View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

he Top 5 Most Surprising Heel Turns in Wrestling History

Rate this Entry
Now to remind you guys, This is'nt the best, This is the most surprising. some of the Heel Turns wont be the best or lead to very much but they are shocking and surprising... So Lets get to the List!.

5. Steve Austin and Vince McMahon Joins forces.
At Wrestlemania 17, In his home state of Texas, Austin was without a doubt the Fan favorite. The WWE knew it was gonna be a pro Austin Crowd. and all signs pointed to a Rcok Heel turn but what happened after shocked the wrestling world.

Steve Austin not only turned heel, but alined himself with his mortal Enemy Vince McMahon.... It seemded impossible to turn Austin heel in that enviorment but the WWE did it sucessfully. It was a big surprise to say the least and the way it was done was a total shock to everyone who watched Wrestlemania 17.... The Image of Austin and Vince Mcmahon Shaking hands in the middle of the ring at Wrestlemania 17 is one for the ages.

4. Andre the Giant turns Heel before Wrestlmania 3
Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan were best friends. Every time Hogan needed back up, Andre was the man he went to. No matter the odds that were against Hogan, Andre would always even those odds. That all changed on a Episode of Pipers Pit, Andre the Giant aligned himself With The biggest heel in the WWF Bobby Heenan and Andre Demanded a Title match from Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 3..... The Beloved Giant who won every battle royal and helped the baby faces was no more. Now it was the The Dominate and powerful monster that no one could stop. and the Biggest match in history was set from this surprising heel turn.

3.The Fabulous Freebirds Heel Turn.
WCCW was Run by Fritz Von Erich, and The Biggest stars in that company was all Fritzs sons. But on one Night, Fritz's boy Kerry Von Erich got another shot at the NWA title against the man who beat him for it only 18 days after he won it (Ric Flair). This time it was in a steel cage and the ref would be Friend of the Von Erichs Michael PS Hayes, Also a member of the FreeBirds (who earlier teamed with Kevin Von Erich to win their 6 man tag match)....
Hayes used his position as a ref to bend the rules for Von Erich and give him a unfair advantage on Flair. When Kerry yelled at him and told him he did wanna win it that way, Hayes got offended and turned on Kerry and slammed the cage door on Kerry Von Erichs head costing him the match and making one of the most shocking heel turns ever seen, the crowd was in awe of Hayes actions and that lead to a long profitable feud between the Freebirds and Von Erich.

2. Hulk Hogan Joins the NWO.
There was rumors of it, but No one thought that Hulk Hogan, The biggest face in prowrestling for over 15 years would turn heel and Join Nash and Hall to create the NWO... WCWs Bash at the Beach Hogan end up being the mystery 3rd man in the NWO and the rest is history, Turning his back on Savage, Sting, Luger, The entire WCW and all his fans. It was a bold and shocking move and it worked out perfectly.... This is a very surprising moment, it was a jaw dropping moment that surprised most wrestling fans.

1. The Rock (Survivor Series 1998)
The Rock, Towards the end of 98 was the 2nd biggest star in the company, his popularity rivial Austins and surpassed it at times.... So when the newly turned face Rock was in the 1998 Survivor Series tournament to crown a new WWF champion. The Rock who was feuding with Vince McMahon, was in the finals of the tournament against McMahons hand picked wrestler to be his champion, The newly groomed Mick Foley. Foley who had a easy night thanks to Vince, was battling the peoples champ The Rock who fought Bossman, Shamrock and The Undertaker earlier in the night.... Then out of n where, The Rock gets Foley set up for a Sharp Shooter, Raises his EyeBrow, Vince Rings the bell and the Rock wins his first WWF championship. It was all a plan by Vince and in the one year anniversary of the montreal screw job, Vince shocked everyone again by screwing Foley and foolng just about everyone.... It was a very shocking turn, I was on the internet at the time and no one predicted this. It might have been as legendary as somne of the turns above but it was without a doubt a very shocking heel turn by The Rock.

Submit "he Top 5 Most Surprising Heel Turns in Wrestling History" to Digg Submit "he Top 5 Most Surprising Heel Turns in Wrestling History" to del.icio.us Submit "he Top 5 Most Surprising Heel Turns in Wrestling History" to StumbleUpon Submit "he Top 5 Most Surprising Heel Turns in Wrestling History" to Google

Updated 10-03-2011 at 09:58 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I would have Hogan's heel turn as #1. honorable mentions should go to Jake "the snake" Roberts.
    #1 has got to be Hogan. #2 is Jake Roberts fake face turn helping Warrior. It was Terry Gordy that slammed the cage door on Kerry's head, I know because I was there.
    You forgot one important name... Shawn Michaels on Marty. Historically thats what propelled a Rocker into a HoFer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaux
    You forgot one important name... Shawn Michaels on Marty. Historically thats what propelled a Rocker into a HoFer.
    I actually seen that comming from a mile away, they even had in the WWF Magazine how the Rockers are not getting along and thats why they were on the barber shop to address he rumors of them spilting.... Shawn was acting all heel like for monthes, even leaving Janetty to go it alone in a tag match.... It was a great turn but I seen it comming and so did everyone else. Just like when Owen Turned on Bret, I expected it to happen, but the way it was done was brilliant.
    Updated 10-03-2011 at 09:50 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbluto
    #1 has got to be Hogan. #2 is Jake Roberts fake face turn helping Warrior. It was Terry Gordy that slammed the cage door on Kerry's head, I know because I was there.
    Oh I dont doubt you, It was most likely Terry Gordy, I didnt watch much WCCW, I only go by the little i seen from DVDS and youube and what I read about from the 14 or so years I been reading wrestling sites and reviews online. But Thanks for the correction.

I didnt put Hogan as number #1 cause there was rumors he be the other member, Ithink he was one of the possible canidates mentioned on the WCW hotline.... So it kinda took from the surprise of it. But no one really thought they turn Hogan heel, Tts why its number 2.
    The Hogan turn had every fan throwing trash in the ring and The Rock was a heel before the turn when he was in The Nation of Domination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ron
    The Hogan turn had every fan throwing trash in the ring and The Rock was a heel before the turn when he was in The Nation of Domination.
    Hogans turn had much more impact, but it wasnt as surprising as the Rock... Hogan was in the top 3 rumored guys to join the NWO. No one thought they actually Turn Hogan Heel and thought it was a rumor is all. I think even on the WCW hotline Hogan was on of the guys they had rumored to join. So it took away from some of the suprise... The Rocks turn came out of no where and was done very well and surprised everyone.

But I agree Hogans turn was a 100 times more impactful but not as surprising.

I know the Rock was Heel before, The list is not about first heel turns, just surprising ones.... Hogan, Austin and all the men on this list were heels before their turn at some point in their careers.
    Updated 10-03-2011 at 09:57 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.