because they do. It just not as blatant and not as often.
    Quote Originally Posted by toobeastly33
    I have to agree. these are talents that started somewhere, but solidified themselves in the WWE. TNA picks up people that have had their career raised to a high level in the WWE and when they ran their course TNA snags them for name value. People like punk were nothing in TNA so it hardly counts. Just saying.
    WcW had the exact same business model as tna surprise surprise, cept back in the 90's those supposedly past it folks like Hulk and Savage still had major clout and why it worked for them, as opposed to signing ex wwe guys who may have been a name in the organisation but are absolutely unknown to the mainstream public
    Quote Originally Posted by timfeyenoord
    ^^^This. Also Eddie became WWE champion at No Way Out. CM Punk had a small stint in Tna but everyone remembers him from ROH when not thinking about the WWE. The only talent you have listed that makes any sense is Awesome Kong because she was one of the pioneers of the KO division. I think what you meant to say was that WWE recruits talents from other wrestling organiztions and makes them into stars whereas Tna recruits already established WWE stars and pushes them. Basically it is Tna that picks up the Leftovers. I am not bashing Tna but this is what happens. Why Tna does this? Simply for exposure WWE stars are more known in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Next Big Thing
    I don't know what the point of this blog was? Anybody who insinuates that wwe hasn't taken "leftovers" is frankly insane
    The point of this blog was very simple. There are many people out there who think that when TNA picks up WWE's wrestler's that are relesed ("leftovers") it's a bad thing. I just thought it was about time someone pointed out, that everyone, including the biggest buisness (WWE) made it's millions by doing just that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.