View RSS Feed

bharath

How DB can be used to solve the storyline problem

Rate this Entry
A lot has been written of late and many opinions posted about how the WWE needs to get its act right, especially with respect to handling mid-carders with talent and most importantly, in terms of getting its storylines in the right direction. One of the points, misconstrued to be a central aspect of WWE storylines, is the John Cena heat. The situation there is very clear - milk the cash cow. Kids dig him and he receives heat from the older audience. WWE does not care about him being uni-dimensional, as long as the merchandise sell.

The larger issue is with respect to two important stars on the roster - CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.

Daniel Bryan provides a sort of catch-22 situation for the WWE. He has demonstrated very high technicality in his wrestling, but nothing much can be done with him on his personality / gimmick. He was touted to be the next Benoit and he is so far in the right direction at least inside the ring. Lets be honest and give him due credit for doing his job right in the mid-card (easily the most challenging segment of the roster).

To bring Bryan up, he needs a feud with a larger star in the same mould. I am thinking that Chris Jericho would be an example here. CJ has nothing left to prove. Widely regarded as a brilliant mix of in-ring and mic ability, he has won every WWE championship and his debut (99) and return (07-08) have been regarded as top class.

Booking DB with CJ would offer a huge stepping stone for DB. After all, both have the right perception among the people and can easily shift between heel/face. CJ's mic ability is what should drive the rage in DB in the feud and this can be used to bring DB up the ranks. I am not getting into more details on the booking, but merely pitting a rising star (who needs it) against an established superstar would do wonders for the interest factor and may just offer promise for the future.

Now on to the other superstar. CM Punk. Was it just me or did I actually see a spoiler at the bottom of the RAW results page tonight which read "CM Punk joins with Nash and Vince McMahon to form the new NWO"? Now if that were indeed true, it offers a huge platform for a long series of interesting bookings. The beauty, though, is that it is more likely to do good to the underdog / solitary fighter on the other side.

Pitting a heel stable against one man is more likely to yield results for the man. When the WWE authorities pitted VM/Rock and the gang against SCSA, it did wonders for Austin. He kept rising to superstardom every week, irrespective of whether he got kicked or he kicked someone else. The same though, cannot be said about the Nexus/Cena feud, which was a huge load of bull. The stable was not authoritative enough and at that stage, Cena would have done better going one-one with a bigger star.

The current situation with Punk/Nash offers a great situation. Punk is the no. 1 star in the roster and HHH is still yet to demonstrate his abilities as an authoritative figure. At the drop of a hat, he is more likely to get into the ring himself than nominate a protege. It can be viewed as "this guy gets his hands dirty" in a positive sense or "he is good in the ring, but he is not administrative material". The point I am making here is, this line must not end up being a push for HHH!!

Utilizing stars like Punk, HHH, Nash, VM would call for very careful booking. The kill is to have the right underdog / fighter on the side of HHH (assuming the VM/Punk/Nash - NWO rumor to be true). If the rumor is just hogwash, then it would help to bring in DB in the feud.

DB can also be pitted against Punk to create interesting storylines. He can be the next big thing, and even HHH can be used to push him (assume a possibility where HHH screws DB and defects to VM, Nash, Punk). That would offer a big opportunity for the people to fully back DB and it gives him the right push. With his ring ability, he would work on his mic abilities as well and can be a superstar.

Of course, this is merely a loud-thinking and needs more detailing / fine-tuning. Do let me know your views and thanks for your time.

