View RSS Feed

Mr. McMahon

Freshening John Cena's gimmick without turning heel.

Rate this Entry
People have said that turning Cena heel will freshen his gimmick, however here I will list how they can freshen him up and make him stay face and win the crowd over.

Gimmick:
First he will have to change his gimmick up a little. Someone is getting a beatdown in the ring and people are chanting for Cena to come to the rescue, however he doesn't. He says that he should mind his own business and that's its no more about hustle, loyalty and respect, its about 'minding your business'. He says that he still loves the fans, but he is minding his own business.

Attire:
He gets rid of the wristbands and shoulderbands. He switches from shorts to full length jeans (blue). And when is cutting a promo he wears his shirt and hat.

Merchandise:
No more colorful shirts with crappy slogans. He uses the c that's used in copyright in his name Cena, so like this ©ena. That will be his new merchandising and part of gimmick, the copyright symbol. Where after he is done with his opponent's he leaves his copyright. So his shirt on the front should say ©ena, and on the back 'Mind Your Business'. Same with the hat. They could do a lot with ©ena when it comes to merchandising, tons of ideas out there instead of the same old 'hustle, loyalty, respect' crap. It makes Cena more Edgy.

Entrance:

His entrance music needs to be changed to fit the new gimmick, he should use the song 'bad bad man' from his album, which should be edited for his arena entrance and fitted for a pyro. Yes Cena should get a pyro or fireworks, I think that would be nice. He modifies his entrance, instead of saluting the crowd he just 'hulks up' and then instead of sliding in the ring he walks in through the ropes kinda like Stone Cold. When he is in the ring, he does a taunt and fireworks/pyro goes off, either then or during his entrance on ramp. His entrance movie should be the music video of 'bad bad man' mixed with clips of him wrestling in the ring and doing badass things like the FU on batista through the car and Edge through the tables.

Moveset:
He still keeps his moveset but adds more to it: A german suplex, boxing type punches, kitchen sink, body splash from top rope, spinebuster and double powerbomb. He changes his finisher's name from attitude adjustment to 'copyright slam'. He pumps his shoes before doing the 5 knuckle stuffle.

Promos:
His promos should be more like old school cena promos, but no rapping. He would only rap very rarely. But add more intensity to the promos and cut out the lame cena jokes. This is a more serious character, more like a badass movie character who is a good guy but minds his own business. Let him use slang to make him look cool again, not overdo it but use it moderately. If Cena wants something then he makes it his business, such as wanting a title shot. Instead of referring to his fans as 'Cenation', he now refers them as '©ena ©rew', it just sounds more cooler. During promos he can get a new catchphrase... I dont know maybe something to do with Copyright like 'I will leave my copyright trademark on you' or something like that.

Title Belt:
When he wins the WWE title again, he comes out and says that just like him, the title needs a change. He debuts a new WWE Championship belt. It looks very similar to the winged eagle belt, expect its a mix of gold and diamonds and in the middle it has a huge © symbol which reads 'WWE ©hampion'. There is no name plate on it, just to give it a classic feel. It does not spin either.

Possible Stable:
He can later on create a stable called ©rew or something which will be a face stable minding their business. If Cryme Time were still in WWE then they would be perfect for the stable. But other than that maybe he could have some other badass gimmick type guys in his stable... maybe face ©hristian and ©M Punk...

Conclusion:
Keep him face, change everything else about him. He is no longer appealing only to kids, he is more badass and does badass things that will make others like him. Also since he isn't superman, he should have a fair share of wins and losses. It will be sort of a 15% mix of Old John Cena, 15% mix of Super Cena, 15% mix of Rapper John Cena and 55% mix of something new. He can still be a hero to kids since he will be face and won't be doing any bad things like rapping (very little) or using chains.

Imagine a situation where heel Mark Henry is feuding with Cena. He finds out Cena is hiding in his locker room which happens to be room #96. He goes in there, steals his food and eats it. Later on we find out Cena actually switched the number on the door from 96 to 69 and Henry was in the wrong room and gets his ass kicked by the guys in that locker room (lets imagine some big stable) and to make it better the food henry ate had something special inside it. Henry walks out limping to the ring and.... well you think of what happens next

that would be kinda like what Cena would be like, badass.

Submit "Freshening John Cena's gimmick without turning heel." to Digg Submit "Freshening John Cena's gimmick without turning heel." to del.icio.us Submit "Freshening John Cena's gimmick without turning heel." to StumbleUpon Submit "Freshening John Cena's gimmick without turning heel." to Google

Updated 10-19-2011 at 08:45 PM by Mr. McMahon

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cena's the cash cow to kids. So until that stops they're going to market him to kids. I would say the only thing that they could change about him if getting rid of those damn jorts. nobody had a problem with the camo shorts he used to wear. those were fine.

oh and let the damn guy wrestle.
    I love it! The copyright thing is a great idea.
    I like it too but if you don't mind I have an idea that would add to that.

I think a heel turn for the match against Rock at Wrestlemania could actually be important to this working. Rather than full boos he gets sometimes it would get the sort of mixed reaction that made the atmosphere in the Rock Hogan match in 2002 more important than the lackluster wrestling match that took place.

But after that he goes away until Extreme Rules, where he interupts the highest profile non title match, say for arguments sake Miz vs Sheamus, and lay them both out violently with just the © logo on a shirt or on the tron as it is going on.

The following Raw he'll start off with the whole new entrance and pyro idea as mentioned in the blog but at first he'll probably be getting booed by the kids but less so by the adults but then he slowly but surely gets the gimmick going, perhaps not wrestling for 2 - 3 weeks, cutting promo's to introduce his style.

Then he could wrestle someone like a Christian or Wade Barrett with the already mentioned new and improved move set and feud with them based on his new gimmick to win the fans back over, and then go for a championship match with Henry but not win it first time out. Then he ramps up the intensity of his promos and maybe employ a couple of heel-ish tactics (sort of Rock/Austin/Eddie Guerreo-esque) but not full on heel screw jobs to get him over as a potential bad-ass style face.
    I also agree he should be heel for his WM match with Rock... that's a also a great idea that you mentioned nick
    This is a great idea. I love this. I also think he should change his hat to camo, and his shorts to camo. Adding on to your idea John "the copyright" ©ena, and for his finisher move instead of the copyright adjustment, copyright carry, and for the stf he could introduce a whole new move called the copyright crossface
    Updated 10-19-2011 at 11:42 PM by AreYaSerious
    Interesting concept! Personally, I think the only way for Cena to change is for the WWE to have someone else who is equally at his status that can help carry the company. So far, the next-best-thing after Cena (as a face) is Orton, CM Punk and Sheamus, but they don't have the same marketability as Cena. He can't go heel, because there isn't anyone else to take the top face. It would be easier to have Orton, CM Punk, and Sheamus bounce from face-to-heel, which the audience would buy, than Cena turning face. Even Stone-Cold at his best was still considered a Face. I'm assuming people want Cena to be more of a "bad-ass" like Stone-Cold than be a full heel.

Here's an interesting concept I would like to challenge us EWN Bloggers:
    If Cena turns Heel, what would be the story-line and who would he be fighting against?!
    I think it's a great gimmick, but just not for Cena.

I don't see this gimmick as a face gimmick to, what face would bring over to the fans to mind their own business?

Making Cena more intense would be a nice idea though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.