View RSS Feed

knox

The Rise & Fall of Scott Hall (No Pun Intended)

Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
Hey guys Knox here.. I have to talk about Scott Hall today. No beef with Scott Hall, dude was definitely a hero to me back in his WWF days. He was the definition of "The Bad Guy". Easily one of the greatest gimmicks ever.

I'm going to blog on what I think ultimately destroyed Scott Hall's career and his personal life.

I have to blog on my personal hero RAZOR RAMON. I love the guy and its a shame to see what happened to his career and his life.

The Normal Life of a Pro Wrestler:
Going in, family is the most sacred entity to wrestlers. They rarely see them. Scott Hall seemed like he started off as a family guy. He was awesome. He went and joined the AWA and I'm not sure what happened after that.

Razor Ramon - "The Bad Guy" Gimmick
This might be the greatest gimmick in wrestling history. Scott Hall created his own gimmick and Vince let him run with it. I think The Undertaker has one of the worst gimmicks but he happens to be an amazing wrestler and knows how to carry a gimmick.

Scott Hall had the best gimmick. All he had to do was run with it. I don't understand why he left the WWE.

Scott gave us two of the best matches we've ever seen against Shawn Michaels in two ladder matches. The dude was awesome. His mic skills were 2nd to none. He was the bad guy you loved to love. He was a better face than a heel in my opinion and his gimmick was centered as a heel gimmick.

The Fall of Scott Hall - Jumping Ship from WWF to WCW:
This is what killed his career. If anyone watched WWF in the early 90's, everyone could see that Razor Ramon was the guy that was possibly next in line to being one of the top guys in the company.

I think Razor Ramon was well on his way to being a multiple time WWF Champion. He had the full package, the perfect look, the mic skills and definitely the in ring skills along with the perfect gimmick and the fans were completely obsessed with him. Why walk away from that?

TNA officials offer him & Kevin Nash damn near double their salary. Kevin Nash & Scott Hall were promised WCW World Title runs as well. My source is the WWE Legends of Wrestling Round table Talks in which Nash personally said this.

Instead Scott Hall turned coat on the WWE just to be an asset and another sheep next to Hulk Hogan. They were brought in to just be additions to the nWo and continue to put Hogan over more than he already was.

WCW had no plans in making Hall the next big thing. The WCW knew how cool he was with Nash. Nash already wanted more money. WCW seen the huge star power Hall had in WWF and wanted to strip the E' of that asset and bring Hall in to play 2nd sheep. Biggest mistake of Scott Hall's career and ever since then it never gotten fixed.

WCW ignoring Hall's drinking problem:
The issue brewed here in WCW. Hall was always a drinker but it was in WCW were he was becoming a problem. I believe it was star power. In the WWF, Hall wasn't perfect. But Hall damn sure followed Vince's rules and played his role because he knew he was in for a hell of a push.

In WCW after about 2 years Hall realized that this is Hogan's show. WCW didn't give a damn about anybody but Sting & Hogan. They didn't give a damn about guys like Jericho or Big Show which is why they jumped ship to the WWF.

Meanwhile Hall is becoming an even bigger addict and WCW officials don't even pay it any mind. Hall's ex-wife even mentioned how Eric Bischoff and the rest of the WCW officials allowed him to continue his destructive behavior and even exploited it. I will personally always hate Bischoff. He was a horrible promoter and to this day is still running TNA into the ground and I for one feel TNA was at an all time high when Jim Cornette was around.

Scott Hall: The Person
Now I won't sit here and blame Hall's personal faults on Bischoff alone. Scott made the conscious decisions to kill his own thunder. I just feel he was better behaved in the WWF when he knew he had something to fight for. He jumped to WCW and received alot of broken promises and drove his life into a downward spiral.

However, that's no excuse to take that out on your son & daughter. One thing that every young man needs is a father. Whether it's an older brother, a man at church, or even a coach. Every young man needs a father figure. Scott Hall is in his right mind but he chose to run from his own kids.

Scott Hall's Story on ESPN:
This was horrible on. I feel like they are a company based on the real sports like basketball, football, baseball and hockey. Now granted they do alot of wrestling related interviews and such but I think the video just added to the poor stereotypes the public make upon wrestlers.

