View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

Top 5 Non Wrestler Wrestling Personalities in History

Rate this Entry
This list is for the Top 5 non Wrestler, Wrestling personalities in Wrestling history.... This is a List of men who made a Huge impact in Prowrestling, but not as wrestlers.

There is Men Who stepped out of the spot light of being a in ring performer and Contributed to Wrestling as a Color commentator or a Manger.
There is managers who worked harder outside the ring to make a match great, Than the wrestlers in the ring. annoucers working their best to Sell a story and make sence of whats going on in the ring. Men who Was just as important as a On air charecter then the Wrestlers themself... These men are honored today in this Blog when I name the top 5 Non Wrestlers in Wrestling history.... Now Remember, this is on Air Characters only, So Booking or any other backstage work is not reconized.

5. Jesse "The Body" Ventura
Jesse Ventura is one of the Most Well known Wrestling personailties in History. If this list was going by most popular or best known he would be at the top of it without a doubt........ Jesse was such a Great Color commentator, That it actually over shadowed his Wrestling career (and Ventura had a succesful in ring career, So that is no small task). Jesse was a Great heel character, He wasnt overly heel or too biased like Other color guys before him, Jesse also made you identify with the heel as to oposed to thinking all heels just did these bad things cause they are evil. Jesses comments were tounge and cheek and Jesse was very quick witted and off the cuff... I will never forget when Gorillia Monsoon would Call Hulk Hogan "The Hulkster" and Jesse would correct him and call Hogan "The Luster", Saying Hulk Hogan Lusted after Miss Elizabeth and that was the reason Savage turned on him (Hogan). Jesse Was defintley a gifted Color guy. ..... Jesse Ventura was a very memorable and important part of WWF in the 80s. Jesse made alot of dull matches and moments in WWF and WCW way better than they had any right to be.

4. Paul Heyman
Heyman was a Great manager in WCW and WWE, A Pretty Decent Color guy That took a much more serious appraoch than other Color commentators. Heyman was also outstanding as Owner or General Manger character.... Heyman did it all and did it well. When Heyman was a Commentator, He Got the talent and the story of the match over. Heyman Made everything that happened in the ring that much more dramatic. Heyman could make you believe anything, Heyman was Very gifted at making people believe in what he was saying. When Heyman put a person or a finisher over he made you a believer, No matter what who was the person or what the finisher was.... Heymans also was a great manager, Managing some of the best in the business and being involved in some of best feuds and storylines in wrestling. Heyman helped carry the load for guys like Brock Lesnar and Steve Austin, when they were still very green in their careers.... Brock Lesnar would of never made it as far as he did if Heyman didnt come out of retirement to manage him, Brock Lesnar was very Green and couldnt do it on his own and Heyman was the perfect manager for him... Heyman is probably the best for his Incredible shoot promos. Heyman can make any feud and any storyline seem like a "must see" with a 5 min shoot like promo.. Look at his Shoot on Vince Mcmahon, He made the ECW brand seem like a threat, instead of a add on to the Alliance.... No matter what Heyman is doing he is a "gotta see" prospect and he is always one of the best parts of the show..... Love him or hate him he can capture a emotion, add Drama and further any storyline and push anyTalent, Just by his words.

3. Jim Ross
Jim Ross wasnt just a play by play guy, No Jim Ross was much, much more. The raw emotion Ross added to a match was off the charts. Also Hes memorable catch phrases (Slober Knocker, being whipped like a governent mule).... Ross would raise the intensity in a match by changing the tone of his voice, Ross made Victories more important and Title wins more Memorable and emotional. Ross made Brawls seem more Brutal, Heel tactics seem more dastarly and outlandish.... Jim Ross could turn a classic moment in to a Legendary moment. One of Mick Foleys biggest regrets was that Jim Ross wasnt commentating when he won his first World Championship, Thats how much Jim Ross meant to the show and how much he added to the product as a whole. .... Ross had a passion and desire for prowrestling and it showed in his commentating. Jim Rosses Passion and love for wrestling was unmatched by anyone, including the men in the ring. That is why Ross is so respected in Wrestling, for the dedication he put in to making people look good and making their landmark moment in their career just Soo much better by being on commentary. That is Why jim Ross belongs as number 3 on this list.

2. Vince Mcmahon
Vince Mcmahon in the late 90s was considered the best heel EVER!. So it be fitting to put him on the list as number 2..... The Mr. Mcmahon character was a Orginal and inovative character Played Perfectly by Vince Mcmahon. His Feud with Steve Austin was Legendary and probably the best drawing feud in Wrestling history. Never was there a non Wrestler that had so much impact on prowrestling. Vince was on of the best mic men in the company and this was a time when WWF had the best Talkers in history on the roster (The Rock, Steve Austin and Foley were in the WWF at the time) and vince would hold his own with them and some times over shadowing them on the mic..... From his amazing promo work, His Incredible feudwith Steve Austin that set the tone for WWF in 1998 and the amazing and incredible moments he as been involved in. You would be hard pressed to find a more entertaining non wrestling personality then Vince Mcmahon. I can tell you all the great moments and feuds Mcmahon as been in and all the Fantastic storylines he as been a part of and started but this blog would be like 10 pages long.

1. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
There is No and I mean NO one that is in Bobby Heenans League..... Bobby Heenan was The greatest non Wrestling personailty EVER, End of Story.... This Man was Incredible on the mic, He could make you laugh till you got light headed and then he could cut a promo that sends chills down your spine.... I watch a horrible Prime Time Wrestling on WWE 24/7, for the sole reason of Bobby Heenan.... Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan would never have worked if it wasnt for Bobby Heenan, Bobby Heenan was always the highlight of the show. I cant say enough Great things about Bobby heenan..... Do your self a favor and Watch the 1992 Royal Rumble and listen to Heenan Do color Commentary, it is like a work of art, Flairs performance was Amazing that night but i think Bobby Heenan matched him on commentary.... Everything in wrestling is a opinion, There is no scores and stats, its entertainment, so there is no way you can decided who is the best at What, its all a matter of opinion. But there is one opinion that should be a fact and that is "Bobby Heenan is the Greatest Manager in Wrestling History" Bobby Heenan had noo peers in this catorgory, He was the best, No doubt.

Submit "Top 5 Non Wrestler Wrestling Personalities in History" to Digg Submit "Top 5 Non Wrestler Wrestling Personalities in History" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 5 Non Wrestler Wrestling Personalities in History" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 5 Non Wrestler Wrestling Personalities in History" to Google

Updated 09-27-2011 at 12:45 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I will agree with this assessment. I tried to think of someone greater than Heenan as Non-Wrestler Personality. However, what about Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart. He isn't #1 but is should be where Ventura is. I'm sorry, even though "The Body" was a fantastic commentator, he was still a wrestler. Everyone else you named didn't really wrestle.
    I can't disagree with your list.
    RE: Ventura. I would also say that despite the fact that Ventura was a wrestler, his bigger impact was as a non-wrestler.
    I had the opportunity to see him wrestle many times in person and he was ok, but is mic skills were outstanding back in the old AWA. His promos were 2nd to none at that time. He and Adrian Adonis were a tremendous tag team....The" East-West connection " was extremely entertaining.

RE: Heenan
    Actually Bobby did do quite a bit of wrestling. I also saw him many times in person. He was involved in the famous "Weasel Suit" matches. The fans nicknamed him the weasel, because of his underhanded tactics as a manager. "Weasel" chants were common whenever he was present at ring side. The "weasel suit" was a one-piece white fur suit with a tail, which the loser of the match had to put on. Those were some classic matches.
    Almost all of the matches I saw with Heenan, ended with Bobby being a bloody mess. Th crowd absolutely loved it, as Heenan was so over as a heal
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie
    I can't disagree with your list.
    RE: Ventura. I would also say that despite the fact that Ventura was a wrestler, his bigger impact was as a non-wrestler.
    I had the opportunity to see him wrestle many times in person and he was ok, but is mic skills were outstanding back in the old AWA. His promos were 2nd to none at that time. He and Adrian Adonis were a tremendous tag team....The" East-West connection " was extremely entertaining.

RE: Heenan
    Actually Bobby did do quite a bit of wrestling. I also saw him many times in person. He was involved in the famous "Weasel Suit" matches. The fans nicknamed him the weasel, because of his underhanded tactics as a manager. "Weasel" chants were common whenever he was present at ring side. The "weasel suit" was a one-piece white fur suit with a tail, which the loser of the match had to put on. Those were some classic matches.
    Almost all of the matches I saw with Heenan, ended with Bobby being a bloody mess. Th crowd absolutely loved it, as Heenan was so over as a heal
    Oh no i think you missunderstood me, i said in the blog, former wrestlers who made a impact after stepping away from the ring and in to another postion..... all these men had wrestling matches including Jim Ross. but the point i was making they were not wrestlers. and in Jesse's case he was done with in ring at the time im crediting him on the list.... Former wrestlers can count just as long as their in ring career is done and Venturas in ring career was completly done at the time.... He wasnt like Hot Rod or Perfect, he didnt get back in the ring, He is way more well known for his Color commentating role than he ever was for his in ring career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerinaine
    I will agree with this assessment. I tried to think of someone greater than Heenan as Non-Wrestler Personality. However, what about Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart. He isn't #1 but is should be where Ventura is. I'm sorry, even though "The Body" was a fantastic commentator, he was still a wrestler. Everyone else you named didn't really wrestle.
    Yeah, Like i said in the top portion of the bo, it can be a wrestler that retired from the ring and made a impact as a Manger, Color commentator, GM or any non Wrestling role...... I was gonna include Jimmy Hart but really truly he wasnt that impactful to me, He was just too gimicky. I'm Not a huge fan of Jimmy Harts work, Too me all the men on this list had bigger and better impcts on rest than Hart did.

Yeah I agree, Heenan in WWE and AWA was just incredible.
    Surprised not to see Mene Gene here.
    Quote Originally Posted by midian
    Surprised not to see Mene Gene here.
    Wow im suprised you said that, Cause He was my number 5. Till Ventura beat him out.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    Oh no i think you missunderstood me, i said in the blog, former wrestlers who made a impact after stepping away from the ring and in to another postion..... all these men had wrestling matches including Jim Ross. but the point i was making they were not wrestlers. and in Jesse's case he was done with in ring at the time im crediting him on the list.... Former wrestlers can count just as long as their in ring career is done and Venturas in ring career was completly done at the time.... He wasnt like Hot Rod or Perfect, he didnt get back in the ring, He is way more well known for his Color commentating role than he ever was for his in ring career.

I did understand your blog. I was more or less responding to the post by the person before mine. They were saying that Bobby Heenan never wrestled.
    My comments on Ventura were meant to point out as good as he was as a wrestler on he promo part, he made MORE impact after his wrestling career as an announcer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.