View RSS Feed

Mr. McMahon

Wrestlers who should have won Royal Rumble

Rate this Entry
This blog is about wrestlers who I think should have won a past Royal Rumble instead of the person that actually won it. It will also list how I would book the wrestler at Wrestlemania. I think it would have been better if it actually went this way.

1999:
Original Winner: Mr. McMahon
My Pick: The Rock
Since The Rock faced Stone Cold at WrestleMania that year, I think it would have made sense to have him win the Royal Rumble since Vince winning the Rumble was really pointless. It would have made The Rock look even much more stronger, I definitely think The Rock was ready to win Royal Rumble 1999 judging by how over he was at Survivor Series 1998. I would have Stone Cold win this one, only because The Rock would win at WM 19.

2000:
Original Winner: The Rock
My Pick: Triple H
I would have booked for the Big Show to keep his title and then loose it to The Rock at Royal Rumble, while Triple H eliminates Foley to win the Royal Rumble. I would keep the same main event at WM as it was, except The Rock would walk in as champion and HHH would win the title and get his super push by going over 3 huge superstars.

2002:
Original Winner: Triple H
My Pick: Kurt Angle
I would have booked Triple H to defeat Y2J at No Way Out and become the Undisputed Champion. Angle would go on to face Triple H at WrestleMania and win the title. I personally thought HHH coming back and winning the Rumble and the title at Mania was too predictable, besides according to my booking HHH already would have won Royal Rumble 2000 and later on in 2002 would be World Champion with his lengthy reigns. Angle was way over at this time, coming out as the top baby face of 2001 and then turning heel, what better time to book Angle to win RR and WM? Perfect timing when he was young and energetic.

2003:
Original Winner: Brock Lesnar
My Pick: Chris Jericho
Brock Lesnar didn't really need to win the Royal Rumble, he was already way over and had defeated Hogan, Rock, RVD, Undertaker, Flair. HBK would have still been World Champion defeating HHH at Armageddon, so at WM it would be Y2J vs HBK for the title. While Lesnar would win a battle royal at SD and face Angle for the title. Which would leave HHH to face Booker T in a single's match. Jericho would win the title, then loose it at Judgement Day to HHH in a fatal four way match (HHH vs Nash vs Jericho vs Booker T).

2004:
Original Winner: Chris Benoit
My Pick: Eddie Guerrero
Eddie wins the Rumble and faces Angle at WM for the title. Angle beats Lesnar at No Way Out and turns heel afterwards. Benoit gets fired from Smackdown, goes to Raw and wins a tournament and faces HHH & HBK at WM. Eddie wins WWE title, and Benoit wins World title at WM. I just think the timing here was perfect for Eddie to win the Rumble, not 2005 or 2003 but 2004 was the perfect timing for Eddie.

2006:
Original Winner: Rey Mysterio
My Pick: Randy Orton
I am pretty sure that if Eddie didn't pass away, Rey would not win the rumble, let alone the world title at WM. I personally thought it was a waste to have him win. Orton at this time was ready to win the Rumble. He was already world champion, IC champion and had defeated Benoit, Undertaker, RVD, Flair... etc. This was the time for Randy Orton to win the Royal Rumble. I would have had Orton face Batista for the title at WM and have him beat Batista. But since Batista was injured, my second choice would be to have Orton face Eddie for the title and beat him. Eddie/Orton at WM would have been much more interesting than Angle/Orton since Eddie makes a better face.

2007:
Original Winner: The Undertaker
My Pick: Edge
I think it was way too late in Undertaker's career to win the Royal Rumble. He didn't need this win, just like the previous year I think they wasted it by having him win. They could still have Taker/Batista at WM for the title, but have Taker win a tournament or EC match. Edge would face Cena for the WWE Title at Wrestlemania and beat him clean. Edge/Cena would be having this long rivalry since 2006 and would be ending it at WM. I guess I would make it a Hell In A Cell match, maybe a crazy spot where Cena does an FU on Edge through the Cell, I know Edge said that he always wanted to do a huge spot with HIAC. John Cena is slowly climbing down the cell and suddenly Mr. Kennedy rushes to the ring and cashes his MITB to win the title from Edge, Cena can't make it down in time to stop Kennedy from pinning Edge. Apparently it becomes a triple threat match so under that rule, Kennedy doesn't have to pin Cena to win the belt.

2008:
Original Winner: John Cena
My Pick: Mr. Kennedy
Cena was the biggest star in the company, there was no need for him to win this Rumble, all it did was add that to his resume but could have been used for someone else. I know people don't like Kennedy but when he was in WWE he was one of the best mid carders on mic, and if you can talk on the mic in WWE then you can put asses in seats and sell = champion. So Kennedy wins the Rumble and faces Cena for the WWE title at WM. Kennedy has been dodging Cena since last years WM, he looses the title to HHH sometime in 2007 who then looses it to Cena. Finally after winning the Rumble, Kennedy gets a chance to face Cena, no more running. Cena hits the FU on Kennedy and gets ready to pin him, just then Edge rushes down to the ring with the newly won MITB and hits Cena with the briefcase and spears Kennedy, pins him and becomes Champion. Just like last year, it turns into a triple threat match and Edge doesn't have to pin Cena to be champion. He gets his revenge and then the 3 of them finally finish it off in a triple threat street fight at Backlash, which I guess Cena wins to send the kiddies home happy.

