View RSS Feed

CM_SUXX_NOT

The Burial of CM Punk

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Okay guys. Although it is not my opinion that CM Punk is getting buried, I have seen several comments recently from people with the opinion that WWE creative is burying Punk. So I'm putting my thoughts out to you.

I believe the last time we heard Punk speak on Raw was the night after NOC, when he stated that there was a conspiracy in the WWE, but not the conspiracy Miz & Truth were talking about. That was interrupted quite quickly and wasn't much special, but I'm probably comparing it to that promo when I say 'not much special'. Punk lost at NOC, although it wasn't really clean to be fair. Punk got smashed in the face with a pipe at HIAC and Del Rio pinned him. He came in to hit the GTS in the 12-man tag match.

You know what? If someone presented these arguments to me without any prior knowledge, I would agree he's being buried. But he can't be in every main event of every PPV and constant shoot-style promos would get stale.

Creative have, for once, been very clever with their handling of Punk.

We should also bear in mind that other storylines and rivalries exist. Punk alone has been keeping us excited about Raw and his matches with John Cena were great, so great that they were taking the heat out of other angles with other Superstars because everyone was tuning in to watch Punk.

There is also the current angle with Triple H and the firings of Truth and Miz to bear in mind. CM Punk doesn't really fit in there, and yet the angle at HIAC with them destroying everything was brilliant, and I am dying to see next week's Raw after the ending to Monday night.

It may feel like he's being buried slightly, but a Superstar is not being buried if he's main-evented the last 4 pay-per-views. He lost the belt immediately after his win at SummerSlam -- they put the belt on Del Rio for the upcoming Mexico tour. He lost to Triple H at NOC -- the storyline would not make sense if 'H lost his COO position at that point in time. Besides, a non-championship match main-evented Night of Champions. He lost at HIAC -- it was Triple Threat and Del Rio used a pipe; not many people get up after being smashed in the head.

And for those of you who STILL think he's getting buried, there's an article just up saying he may be due a major push because of his merch sales. Great stuff.

---

Jim Ross recently posted on his Twitter that he thought it was strange that WWE's policy is not to mention referee's names on TV, especially with the current ref angles. Well, 3 of them (Chioda, Patton, Armstrong) were name-dropped on Raw, and Chioda even got some mic time which I thought was great.

Some work needed on his promos though

---

Last night, the whole of the heel roster and about 7 babyfaces surrounded the ring for the vote of confidence. So much for polling all of the Superstars. Brass claims they didn't want certain Superstars getting heat.

CM Punk should have at least been there, with his quest for change and everything.

---

Just a couple of extra things I wanted to touch on. Hope you enjoyed it, please offer feedback and add your opinions!

Submit "The Burial of CM Punk" to Digg Submit "The Burial of CM Punk" to del.icio.us Submit "The Burial of CM Punk" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Burial of CM Punk" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I don't think he's being buried. Just put on the back burner for stupid reasons. It's very similar to what WWE did with Austin after his "Austin 3:16" promo. The only real difference is that Punk was given the title for about 5 minutes, whereas Austin wasn't even on the 2 of the next 3 PPV's because they were too busy focusing on HBK, who was, coincidentally enough, not really selling tickets. Kind of like Cena nowadays.

Eventually they will get around to making Punk the top guy. They just need to get the whole "Let's push Del Rio just to sell out a handful of shows in Mexico even though he doesn't sell anything anywhere else" crap out of their system. Kind of like when they had Sid as champ even though Austin was red hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parallax
    I don't think he's being buried. Just put on the back burner for stupid reasons. It's very similar to what WWE did with Austin after his "Austin 3:16" promo. The only real difference is that Punk was given the title for about 5 minutes, whereas Austin wasn't even on the 2 of the next 3 PPV's because they were too busy focusing on HBK, who was, coincidentally enough, not really selling tickets. Kind of like Cena nowadays.

