View RSS Feed

Anyrysm

Top 5 Most Over-Rated Wrestlers In WWE History

Rate this Entry
Second blog in as many days...I'm on a roll I guess...

Anyway, I'm usually a positive guy who chooses to acknowledge the positive aspects of the wrestling industry as it unfolds rather than to bury it every time I disagree with a decision. I recognize the challenge of producing a monthly PPV along with 2 weekly telecasts and typically give some leeway in the decision making process.

That being said, even I find reasons to question the decisions of the powers-that-be and find myself utterly frustrated at the valuable airtime given to individuals who, quite frankly, have little to no positive impact on the product in the long run.

So here are the rules that I've made up off the top of my head to be eligible for the prestigious list: (1) must have held a title, (2) must have had a storyline/push in which the individual or team was the primary focus, (3) must not be currently active or a regular on-air contributor in WWE (i.e. Cena is disqualified), and (4) must have been with WWE since they began regularly scheduled telecasts (Saturday Night Main Event, Raw, etc.).

5. Bob Backlund
I may be alone on this one since it seems most of the IWC has a hard-on for this man, but in my eyes this "great in-ring technician" has been living off a reputation formed in the territory days and was nothing more than a pudgy, pale guy with mic skills that range from abysmal to mediocre. Many cite his matches with Bret Hart and in my eyes, those matches are vastly over-rated, especially when compared to the Hitman's body of work. I mean honestly, if we listed Bret Hart's top ten matches would any of his bought with Backlund even qualify?....and yes I have seen and own their matches at Wrestlemania and Survivor Series: above average at best.

4. The Ultimate Warrior
Ok, I loved him as a kid. I like him way more than Hogan. I had the Ultimate Warrior wrestling buddy stuffed toy. But once anyone gains an understanding/appreciation/common sense about wrestling you begin to see that the Ultimate Warrior was horrible in ring and, if possible, worse on the mic. How many hilariously-awful promos by the Warrior have been posted on this site? Exactly.

3. Brock Lesnar
Athletic freak who put together a healthy resume of quality matches. I don't have many complaints about his in-ring work. However, many individuals on this site and on other speak of Lesnar as if he could have been the saving grace of professional wrestling and that he was on the brink of being the greatest performer ever. Bull****. His promos were weak, his face looked as if he were constantly on the verge of tears, and his quality matches that I previously mentioned were the result of being put over by the biggest stars in the industry. In his short career, Lesnar got legit wins (i.e. put over) on The Rock, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Royal Rumble Victory, etc., etc. My point is that there are a plethora of wrestlers who could have had the same impact with the size of the push that Lesnar received.

2. Sid Justice/Sid Vicious/Psycho Sid
Is it just me or was anyone else completely bored by this man? He has had a handful of decent matches, but this man has had multiple runs as WWE and WCW champion and even headlined two Wrestlemanias. This is a guy who was physically superior than virtually everyone with his height, tone, build, power, and speed and yet continually put forth slow-paced matches to equal his slower-paced promos.
I want to be clear: I have no problem with Sid, but I believe it was ridiculous for him to receive the pushes as a main eventer that he did.

1. Ric Flair
We all know that Flair had his major WWE push in '92 when he won the Royal Rumble, but I am taking his whole career into account.
Ever since I was a kid I've been told and heard that Ric Flair is the greatest wrestler of all time and is the gold standard in the ring and on the mic. But in my mind falling flat on your face in the middle of a match does not make a good show, and screaming into a microphone until you're incoherent doesn't not make you a good promo man.
I firmly believe that the best angle Flair was ever involved with was the "win or you're fired" angle which culminated in his loss to HBK at Wrestlemania the day after he was enshrined into the Hall of Fame. It was emotional and poignant never required the use of a title belt to advance the importance of the story. Other than that Flair's career runs together as a series of screaming, red-faced promos and over-rated matches in which Flair would win or retain a title by some sort of tom-foolery.
I like the guy. I've seen him put on great matches and conduct very good promos. But I have never, in my life, tuned into WCW or WWE thinking "I have to see what happens with Flair this week." For me he is nothing more than a wrestler who has an occasional good angle whose hype has exceeded the quality of his work.

There it is. I'm sure there are guys I've left out and guys that you disagree with. I welcome and enjoy any and all arguments/criticisms/inflammatory name calling and so forth.

At the very least I hope you enjoyed the article.

Submit "Top 5 Most Over-Rated Wrestlers In WWE History" to Digg Submit "Top 5 Most Over-Rated Wrestlers In WWE History" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 5 Most Over-Rated Wrestlers In WWE History" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 5 Most Over-Rated Wrestlers In WWE History" to Google

Tags: overrated, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thank you, someone else who dislikes Flair.
    If flair is overrated, how come hogan aint?
    Hogan's reputation has been built on his impact to wrestling, but very rarely do you ever hear people say that he is the greatest wrestler. They may say he's the biggest star or the greatest performer, but in-ring wise people seem to acknowledge his shortcomings.
    As much as I hate Flair for doing the same match for 25 years his early days as a heel were some of the best ever. Not only is Flair not over rated he is on the top 10 wrestlers of all time.
    this list sucks,where is cena and hogan?and edge?-__-
    MIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOW brock lesnar revolutionized wrestling and worked his ass off and burnt himself out for the WWE. He didnt really need to make his promos because his current character had heyman doing all the talking for him

And of course flair but no hogan...

sigh. missing so many people...

i can add hogan, miz, cena, even ADR,
    Updated 10-01-2011 at 10:29 PM by jstunna54
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.