That Scott Hall story received huge ratings because it was featured on the most viewed channel around, ESPN. So the 4 million people that watch Raw & the 1 million that watch Impact are nothing compared to the millions more that seen the Hall story.

Nothing against ESPN, I just want to see more specials like that on wrestlers for a positive reason. Profile the career of Hacksaw Jim Duggan, profile the career of the great Ricky The Dragon Steamboat, profile the career of Arn Anderson. Hell' profile Sting, he still wrestles. But it seems like it has to be a wrestler that battled drugs to get the top story.

VIDEOS:
I'm going to post some videos below of good & bad Scott Hall moments.

Video 1: Razor Ramon on Jerry Springer speaking to a little girl & boy with aids.

Video 2: Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels - Ladder Match Summerslam 95'. This was better than the one they had at Wrestlemania.

Video 3: This is where is gets bad. Scott Hall nWo promo kissing the ass of Hogan. Why did he leave the WWF?

Video 4: The official Fall of Scott Hall

Conclusion:
That last video was sad. I'm not here trying to bash this man. I'm blogging on a childhood hero. It's never too late for Hall. I always wanted to know if Shawn Michaels ever reached out to Hall. They used to do drugs together but HBK actually beat those drugs. Hopefully he can help Hall out.

Its called addiction, it happens. Hall is in his right mind, and he knows what he's doing is bad. He has to truly want to get help before anything gets solved.

I truly hope the best for Hall and I hope he gets help and make something out of the rest of his life. To hell with wrestling, his career is behind him. He has to worry about Scott Hall the person and Scott Hall the father.

Thanks guys for reading my blog and please leave feedback. Until then.

Submit "The Rise & Fall of Scott Hall (No Pun Intended)" to Digg Submit "The Rise & Fall of Scott Hall (No Pun Intended)" to del.icio.us Submit "The Rise & Fall of Scott Hall (No Pun Intended)" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Rise & Fall of Scott Hall (No Pun Intended)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very interesting as always.

I can't agree with you about his jump to WCW at least not the early part of his run. Hall was an integral part of turning the tide for WCW. He was so vital to the realism and the ability to suspend disbelief. Him turning up on Nitro was a magic moment. They also paid him more than the WWF would, that is spectualtion of course.

I agree that he became less of a focus but I think his behind the scenes actions were as much an influence as anything else that stopped him from rising from the top. Those issues would have stopped him if he'd stayed in WWF as well, at least in my view. If the WWF was the place

As far as WCW exploiting his issues, well WWF did it with Hawk, TNA are doing it with Jeff Hardy...it isn't right but Hall's case isn't unique.

I think the ESPN spot's most revealing moment was the story about him shooting someone. I think that has haunted Hall, fame, money and success couldn't stop him drinking to try and forget.
    Updated 10-26-2011 at 09:17 AM by JoePublic
    First off, family is not the most sacred entity to wrestlers. $$$ and fame are. Scott Hall was a drunk and drug addict before he even got into the WWF/WWE. He was not up for a huge push when he jumped to WCW, that is why both him and Nash left the WWE. Your source is the WWE Legends of Wrestling Round table Talks in which Nash personally said this. And we all know that Nash is nothing but honest - (yeah, right) - and that he has never said anything about anybody for his own gain - (yeah, right). Personally, I don't care a rats a** about Hall. He made his bed, let him lay in it. If he's in his right mind as you say then he don't care nor does he want to change.
    @JoePublic, whats up bro, always good to hear your insight. I just think that he was never in the plans of being a top guy in WCW. I feel that had him booked the whole time as that top midcard guy that can have some runs in the main event but never nothing permanent. He was a big part of the whole story as he was in the original 3 for the nWo so I agree with you there.

You also made a cool point about issues being exploited. I never thought about it like that when you mentioned the Hawk & Hardy. Lol that's the point of these blogs however, sometime we leave out information so thanks for letting me know bro. Hall did have his moments where he was a dick and hard to work with but thats in WCW. I haven't heard any stories about his attitude when he was in the WWF.

