View RSS Feed

Tall

Greatest Feuds of the Attitude Era - Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mick Foley

Rating: 9 votes, 3.67 average.
This blog is about a wrestler who wrestled at the very top and was suggested by both Knox and Sahu. Hope I did him service.
-
One of the best main eventers of the Attitude Era, this character was one of the most hated heels/ most popular faces from 1996 to 2000. Somewhat of a cult hero in the wrestling world, he was not the most agile or technically gifted of wrestlers but always put on a great match. You may know him as Mankind, Dude Love, Cactus Jack or even (for those fond of a classic J.R. catchphrase) Mrs. Foley’s baby boy.

When Mankind debuted in 1996 he didn’t look anything like the Mankind of ’99. There was no white shirt and tie, no Mr Socko and no witty remarks. He would cradle himself in the middle of matches, pull out his hair and call out ‘Mommy’.

And whereas most new wrestlers to the WWF worked their way up from the bottom of the stack, he attacked one of the leading wrestlers of the time, The Undertaker. King of the Ring ’96, which seems to have become a reoccurring theme in my blogs, was where he made his PPV debut. While Mankind and his many alter egos put on countless classic matches it should also be noted that few wrestlers, Shawn Michaels included, could consistently perform at such a high level at PPVs.

One of the biggest shocks of 1996 occurred at the next PPV, Summerslam. Mankind and The Undertaker battled in a Boiler Room Brawl. In a definitive moment, Paul Bearer who had been managing the Demon of Death Valley since February 1991 turned on The Undertaker, deciding Mankind was the better option.

Mankind subsequently became the number one contender, and in a brilliant 27 minute match he lost out to Shawn Michaels due to interference from The Undertaker. The two foes met again in the first ever Buried Alive match at In Your House, where Mankind was triumphant when several heel characters helped to bury The Undertaker.

The Undertaker got his revenge at Survivor Series when he finally defeated Mankind at a PPV event. The feud came to a close shortly after WrestleMania 13, where The Undertaker had become WWF Champion, at In Your House: Revenge of the Taker. The Deadman was successful in his first title defence and this not only ended the feud, which had lasted around an entire year, but also Paul Bearer’s time in the WWF for a while.

Shortly afterwards Mankind made the first transformation of his WWF career to one of his older characters created during his childhood (and maybe even my personal favourite for comedy moments). Stone Cold and Shawn Michaels had won the Tag Team Titles but as Michaels was unable to defend his title Austin was in need of a partner. He refused the partnership of Mankind but what he received in the end was something nobody was expecting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQsqSyCaUs

He also had one of the best entrance videos of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK2Cu...eature=related

Austin suffered a broken neck at the hands of Owen Hart at Summerslam ’97 which meant the Tag Team Champions relinquished their gold. Dude Love went on to have a feud with Triple H which coincided with the next of his transformations. In a strange but wonderful segment, Dude Love interviewed Mankind as to who should fight Triple H in a street fight match and they both came to the same conclusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJeW3yIjwM

It was one of the greatest Raw matches of all time. Then an old friend from Foley’s hardcore days made a return to the ring. Terry Funk, or Chainsaw Charlie as he was known, joined forces with Cactus and they went on to defeat the New Age Outlaws for the Tag Team Titles at WrestleMania 14. Their reign didn’t last long though. The next night they were forced to defend the titles in a cage match against the Outlaws. This was the night the New Age Outlaws joined DX and to prove their new union X-Pac, Triple H and Chyna were ringside to assist the Outlaws in winning back their gold.
Foley became a heel when he announced that the fans would not see him anymore as they didn’t appreciate him. Vince McMahon granted Foley a shot at Austin’s WWF Title at Unforgiven which Stone Cold won. After Foley proved himself worthy of a rematch he took on Austin again at Over The Edge ’98 and with McMahon in his corner it looked like he wouldn’t lose. Unfortunately for Foley, his old nemesis The Undertaker was at ringside to make sure the match was called fairly and in the end he lost again, and was subsequently ‘fired’ by McMahon.

