View RSS Feed

Avril

Unified: WWE and World Heavyweight Championship and Limit to one Title?

Rating: 5 votes, 3.00 average.
There has been talk throughout the internet wrestling community that WWE should unify both WWE and World Heavyweight Championship to make the title more important and prestigious. I thought I'd give an indepth analysis on the situation and whether or not it's a good idea to unify both titles.

Looking at the rosters and the wrestlers who are currently being booked into the world title picture. We have superstars such as,

Alberto Del Rio: Still needs work before I start calling him a mainevent star, but he's a fresh face which is nice to see. However he's already had a transitional championship run, but hopefully WWE will give him a fairly decent championship run before getting cold feet about the idea.

Christian: His title runs were transitional reigns, which makes it really hard to believe him to be a credible champion. He's getting up there in age and I certainly don't expect Christian to stay around wrestling much longer, but he certainly has earned his stop as a mainevent player.

CM Punk: He was red hot throughout the summer, but has been involved in other storylines and has recently been put on the back burner as of late. Hopefully WWE will eventually realize they have somebody else besides John Cena in the title picture.

John Cena: Highly overrated and doesn't really need add another championship run to his resume. He's still immensely popular towards the much younger demographic, but he has been getting boo's from the older demographic for a few years now. Perhaps a heel run would be something fresh and new, because he's been face far too long and is definitely in need of a change.

Kane: He's getting up there in age and wouldn't be the best candidate to hold a major title such as WWE or World Heavyweight Championship. He's a talented wrestler for a person of his size, but he's best days are over and I simply don't see him becoming a treat to the world title anymore.

Mark Henry: Hearing that Mark Henry is the current World Heavyweight champion seems to baffle me, but considering the fact that he has been with the company for 15+ years. It's considered a small little gratitude for his years of work in the WWE/F, but he's beyond boring and is really unappealing to watch in the ring. His gimmick (Silverback) has been done before, but this time he has had more successful, but this will probably be his one and only reign as world champion.

Randy Orton: He's starting to become like John Cena, but still bearable. He's able to put on a fairly good match with almost anybody and has people supporting him. There is no denying that Randy Orton still has his best days ahead of him, but that's still to be determined.

Sheamus: He's young and would certainly be a fresh face to the mainevent picture. He has some credibility to him, as he's already been a two time WWE Champion and has a fairly large fan base behind him since turning face and I know that he'll definitely have a few more World title reigns behind his belt.

Triple H: He's a complete wreak. He has two knees blown out and in semi-retirement and currently involved in the COO storyline. Why in the world would WWE take a huge risk on somebody like Triple H? Would baffle me, but I think he's officially done with in ring competition.

The Miz: Couldn't help but include The Miz, because he's a solid wrestler, but has been taken away from the WWE Championship title picture as of late and seems to have his sights set on a possible Unified Tag Team Championship title run with R-Truth. I definately think The Miz will have a few more world title reigns around his waist.

The Undertaker: His career is coming closer to the end, so it'd be a safe bet to assume that he isn't going to be holding anymore major titles. He's has a historic career and he'll definitely be remembered as one of the, if not greatest superstars of all time.

WWE doesn't really have many superstars in the position to win a WWE or World Heavyweight Championship at this currently moment, but does that mean WWE should unify both the titles and only have one world title?

I'd like to disagree with that fact, because I consider Smackdown to be another testing ground for superstars to develop their characters/gimmicks, and a great way to showcase up and coming talent. Unlike Raw, where a vast majority of their superstars aren't showcased as the up and coming talent and that's seldom seen to be the case on Raw. Where Smackdown can easily make superstars, because they are able to play around and test the waters with superstars they believe would be a great champion but it does fail sometimes. The system isn't perfect, but it's a start or end to a superstars career.

Having two world titles would definitely help give a superstar some credibility as wrestler, but also when they make a possible transition to the "Flagship" show would definitely help them out. Granted there are a few superstars that WWE has dropped the ball on such as,

Dolph Ziggler: WWE hasn't completely dropped the ball on Dolph Ziggler, but does anybody remember his World Heavyweight Championship reign that lasted a few hours before losing it to Edge? No? That's what I thought.

Jack Swagger: Here's a superstar who held the World Heavyweight Championship and held the title for three months, before loosing it to Rey Mysterio. He was drafted to Monday Night Raw and has been lost in the shuffle and has yet to accomplish anything.

John Morrison: He was on the verge of becoming a World Champion, but then he got injured and WWE sort of turned him into a Jobber and has lost all momentum and I've lost faith that he'll become a mainevent superstar because he's been jobbing a lot lately.