@Dr. Death, family is 100% the most sacred thing to these. Once you have the fame, it doesn't go anywhere, whether its good or bad fame people will always remember you. But your telling being on the road in random cities for over 300 days a year doesn't make family the most sacred entity. Whether its you mom or dad, your wife or your kids, your not seeing people that your used to seeing on the regular basis as often before.

And yeah man I'm guessing you weren't a Hall fan but yeah your right he was a drunk. Alot of his demons were self inflicted but like JoePublic said, I think that shooting bothered him his whole life.
    I think the sinker for Hall was his return to WWE as part of the NWO. If he'd been able to get a handle on things then he might be in a much better position now, in so many ways. It's really very sad to see him as he is now.

In WCW I think one outgrowth of lack of management was their complicity in letting him become a tweener. He boxed himself in with that as did Nash.
    First off good Blog....I dont agree with some of it but thats what makes it a good blog as its opinions and it opens up discussions.

You seem to pretty much blame the whole demise of SH on when he left WWF to go WCW and on EB. The fact is his whole problems started in the WWF..... The road trips that him, Nash, Waltman, Michaels and HHH are legendary in the business, they were the "made" guys of the WWF at that time and were drinking, drug taking and just basically rising hell (including cheating on "sacred" family) when they wanted to and the WWF including Vince all turned a blind eye.

Now the reason he moved to WCW was two maybe even three fold. But what it all really boiled down to was the money, the green backs. Hall had been a massive star in WWF, but was he getting pushed for world title? no it was still Hitman this and that or Micheals or someone else (Bob frigging Buckland). Hall had held the IC title four times! it was well known that back that when you held the IC belt it pretty much meant you were inline for the big one but that never arrived.

Now in my opinion the reason Hall never got the "big" one was because i think vince knew he would become a liability, plus he had all these other "clean" cut looking guys that were getting paid more and thus making noises and whom i think Vince could control more.

We all know the WWF was paying guys silly money and when Nash and Hall left this was the beginning of the WWF trying to save money...Ironically by letting them go they cost themselves more money at the time as WCW really came alive.

I do think the wrestling landscape would have been different if WCW hadnt dropped the ball with Hall tho...And by that i mean i do think if they had made him the Top Guy and the World champ i think WWF(E) would be the ones out of business...That being said i also think the Hall landscape would still be as it is now. The guy has an illness and the only one that can cure it is him, unfortunately i think hes past the point of no return and ultimately it will end only one way.

That being said if i saw him down the street i'd still say "HELLO TO THE BADGUY" raise my hand and give the Woflpac gesture, because for the time he was in the ring he was one of the all time best and he was the bad guy you simply wanted to be.
    @ Knox Since WHEN is family the most sacred thing to wrestlers? Are you presuming to know the wrestlers personally? If they truly believed family was more important, then they wouldn't be gone 95% or more of the year. There are other jobs available that pay just as well and enables them to be home for their families. And NO, it doesn't make family the most sacred when you don't show it by being on the road in random cities 300 days a year.

I do know some wrestlers personally, and even though they love their families, it's not so important to them as the rush of the crowd and the travel and fame/fortune. This is simply the way it is for wrestlers. I have my family and we are content with ourselves. I gave up a lot of opportunities to be with my family because they mean more than fame/fortune.

If Hall couldn't handle shooting someone, then he shouldn't have tried to be something he's not. Not very many have what it takes to shoot someone and have a clean conscious. But it is no excuse to behave the way he has. I learned the hard way.
    Wow, all I can say is @Dr. Death, @JoePublic and definitely @StoneColdRabbit made amazing points. I like to see things from every prospective so its cool to see the different opinions. Great points guys.

So here's my question. Doe anyone feel Scott Hall or Razor Ramon could've been a better star than HBK if it wasn't for personal problems? I feel like the WWE were more open to working with HBK through his drug problem because HBK might've been the biggest druggie but he never let it get in the way of his ring work.

I think Hall messed up because he put himself in a hole that he couldn't get out of. Alot of wrestlers drugged alot back in those days but the good ones were the ones that didn't let it interfere with them. I think HBK got more opportunities because he finally submitted to himself and told himself he had a problem and solved it himself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.