View RSS Feed

Amerinaine

WWE and TNA: Not All Is Bad.

Rate this Entry
A lot of the blogs lately have been talking about what is being done wrong in the WWE or TNA. How many talk about what is being done right. I haven't seen all that many that aren't in "Top 5" lists. (Which are getting annoying now.) So here is my take on what is going right in the two promotions I watch.

Character Development: This is one area that actually doesn't get touched on much. TNA has seen a marked improvement on this. The WWE has generally always done this well. Granted, the Diva's division needs more development of those characters, the rest is well executed.

Alberto Del Rio is a great example of this. His promos were poorly executed to start. However, as it has gone along, ADR has gotten comfortable with his gimmick and has been churning out great promos. I fully believe his aristocratic attitude more now than before.

On TNA it is Robert Roode. They are progressing his character well, and doing it slowly. He is interesting on the mic. The storyline of being a character guy bleeds through. Everyone around him is aiding that. Even the heel turn of Christopher Daniels, but giving him respect, aided this storyline. Right now the character development for him is top notch. Let's see, if it continues to play out this way, or if they drop the ball.

Match Quality: Let's face it folks. Move botching is going to happen. It happens in nearly every single match you watch. Even the really good, superior matches. Really, the match quality though, is soooooo much better.

Comments to this end usually pertain to a wrestler's 5 MoD. (Moves of Doom). But with a few exceptions, that is just not the case anymore. Most of your wrestlers now a days have a secondary, even a tertiary move set that gets used.

Cena gets brought up as a 5 MoD only guy. At some point in the past, I would agree with that. (I don't like Cena by the way.) But with the talent the way it is now, even Cena has to have a secondary move set. Sure, he has his Bulldog, 5 Knuckle Shuffle into an STF or FU (AA). But how many have noticed him doing standing drop kicks, triangle chokes, a Belly to Belly Suplex. He's even done a Vertical Suplex here lately. So relegating him as a 5 MoD only guy just isn't sufficient enough any more for even me to badmouth his moveset.

The in ring quality of TNA has always been OK. Most of their guys have a broad range of moves and mix it up more than the WWE does. Sure you have a few 5 MoD guys, but there just aren't that many from what I can tell.

Because of the fact that the overall moves and quality in executing them, the matches themselves benefit tremendously. They provide the in ring story that makes you take notice. (Now if only the WWE could utilize all this good for their Divas division.)

Marketing: Like them or hate them, these promotions can market themselves. TNA really markets themselves as an alternative to WWE. Even if they don't actually say it. Many watch because it is just another wrestling event to watch. I personally watch, because I like the talent on their show.

The WWE, lets face it. They cater to the younger crowd to horribly great success. Cena is a culprit here. I mean, the colors he wears all the time. It is marketed to kids. (I don't like the The Rock either, but he made a very valid point that "Even a blind Stevie Wonder, could see you!") Kids are a driving force in what parents will buy. In many cases, in what an adult will watch too. This is just brilliant strategy.

There. I found three things that are done well in the two shows I do watch.

I'm sure I missed plenty of stuff. But I wanted to keep it short.

Submit "WWE and TNA: Not All Is Bad." to Digg Submit "WWE and TNA: Not All Is Bad." to del.icio.us Submit "WWE and TNA: Not All Is Bad." to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE and TNA: Not All Is Bad." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I don't think the amount of moves a guy has necessarliy makes him a good or bad wrestler. It's not so much what they do in the ring, but rather when they do it and what meaning it had. I was watching SD the other night and Orton wrestled Christian and it was such a boring match. All they did was punch and kick eachother all night. What happened to you know, the actual wrestling part ?
    its cool to see someone not complaining for once that actually shows respect for both companies. This was a great read and I agreed with everything
    Gr8 read!!! Moveset is not important but teh way of execution and believability to it is important..
    Disagree Del Rio promos sucks. He can't sell his character, he can't keep it up. He takes the audience responses personal. He starts off as the smiley everybody loves me attitude then becomes angry real quick.
    This time I didn't get much out of your blog, Amerinaine. But people need to understand: EVERYONE has a "5 moves of doom". People hate Cena not because of that, but because of the pattern that his matches follow, which are usually the same: Cena gets beaten down for 90% of the match, then comes back out of nowhere and hits his 5 moves of doom without breaking a sweat, then holding up the title like he didn't just go through a gruelling match. His matches lack believability.
    This time I didn't get much out of your blog, Amerinaine. But people need to understand: EVERYONE has a "5 moves of doom". People hate Cena not because of that, but because of the pattern that his matches follow, which are usually the same: Cena gets beaten down for 90% of the match, then comes back out of nowhere and hits his 5 moves of doom without breaking a sweat, then holding up the title like he didn't just go through a gruelling match. His matches lack believability.
    Spot ON Bro..even I mentioned believability should be there..as u said...almost every wrestler has his own set of moves of doom (5 or more)...

Even, HBK, Edge, HHH at somepoint have moves of doom..but, what differs Cena frm them is the BELIEVABILITY.....all the 3 names i mentioned make us believe that they r really working hard to come back n they finish the match in STYLE!!!

That believability is lacking in Cena's 5MOD...
    @ The Brown One: Sorry. To be fair it was more of a commentary of what I think over the information I could give. So it wouldn't be a very good read to some, and an OK read to others. Either way, with all the "Top 5" lists and "I Hate This" blogs, I wanted to focus on some of the good things.

@ AOF666: ADR promos are much improved from when he started out. I do think some of the problems people are having is the fact that he doesn't have a strong voice, so he seems quiet. But I also am liking the whole, I give a light smiling promo, and than flip out. It is something that doesn't get done very often.

@ The Brown One and Sahu: I didn't really say that no wrestler has 5 MoD. I was trying to say that no wrestler is limited to 5 MoD only as much any more. Let's face it, yeah, Super Cena and Super Orton are boring. (I'm an Orton fan and Cena Hater.) Either way, even Cena lately has had to create a secondary move set. Are his matches any more entertaining. Ehhh.... Depends on who he wrestles. But to say all he has is 5 MoD is dumb now. Yes, The fact that he only uses his MoD at the end of matches is dumb.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.