2009:
Original Winner: Randy Orton
My Pick: Christian
Since Orton already won the 2006 Rumble, there is no need for him to win this one. Makes a surprise return and faces Edge at WM and wins the world title. Shorty after, he turns heel, Edge wins WWE title and they both win world tag team titles and hold 2 championships each while dominating 2009.

2010:
Original Winner: Edge
My Pick: Cody Rhodes
Would have had Cody start his dashing gimmick in 2008, then his disfigured gimmick in 2009 by which he would have won tag team and ic title. He would be ready to win the rumble at this time. Orton turns face and Cody faces him for the title at WM. Cody wins with help from Ted, don't want Orton to look weak as his just turned face.

2011:
Original Winner: Alberto Del Rio
My Pick: CM Punk
Punk cuts all his controversial promos in late 2010 with his feud with Cena, so by this time he is already the biggest star in the company and has sold more merch so would make sense to have him win the rumble. Faces Cena at WM and beats him to start the Reality Era.

Well who would you replace as the winners? You can choose any years, I just choose these years cause I don't really remember much from before 1997 and I was fine with Austin winning 1997/1998 rumbles

Submit "Wrestlers who should have won Royal Rumble" to Digg Submit "Wrestlers who should have won Royal Rumble" to del.icio.us Submit "Wrestlers who should have won Royal Rumble" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wrestlers who should have won Royal Rumble" to Google

Updated 10-22-2011 at 06:44 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Punk didn't get over fully until mid 2011, I don't think Del Rio deserved such a quick push but it would've made Punk's rise to the top cheap compared with how it eventually worked out plus he was still leader of the Nexus at this point, apart from that you raise some good points also apart from the Cody Rhodes win in '08, he was still yet to really get over and gain any sort of credibility. Apart from that, nice blog
    In defence of the big superstars wining the Royal Rumble I have to disagree with what you said. Although the likes of Undertaker, Cena and Orton don't need to win, the Royal Rumble itself needs big names to win occasionally for the reasons of: 1. keeping up it's prestige, and 2. give it some unpredictability. Without those, the match wouldn't be loved as the way it is today.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the blog... something different to read for once on here. Keep up the good work!
    The Rock couldn't have won the '99 RR because he was the champion and therefore wasn't involved in the match. The 2000 RR was a good idea and it would have made the Mr McMahon heel turn more dramatic. WrestleMania X8 was booked wrong in the first place. Hogan V Rock should have main evented that year because it was easily the most anticipated match of the night. It did feel strange when Austin beat Kane to the RR in 2001 just because all the momentum seemed to be with Kane. Kane looked so strong at that Rumble but yet that momentum wasn't capitalised upon.
    I have to say this is the dumbest Blog I ever read... You want Rock to win the Royal Rumble but he was Champion?... You want Orton to win the Rumble and Face Eddie Guerrero but Eddie Guerrero was dead at in 2006? how is that possible?.

You Want Eddie Guerrero to win the Rumble instead of Benoit and Erase the Best Rumble in WWE history and take away the amazing Eddie Guerrer and Brock Lesnar match that was way better than any match Angle had with Guerrero?

Not to mention you have heels and mid card guys going over in all your rumbles and winning Wrestlemania. Thats not how things work.
    I think you don't understand the concept of the blog. If Rock wins RR 99 obviously I wouldn't have him booked as champion, he would probably have lost the belt before the rumble. And the Eddie/Lesnar match would still happen, just at a different time.

As for Eddie, I just booked him as if he were alive. I think you need to look up the word fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    I have to say this is the dumbest Blog I ever read... You want Rock to win the Royal Rumble but he was Champion?... You want Orton to win the Rumble and Face Eddie Guerrero but Eddie Guerrero was dead at in 2006? how is that possible?.

You Want Eddie Guerrero to win the Rumble instead of Benoit and Erase the Best Rumble in WWE history and take away the amazing Eddie Guerrer and Brock Lesnar match that was way better than any match Angle had with Guerrero?

Not to mention you have heels and mid card guys going over in all your rumbles and winning Wrestlemania. Thats not how things work.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-ri
    Punk didn't get over fully until mid 2011, I don't think Del Rio deserved such a quick push but it would've made Punk's rise to the top cheap compared with how it eventually worked out plus he was still leader of the Nexus at this point, apart from that you raise some good points also apart from the Cody Rhodes win in '08, he was still yet to really get over and gain any sort of credibility. Apart from that, nice blog
    yes but if you read clearly, I mentioned I would have booked CM Punk doing his promos in 2010 (the ones he did in summer of 2011). And Cody would be doing his gimmick in 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McMahon
    I think you don't understand the concept of the blog. If Rock wins RR 99 obviously I wouldn't have him booked as champion, he would probably have lost the belt before the rumble. And the Eddie/Lesnar match would still happen, just at a different time.

As for Eddie, I just booked him as if he were alive. I think you need to look up the word fantasy
    for 1 if your gonna fantasy book you shouldnt say "This blog is about wrestlers who I think should have won a past Royal Rumble instead of the person that actually won it".... and if your gonna fantasy book than atleast do something entertaining with it Like.

Example #1. in 2003 Shawn Michaels is Champion and Eddie Guerrero wins the Royal Rumble. Then the match at Wrestlemania is set Michaels vs Guerrero Ladder match.

either its terrible Fantasy booking or unrealistic real booking.
    Updated 10-23-2011 at 12:54 AM by THE_CRIPPLER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.