On the same Raw he was fired, he returned as Mankind. He attacked The Undertaker which led to the legendary Hell in a Cell match. I would write about this match but my words wouldn’t do it justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGF01k9wkg

By putting his body on the line he had finally cemented himself as a main eventer and to an audience who were unaware of his non-WWF days, a hardcore legend. Following the match he and Kane held the Tag Team Titles twice and battled The Undertaker and Austin. Those four were really the only main eventers before The Rock and Triple H made the jump up. He also started to become the goofy character that would make him hugely popular with the audience. This involved trying to become friends with the hated Mr McMahon as shown in this classic clip where Mr Socko made his debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds388kwG0eA

McMahon used Foley though. He made him believe he was going to become the Corporate Champion at Survivor Series ’98 when instead he screwed him and presented the WWF Title to The Rock.

After weeks of trying to win the WWF Title he finally had his best opportunity on December 29th 1998. The Raw taping was shown on January 4th and as usual the WCW commentators would reveal the results of their opposition’s show. It famously backfired as many people watching WCW switched over to see Mrs. Foley’s baby boy win his first WWF Title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-N2MnuwlXw

Mankind would go on to have a wonderful set of matches with The Rock including an I Quit match at the Royal Rumble which he lost and a ladder match on an episode of Raw. He was successful in helping Stone Cold win the WWF Title at WrestleMania XV when he counted the winning pinfall.
He would later join forces with the now popular Rock and they formed the team of The Rock and Sock Connection. They achieved Raw’s highest ever ratings with this famous segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWMtCQkXr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbJdX...eature=related

Mankind won the WWF Title for the third time at Summerslam ’99 when he defeated Stone Cold and Triple H in a match nobody expected him to win. Unfortunately his reign didn’t last long and he lost to Triple H the next night.
The two would battle again at Royal Rumble 2000 when Foley returned to his Cactus Jack persona. They put on a classic performance in a street fight match and put in a great performance again at No Way Out in a Hell in a Cell match which was officially Foley’s retirement match.

He came back for the four man battle royal at WrestleMania 2000, being eliminated second, and this was his last full time wrestling appearance. He took over from Shawn Michaels as WWF Commissioner in one of his most entertaining roles as a wrestler. He became famous for getting cheap pops from the crowd by usually just naming the place they were, making lame jokes and setting up his office in odd places e.g. women’s toilet. This is maybe my favourite Commissioner moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-f4sUKPkZQ

He left the WWF as Commissioner at the end of December 2000 and he was never a full time WWF talent again.

Mick Foley/ Mankind/ Dude Love/ Cactus Jack/ Mrs. Foley’s baby boy. He was easily one of the greatest wrestlers of the ‘90s, and perhaps one of the greatest entertainers. What should be remembered about Foley are three things.

First of all, he was one of best main eventers ever at selling his opponent. He returned in 2004 to sell Randy Orton, losing twice at PPV events to the Legend Killer, despite the feud being of no benefit to him. At his prime he didn’t think twice about his own reputation and put over guys like Triple H, The Rock and Stone Cold when they needed the focus. Guys like Shawn Michaels, Triple H and, most famously, Hulk Hogan all look at themselves as brands that they need to protect. Foley never did that.

Secondly, when looking at the WWE roster it’s clear to see a lack of originality. Foley had three characters in his time in the WWF, all original and distinctive. His imagination made all three characters entertaining and worthy of air time. It’s a shame to see the same recycled ideas on T.V now, such as generic cocky heel who only cares about appearance with utter lack of personality (I’m looking at you Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Alberto Del Rio, Wade Barrett, Drew McIntyre) when he was able to reinvent himself so many times.

Finally, and most importantly, he should be remembered for his service to the fans. Few wrestlers were ever as hard working for the fans as he was. He broke his body many times in matches for the fans, he put on consistently great performances week after week for the fans and he would always make it paramount to entertain the fans.

When people discuss the best wrestlers of the last twenty years they mention Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, Triple H and Kurt Angle among others. In terms of wrestling ability, classic matches and entertainment value he would put many of them to shame. For all the time he spent entertaining us the least we can do is remember him for it. Mick Foley truly is God.