Submit "How DB can be used to solve the storyline problem" to Digg Submit "How DB can be used to solve the storyline problem" to del.icio.us Submit "How DB can be used to solve the storyline problem" to StumbleUpon Submit "How DB can be used to solve the storyline problem" to Google

Updated 09-29-2011 at 12:14 AM by bharath (Categorization)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Interesting read. Firstly, I'm afraid to say that Jericho ain't coming back anytime soon, so you'd be waiting a long time for him to help push D.B! Secondly D.B is on Smackdown, with the Smackdown MITB briefcase, so I can't see him joining a big Raw stable. The Raw Supershow won't last forever and I'm afraid to say the brand extension isn't ending anytime soon! I hope he does get a push and I'm hoping his MITB briefcase, is the catalyst for that but I'm worried he'll either lose it to someone else first (like Mr. Kennedy did) or he could be the first to fail on a cash in!!! If they do ceate a new faction (and please please please don't call it NWO because Vince has already shit on it's legacy once and that was with the proper members!!) I think it'll be Vince, Laurinitis, Nash, Miz, R Truth, Otunga and a few others possibly thrown in, dependant on how big they want to go with it! The stuff with Cena, is down to 'Creative' having a perception that only with the belt on Cena, do they get decent ratings.
    All in all a good read!!
    That spoiler you read was probably the fake advertisements this site does at the end of each article.
    All in all a great read!
    On a side note, I am one of few people that can spell 'Laurinaitis'
    Quote Originally Posted by CM_SUXX_NOT
    That spoiler you read was probably the fake advertisements this site does at the end of each article.
    All in all a great read!
    Damn!! Missed the 'A' Ha!!
    Very good read and I love your ideas bro. Basically, you hit the nail on the head. Jericho would be the one legend that can actually give Bryan a decent match. The WWE just has to not drop the ball on Bryan. If you remember they used Jericho in 2010 to try and put over John Morrison and also Evan Bourne and eventually they got nothing out of the deal.

I really thought this would've been Morrison's opportunity. The WWE missed a big opportunity by not feuding Morrison one on one with Michaels in 2010. This could've been a babyface feud for both men in which they battle at a couple PPV's to see who's really the man. This would've rose Morrison further up the ladder. I mean look at what the DX vs Legacy feud did for the career of Cody Rhodes.

As far as Bryan, feuding him with Jericho is a big opportunity they must capitalize on as well. When I look at Daniel Bryan, I don't see Chris Benoit at all. Bryan is much more athletic, durable and is more of a loose high flyer. He's very technically sound in respects to Benoit but the thing that seperates Bryan is that he's double-jointed. I don't know if anyone has noticed that but this seperates him from the whole roster and hopefully he can capture the World Title at Mania 28
    I would love to see an NWO with these wrestler:
    Kevin Nash-Advisor / manager
    CM Punk
    Chris Hero
    Colt Cabana
    Claudio Castenoli
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    Interesting read. Firstly, I'm afraid to say that Jericho ain't coming back anytime soon, so you'd be waiting a long time for him to help push D.B! Secondly D.B is on Smackdown, with the Smackdown MITB briefcase, so I can't see him joining a big Raw stable. The Raw Supershow won't last forever and I'm afraid to say the brand extension isn't ending anytime soon! I hope he does get a push and I'm hoping his MITB briefcase, is the catalyst for that but I'm worried he'll either lose it to someone else first (like Mr. Kennedy did) or he could be the first to fail on a cash in!!! If they do ceate a new faction (and please please please don't call it NWO because Vince has already shit on it's legacy once and that was with the proper members!!) I think it'll be Vince, Laurinitis, Nash, Miz, R Truth, Otunga and a few others possibly thrown in, dependant on how big they want to go with it! The stuff with Cena, is down to 'Creative' having a perception that only with the belt on Cena, do they get decent ratings.
    All in all a good read!!

Wade - thanks for your views, buddy. I agree with the brand extension part, but if they do want to push someone, there is always the draft, or they would just allow him to create havoc on the other brand. I also referred to the faction as NWO due to the fake ad!! I don't think it would be called that and in my personal view, I feel the Miz and Truth would not be involved in it at all. Lets hope for some good storylines in the future!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CM_SUXX_NOT
    All in all a great read!

CM_SUXX - That was the most enlightening piece of information that I got - thanks buddy, I fell for the fake ad LOL.

That apart, the point of my article still stays, though
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.