View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

The 5 Greatest Rematches in Wrestling History

Rate this Entry
Today we will look at the greatest Rematches in Wrestling history, Matches that were better the 2nd time around. Some times you see a match between 2 men and it blows you away, then they have a Rematch, You Think No way they can live up to the standards of their first match but they go out and top it. These are rematches to Great classic matches that surpass the orginal.

RULES
This must be a rematch to a match that is considered a great match. It cant be just a rematch to any match or a Raw match.... For example Rock and Austin had a good match at Wrestlemania 15 but a incredible one at Wrestlemania 17. That match is not considered in the list cause the Quality of the first match wasnt considered Great or a classic encounter just good.

The rematch has to be better than the first match, So Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels is not on the list cause their WM26 match was not better than their first match.... so make sure the 2nd match is reguarded as the better match in the comment section.

It must be a rematch to a Highly reguarded match.

5. John Cena vs Shawn Michaels Raw in London.
Rematch From Wrestlemania 23.

This is a rematch to the Great match they had at Wrestlmania 23.... On this Night no one expected these 2 men to not only surpass the Wrestlemania match they had a month earlier but to go one hour on live TV! was just amazing...
This is a great match that made everyone forget the Classic they had at Wrestlemania. This was a match like we havent seen in wrestling in a long time, It was something the fans been missing from Wrestling, it was a shocking, Well performed and thrilling match. We dont get to see many matchs that surprise you in these days but its nice to see the WWE go away from their tradtional style and bust one of these incredible matches on free tv.... This is a must see match that clocks in at almost a hour and is one of the best TV matches you will ever see, John Cenas best match and it by far tops the match they had at Wrestlemania 23.

4. Mr Perfect vs Bret Hart semi Finals King of the Ring. 1993
Rematch from SummerSlam 1991.

This is a rematch to their Classic Summerslam 1991 match which is considered one of the Best IC title matches of all times and at the time in 1991 it was considered one of the best technical matches of all times. but as faith would have it Bret Hart would meet the man he beat for his first Singles title in the semi finals of the King of the Ring 1993, Mr Perfect...
The expectations were High, but no one thought in a thrown together match on a King of the Ring PPV that Bret Hart and Curt Henning would actually top their Classic at Summerslam 1991.

This was a great back and forth match that left everyone at the edge of their seats. It was not only on par with the first match at Summerslam but it actually beat it. which is a testamnet to how Great these men were in the ring.

3. Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit Royal Rumble 2003.
Rematch from Unforgiven 2002.

What to say about this match, Its considered one of the Greatest matches in WWF/WWE history and maybe of all times, It had everything you can want in a match, Excellent counter wrestling, Perfect technical wrestling, Intensity, High Impact moves, Edge of your seat false finsihes, Hard hitting. There isnt much more you can ask for in a match, The match was so good that people actually forget the amazing match they had at Unforgiven 2002 Which won about everyones match of the year for 2002....
Before Royal Rumble, People talked about the classic match Angle and Benoit had at Unforgiven and the master piece it was, Actually it was such a great match Kurt Angle actually got a world title run again for the preformance Angle put forth in that match, some say.... but at the Royal Rumble, Angle and Benoit turned it up a notch and put the emotion that the Unforgiven match didnt have in to the Rumble match.

No one was shocked that these men surpassed their Classic Unforgiven match in 2002 at the Royal Rumble, cause the Chemistry these 2 men had were off the Charts, You be hard pressed to find 2 men in wrestling that had better Chemistry than Benoit and Angle. they could Wrestle each other everyday with each match being better than the last.

2. Ricky Steamboat vs Ric Flair Clash of Champions 2/3 falls match.
Rematch from Chi Town Rumble 1989.

Ricky Steamboat beat Ric Flair at Chi Town Rumble 89 to win his first World title and it was considered by everyone as the best match in Wrestling history at the time. Fast forward 1 month later to the rematch at Clash of Champions on Cable TV, This time it was gonna be classic NWA rules 2/3 falls. Everyone was worried if Flair and Steamboat could live up to the expectations of their Chi Town Rumble match, Flair and Steamboat didnt just live up to their past match but blew it away with this incredible match. alot of people say that the Wrestlewar is the best match in the triolgy but to me this is by far the best match out of all of them, Just a Great pace threw the whole match, You would never know you been watching a wrestling match for 1 hour, you crave more after the one hour. Excellent match to say the least that surpassed their Chi Town Rumble match which was a impossible feat at the time.

1. Bret Hart vs Steve Austin Wrestlemania 13.
Rematch from Survivor Series 1996.

The Image says it all, Bret Hart and Steve Austin in a Incredible match that most people call the Greatest matches to ever take place. This match changed wrestling forever, The match was perfectly done. This match turned Austin from a main eventer to a Superstar and showed why Bret Hart is one of the best EVER.

The match was so good that it made everyone forget about the excellent 5 star match these two men had at Survivor Series 1996, It was a Great story told in that match and it was one the reasons Austin made it to main event level.... Bret hart was so important to Steve Austins career, Even in Defeat to Bret Hart Steve Austin looked incredible.

Hart and Austin had such Good chemistry not only in the ring but the actual feud it self is one of the best I ever seen, This match had big shoes to fill and they did and made everyone forget about the classic these men put on at Survivor Series 1996 just monthes earlier.

Submit "The 5 Greatest Rematches in Wrestling History" to Digg Submit "The 5 Greatest Rematches in Wrestling History" to del.icio.us Submit "The 5 Greatest Rematches in Wrestling History" to StumbleUpon Submit "The 5 Greatest Rematches in Wrestling History" to Google

Updated 10-08-2011 at 12:25 AM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    good list, but just one little thing. i think the benoit angle royal rumble is a bit hard to call a rematch. it is technically, but unforgiven was basically a rematch from the feud that began at wrestlemania a year earlier. just sayin
    I've never seen it, but, Rock/Austin II at WM XIX was supposed to be real good.