Submit "Greatest Feuds of the Attitude Era - Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mick Foley" to Digg Submit "Greatest Feuds of the Attitude Era - Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mick Foley" to del.icio.us Submit "Greatest Feuds of the Attitude Era - Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mick Foley" to StumbleUpon Submit "Greatest Feuds of the Attitude Era - Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mick Foley" to Google

Tags: mick foley
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great Blog!!!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!(For you and for Foley).Mick was,is and will be one of the best.
    Thanks. For those who commented on my last blog I will be covering your reequests as well.
    1. The Rock Vs Stone Cold
    2. WrestleMania 14 Special - Ken Shamrock Vs The Rock/Triple H Vs Owen Hart
    3. Chris Jericho Vs Chris Benoit Vs Kurt Angle (A mixture of combined e.g. WrestleMania 2000 and solo feuds e.g. Benoit/Jericho Royal Rumble 2001

If anyone else has any requests feel free to post
    Mick Foley was, is, and always will be a joke. He should have never held the WWE/WHC Title(s) in the first place. Having the ability to get your a** kicked and bleed is not a prerequisite to being the champ. He's a glorified stunt man. Nothing more, nothing less. Funny to watch him get beat up, but other than that he's worthless. A blog about Mick Foley is like tits on a boar hound, just don't make sense.
    Thank you so much for doing this. You answered my request. Respectfully and accurately done in respects to Mick Foley. This is a very well rounded and written blog that does an awesome job documenting one of the greatest stars in the history of wrestling. Thanks a million dude. Definitely made the AE that much important with his many high profile feuds with main event guys and his versatility on the mic with portraying so many different characters
    ThanX for the blog man!! Its gr8 that u have covered all of his gr8 feuds...withj UT to The Rock to HHH..

Mick Foley is a gr8 gr8 prowrestler...he knows how to sell a match, how to sell his opponent n how to sell a show.....

At times when WCW was winning the ratings war..n WCW programming was better than WWF..."Mick Foley Put My Ass in The Seat"...n he with the Rock gave Monday Night Raw The Highest Rating Ever with "This is my Life"...

I luv him, I admire him....he's one of my all time favorites..I stands 3rd in my All time fav 5 after Bret n HBK...
    Mick Foley was, is, and always will be a joke. He should have never held the WWE/WHC Title(s) in the first place. Having the ability to get your a** kicked and bleed is not a prerequisite to being the champ. He's a glorified stunt man. Nothing more, nothing less. Funny to watch him get beat up, but other than that he's worthless. A blog about Mick Foley is like tits on a boar hound, just don't make sense.
    I accept that he's no Bret or Kurt in technique...he's no Hulk or Cena in luks n charm...he's no Rock / SCSA on mic...he's not having backstage politics like HHH/Nash...

He's green compared to many ppl with whom he delivered MOST of his feuds...he luks bad..he has no charm...

But, there is one thing that made him a True LEGEND..that is his PASSION...I have not seen anybody who is as passionate as Mick in that ring...he can take unprotected chair shots, he allows ppl to power bomb him on concrete floor n gets legitimately injure..he can allow himself to get chokeslammed frm the top of the cell, he can be a hangman putting his life online..he can take a bump on thumtacks, again n again..even when he knows that he's not going to be pushed to bigger things...he can take a crash on a table with fire only to put some young wrestlers..he gave career making matches to many wrestlers at the cost of his own body...without expecting any returns...

The gr8est of all time like Bret/HBK/Rock/HHH all of them r massive egos...n they never compromise their pride where Foley can go to any extent for business n never showed any ego...

Any promotion (i mean AAny promotion) can easily hands down drop its World Championship to him....

n moreover, he's above championships and above any promotions....he's the personification of PASSION...
    Whatever; He's not a true legend, His passion didn't allow him to take unprotected chair shots - he was just too dumb to learn how to protect himself while still making the chair shot look good. A hardcore legend I can believe, but don't tell me he's one of the greatest wrestlers in history, that's like saying Gillberg was one of the strongest men in the world.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.