View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

The 5 Most Disappointing Big Time Matches in Wrestling History Part 2

Rate this Entry

1. Hulk Hogan vs Sting Starcade 1997
Say what you want. Talk about Flairs vs Steamboats, Flairs vs Hogans and all the NWA and WCW matches that has come to pass, This match was set to be the biggest match in NWA/WCW history.... This match was built 1 year in advance, Its was the cumulation to the WCWs biggest storyline (maybe the biggest storyline in wrestling) the NWO. For monthes we wondered about Sting, We seen him in the rafters, He was untouchable, No one even knock him off his feet. The Reaction Sting got without saying a word was incredible.

This match with Sting and Hogan was gonna be the ending of the red hot NWO storyline, and it would make Sting the #1 guy in the company.

Everyone was ready for this match, Starcade 1997 end up being WCWs most ordered PPV in its history. What took place in the main event of Starcade 1997 was a true embarressment, What should of been a cut and dry match was poorly prepared for, Badly performed and had unnesscary add ons to the match... Sting Not wrestlign for a year was in no shape to wrestle a match, he was in Horrible phyiscal condition. Hulk Hogan not willing to give up his number one spot really put in a poor performance also to sabatage the Stinger.... The ending to the match cause of Sting being incoherant was the nail in the coffin for this huge disappointment. Sting not paying attention got pinned by mistake, So Bret Hart ran in and WCW made a false Fast count complaint on Nick Patrick and the match resumed. The match was bad enough before but after the Sting getting pinned accidently happend, The match was just written off as a disappointment.... They are 100 stories of what really happened, Nick Patrick being paid off by Hogan to count slow when it was the Orginal plan was for a fast count, Sting just not paying attention, Bret Hart missing a cue. What ever the reason is, The match suffered greatly and the match was already terrible as could be before.

So here is the list..... Now please remember this list is about BIG Time matches, Matches that had alot of hype and anticipation, Not just a Raw match or a mid card match that wasnt as Good as you expected.... Hope to hear some of yours in the comments section.
Honorable mentions
Bret Hart vs HBK survivor series 1997
Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio Wrestlemania 21
Hogan vs Andre The Giant WM4

Submit "The 5 Most Disappointing Big Time Matches in Wrestling History Part 2" to Digg Submit "The 5 Most Disappointing Big Time Matches in Wrestling History Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "The 5 Most Disappointing Big Time Matches in Wrestling History Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "The 5 Most Disappointing Big Time Matches in Wrestling History Part 2" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

never really followed wcw but yeah ive heard it was quite the fuck up
    Good list again sir. The Hogan/Sting match was the drizzling shits. I was unfortunately, one of the people who bought the PPV.

In my mind, this match was truly the beginning of the end for WCW.
    Lex Luger vs. Yokozuna at Summerslam was pretty bad as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bowman
    Lex Luger vs. Yokozuna at Summerslam was pretty bad as well.
    I was was gonna put that match on the List but With Luger and Yokos track record at that time I dont think anyone expected a classic. Expectation were pretty low for this match but damn they couldnt even meet them.

Very Good choice. It's def number 6 or 7 on my list.
    Gud #1....
    I was was gonna put that match on the List but With Luger and Yokos track record at that time I dont think anyone expected a classic.
    True!!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.