Eventually they will get around to making Punk the top guy. They just need to get the whole "Let's push Del Rio just to sell out a handful of shows in Mexico even though he doesn't sell anything anywhere else" crap out of their system. Kind of like when they had Sid as champ even though Austin was red hot.
    No, I disagree with you, They were building Austin, instead of making him look like a Fade. If Austin Got the Belt afer King of the Ring it be a shame, WWF built him, He had some great matches and Storylines and made people want him to be champion and crave it and WWF did it on the grandest stage " Wrestlemania".
    Thanks for the blog I agree. He's not getting buried thats for sure. But as a Cm Punk fan from day 1 and I mean ROH days. It would be cool to see him stay in the title picture. I mean we've been so used to seeing Cena & Orton mainevent wrestlemania every year (not Orton), they both have competed or defended a title at ever PPV for the last 4 years except for i believe 4 or 5 PPV's.

To me, I would love to see someone like Cm Punk dominate the mainevent. Its something different. The WWE has an opportunity to push new guys to this belt but the push shouldn't be too quick. Cm Punk is developed, he's a 4 time World Champ so it isn't like they're pushing a random guy to the belt. Cm Punk needs to dominate that title in my opinion.

Once again great blog bro
    "Buried" is an overused phrase, when a superstar is in the main event picture still looking very strong even when losing that superstar is not buried. CM Punk is not getting buried.

When a superstar loses multiple times to superstars that superstar would usually would pin without a doubt, that is getting buried. Drew Mcintyre and John Morrison are in my opinion the perfect examples of buried superstars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jags
    "Buried" is an overused phrase, when a superstar is in the main event picture still looking very strong even when losing that superstar is not buried. CM Punk is not getting buried.

When a superstar loses multiple times to superstars that superstar would usually would pin without a doubt, that is getting buried. Drew Mcintyre and John Morrison are in my opinion the perfect examples of buried superstars.
    100% agree with this. Buried is totally overused, which is why some were using it to describe Punk not holding the WWE championship. Silly really.
    Good read. I do think I understand why things are the way they are for Punk. Part of that reason is the fact that the promos although EXCELLENT, were getting stale. So for the time being tone it down and only use it when necessary. Not every Monday like they had been doing.

I am absolutely loving the Mizanin and Killings angle. (Right now I can use their names for being fired and all...HeHe.) And hope they push that more.
    Punk's promo after he returned from MITB were indeed getting STALE and BORING, and Punk was becoming more like a WHINER. How many times can you insult the McMahon's (and HHH) before it makes you the douche?

Punk's physical confrontations with Kevin Nash killed him. Punk would threaten to kick Nash's azz, only to have Nash powerbomb him left and right! Punk's promo confrontations with HHH killed him as well. HHH made a lot more sense in his response to Punk: "if you get over with the fans, you will get push." That basically shot down all of Punk's argument that "he has been held down by guys like HHH."

Now onto the matches. I don't know, but when I watch Punk's matches against the top heavy weights, Punk really seems WEAK out there. He seems to be expending a lot energy to keep with the bigger guys, and it looks to be really exhausting him in the matches. Even in his matches with Alberto Del Rio, Punk struggles to keep up with Del Rio's strength and athleticism. Punk is not an athletic guy, so he can't make up for his lack of size and strength with speed and agility like a Rey Mysterio.

So to be honest, I am not convinced that CM Punk belongs in the same *world heavyweight champion* class as guys like Cena, Orton, Austin, Hogan, Rock, Batista, Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, Bret Hart, HHH, Sting, Kevin Nash, and even Kurt Angle. Punk is in the *world heavyweight champion* class with guys like Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio, AJ Styles, Rick Flair, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, and Christian. The smaller and skinnier world champs. (Note: I view Edge and HBK as slightly above this class, but not exactly equal to above bigger class.) So I am not convinced that Punk is a *legitimate* (realistic) world heavy champion. In any of the past eras, CM Punk would have had a hard time breaking in.

The excitement for CM Punk has certainly died down. The Miz & R-Truth storyline beats what CM Punk did going into MITB - in my opinion. So I question how long CM Punk can remain in the top 2 to 3 exciting storylines of the WWE - especially when The Rock returns to feud with John Cena.
    Updated 10-07-2011 at 12:44 PM by CM_SUXX_NOT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.