Also TLC II with EC/Hardyz/Dudleys.
    I agree with your list except for the thing about the Cena/Michaels match from Wrestlemania 23.

I was there in Ford Field that night. Cena was booed heavily during his entrance. So much so that you couldn't hear the ring announcer. Then mostly ignored for the rest of the night. So much so that fans stopped paying attention to it, and instead spent part of the match trading "F*ck John Cena/F*ck Shawn Michaels" chants. Not directed at the guys in the ring though. They were yelling that at each other, simply to entertain themselves. The match was secondary. Good thing it was on last, because it stunk up the house. Which sucks for HBK, because he was working very hard to carry Cena. And make no mistake, although I'm not as critical of the guy as most people are, was absolutely being carried.

It was godawful. The crowd was NOT happy with the ending. The second it was over, about 70% of the people got up to leave immediately, and didn't even wait for the confetti to drop. Walking out of the building that night, EVERYONE within earshot over the age of 12(which was the vast majority of the crowd) was talking about how bad it was. More than a few were literally yelling about how the match was bullshit.

And don't trust the audio or video on the DVD release of the event. WWE edited it so much that the crowd sounds a little too "pro-Cena". They added cheers that never happened, deleted much of the booing. It's pathetic. After Cena won, the camera angles were limited to close-ups and very brief sword shots because WWE didn't want people seeing just how much of the audience was walking out.

"Classic"? Not even close. Their rematch was better? Of course it was. But that's really not saying much.

But on a lighter note, I literally bumped into Linda McMahon while I was walking to the bathroom before the show started. For some reason she was walking around the corridors of the building, and immediately ducked into a service door once people realized who she was. It was pretty amusing seeing her almost run away.

Other than that, great list. But more than that, a GREAT idea for a blog. Kudos to you my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Next Big Thing
    good list, but just one little thing. i think the benoit angle royal rumble is a bit hard to call a rematch. it is technically, but unforgiven was basically a rematch from the feud that began at wrestlemania a year earlier. just sayin
    Actually most these matches are not direct rematches. What i meant was rematches to classic. Matches or great matches. So basicly 2 guys having a awesome classic match then topping it.... Not in the same storyline, cause some of these matches came monthes later ane in henning and harts case years later
    Quote Originally Posted by Parallax
    I agree with your list except for the thing about the Cena/Michaels match from Wrestlemania 23.

I was there in Ford Field that night. Cena was booed heavily during his entrance. So much so that you couldn't hear the ring announcer. Then mostly ignored for the rest of the night. So much so that fans stopped paying attention to it, and instead spent part of the match trading "F*ck John Cena/F*ck Shawn Michaels" chants. Not directed at the guys in the ring though. They were yelling that at each other, simply to entertain themselves. The match was secondary. Good thing it was on last, because it stunk up the house. Which sucks for HBK, because he was working very hard to carry Cena. And make no mistake, although I'm not as critical of the guy as most people are, was absolutely being carried.

It was godawful. The crowd was NOT happy with the ending. The second it was over, about 70% of the people got up to leave immediately, and didn't even wait for the confetti to drop. Walking out of the building that night, EVERYONE within earshot over the age of 12(which was the vast majority of the crowd) was talking about how bad it was. More than a few were literally yelling about how the match was bullshit.

And don't trust the audio or video on the DVD release of the event. WWE edited it so much that the crowd sounds a little too "pro-Cena". They added cheers that never happened, deleted much of the booing. It's pathetic. After Cena won, the camera angles were limited to close-ups and very brief sword shots because WWE didn't want people seeing just how much of the audience was walking out.

"Classic"? Not even close. Their rematch was better? Of course it was. But that's really not saying much.

But on a lighter note, I literally bumped into Linda McMahon while I was walking to the bathroom before the show started. For some reason she was walking around the corridors of the building, and immediately ducked into a service door once people realized who she was. It was pretty amusing seeing her almost run away.

Other than that, great list. But more than that, a GREAT idea for a blog. Kudos to you my friend.
    I seen the match live on PPV.....I understand where your comming from, Some matches just cant be appricated live. Plus their is so much going on, With he crowd chanting, viewing problems,People getting up and sitting down, just endless distractions, You just cant get fully in to the match.... I remember seeing Lesnar and Angle at Wrestlemania 19, and after being their for 4 hours, having beer spilled on me and having people go past me all night I wasnt in to the match too much and i remember being disappointed. Then I seen it On DVD and it was a different match... You cant see the emoiton on peoples face, you cant get the full story of a match sometimes if your their live, and it also depends on the person and whats going on.
    Updated 10-09-2011 at 09:08 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    What about Undartaker vs. Mankind in HIAC? That's technically a rematch and the match I will most remember for the rest of my life!!!! It was so awesome that I can't express it in words!!!I have the upmost respect for Mick Foley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bowman
    What about Undartaker vs. Mankind in HIAC? That's technically a rematch and the match I will most remember for the rest of my life!!!! It was so awesome that I can't express it in words!!!I have the upmost respect for Mick Foley.
    Yes it was a Great match. But its so hard with people calling it a spot fest and basicly the whole match was around the 2 big bumps..... but another reason is thaTaker d Mankinds other matches were never really considered Great matches before that one, They had Good ones but nothing that really stood out... plus i wanted to stay away from Gimmick matches IE Hell in the Cell and Ladder. Other wise i put one of the 4 TLC matches.... but mostly cause of the uniqueness of the Taker and Mankind Hell in the Cell match and the matches before it not really being considered anything better than good or ok.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.