Kofi Kingston: He was also on the verge of getting a World Championship/WWE Championship, but backstage politics seem to be a role into why he isn't in the title picture anymore and doesn't seem likely that he will be in the title picture.

Overall it does pay off to have two World Titles because it helps add to the credibility of a wrestler and certainly would help get people behind them, but I think unifying both titles would hurt because they wouldn't be able to test the waters with up and coming superstars. I believe that's the entire point of having two World Heavyweight Championships and it makes sense.

Anyways, I hope you have enjoyed reading my second blog entire. So, post thoughts/opinions below, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Submit "Unified: WWE and World Heavyweight Championship and Limit to one Title?" to Digg Submit "Unified: WWE and World Heavyweight Championship and Limit to one Title?" to del.icio.us Submit "Unified: WWE and World Heavyweight Championship and Limit to one Title?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Unified: WWE and World Heavyweight Championship and Limit to one Title?" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I wish you would have put Cody Rhodes in there, since hes been on a roll lately. Hes one of the only great wrestlers that the WWE hasn't screwed up in the past 6 months. Its wrestlers like him that are the reason why there shouldn't be a title unification. Hes slowly becoming main event material and it looks like he will be in the world title picture quite soon. However, if the world titles were to be unified, then he wouldn't get a shot at it because the title would only be in the possession of the top stars like Cena and Orton.
    As a long time wrestling fan I beleive that having two top championships only clouds the waters of who's on top. And the only reason WWE has two championships is because Vince crushed his direct competion years ago. WWE is after all one company & the original ideal behind the brand split was two have the WWE champion defend the title against the number 1 contender from both shows on an alternating schedule (which would have been great to see) until losing the title. Secondary championships were created to buld wrestlers toward the WWE title. Thats why Raw had the IC & Womens title while Smackdown had the US & Cruiserweight titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One
    I wish you would have put Cody Rhodes in there, since hes been on a roll lately. Hes one of the only great wrestlers that the WWE hasn't screwed up in the past 6 months. Its wrestlers like him that are the reason why there shouldn't be a title unification. Hes slowly becoming main event material and it looks like he will be in the world title picture quite soon. However, if the world titles were to be unified, then he wouldn't get a shot at it because the title would only be in the possession of the top stars like Cena and Orton.
    100% agree...
    CM Punk doesn't fit into the current angle atm is why he hasn't been in the main event in awhile, I noticed Cena getting less air time and when he is in the main event, it's usually a tag team match. All though WWE wants him to be great, by the time he retires he'll be 16-20 time WWE Champ. Also, lie mentioned Cody Rhodes should be on here, in about 6months-1 years time he'll NO DOUBT be in the title picture unless he's injured or gets buried for behind the scene antics. Sheamus will have another run soon to as the WWE officials are high on him as well.
    The whole titles setup is wrong IMO. I believe that if the WWE wants to survive in today’s reality big changes have to be made. Everybody knows that Professional Wrestling is fake. More and more fan and tuning away from Pro Wrestling and starting to follow MMA for various reasons and if the WWE doesn’t change and make things a little more realistic it will lose more fans than gain.
    If you think that Rey Mysterio can become Heavyweight Champion just because he deserves a main event spot you are dead wrong and that model cannot sustain a believable product for people to follow on a long-term basis. In my mind, the main event spot has to be reserved to the most over Superstars (wrestler) and not the only for WWE Champ or WHC. It could very well be the Cruiserweight Champ (I will get back to that later), the Intercontinental Champ, or even the Tag Champs.
    To put it plain and simple I’m sick of seeing unmatched wrestlers compete against each other. I mean how many times did we see Sheamus destroy Evan Bourne. How many wins did Brodus Clay have against local jobbers half his size. How credible is that? How can the WWE build a guy with that size and keep the fan interested.
    Divide the divisions or create them. Heavyweights, Cruiserweights etc.
    Make the WHC for guys like Brodus, Mark Henry, Big Show, Kane, Sheamus, HHH, Cena, Orton, Mason Ryan etc.
    Make the WWE Champ for guys like CM Punk, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Miz, Zach Ryder etc.
    Make the cruiserweight for guys like Rey Mysterio, Justin Gabriel, Tyson Kidd, Evan Bourne, Sin Cara, Santino etc.
    Anyways this is just a thought please comment also.
    it weird because every analysis you gave on the wrestlers above were spot on. I agree 100% with everything mentioned
    I say that can unify the titles....and just rebuild the IC title....The WHC is being used how the IC use to be/and should be used....

The WHC job is not to "build" a wrestler,thats the IC titles job.....the WHC is SUPPOSE to be= to the WWE title....but its not.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.