View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

Top 5 Free TV Matches in Wrestling History

Rate this Entry
There is Many matches on Free TV, But its very Rare you see that One match, The match that Grabs you, The match that You talk about for years to come, Keeps people talking for decades, That Rare Free TV match that is Better than any Big show PPV match all that year or maybe the best match you seen in years..... Here is the Top 5 Free TV matches in Wrestling history.

5. Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit (Owen Tribute match)
This match was a Tribute to the "Great Owen Hart" Who Tragicly Lost his life in that same arena. This Match wasnt about Titles, Storyline, Heels, faces, PPV Buyrates or TV ratings. This was about honoringOwen Hart Memory, Chris Benoit and Bret Hart did that with Pure Wrestling... It was a Fantasic match, A Classic Wrestling encounter by two of the Greatest in Ring performers ever.... Bret in 99 wasnt at the level he once was just 2 years prior, He lost the desire he had to compete and be the best, but on this Night he put out a classic With a Man who was considered the Best in Ring performer at the time, Chris Benoit.....
Being a Tribute match kinda hurt the Drama of the match and Brets better days were behind him, But this was a technical Masterpiece (I could only imagine if this Match was done in 1996 or 97 on a main event PPV how Incredible it would be).... Very Emotional match, Everything just clicked and a fitting Tribute To Brets Baby brother Owen. (The Clip above is only part 1, the addinal parts could be found on Youtube)

4. John Cena vs Shawn Michales (Raw in London)
This was a rematch to the Great match they had at Wrestlemania 23.... No one expected anything from this match. With Orton and Edge being the Main event for that night, Everyone assumed Cena and Michaels would wrestle for a little bit of time and Orton and Edge would come down and cause a DQ and change the Main event of the night to Edge and Orton vs HBK and Cena, To sell the Fatal 4 match those 4 men were having at the main event of the WWEs next PPV Backlash. But Lucky for us things didnt turn out that way, Instead we got Shawn Michales and John Cena wrestling for almost 1 hour in a classic match on Raw....
This is the match you show John Cena Critics. Cena has his Flaws, but when he needs to turn it up Cena reaches another level all together.... Classic match here, No one expected it, It was a throw back to the old days of wrestling on TV, canceling the main event cause the match before went longer than expected.... What happend That Night in London, Wrestling Fans got a Amazing Wrestling match that they havent seen the likes of in a very long time, John Cena got Respect from the Nay sayers and crittics he had and Shawn Showed why he is One of the Best EVER. (first of Several Clips for this Classic)

3. Steve Austin vs Chris Benoit (WWE title match in Canada on SmackDown)
What a Match here. Intense, brutal, Techinally sound, it had all the ingredients of a classic.... Austin was on a tear in 2001, Wrestling Hold for Hold with the best of the best. He spent the year with him and Kurt Angle suplexing the shit out of each other and Going Move for move with Greats like Benoit and Jericho. Austin was in the Ring with a motivated Chris Benoit in his hometown. These 2 men had a phyisical and intense match, Just beating the crap out of each other and leaving it all in the ring. Brutal suplexs, Painful submissions and it went on and on... The ending wasnt the best but the match it self set the crowed on fire and showed What these 2 men could do. (This is Clip 1/2)

2. Owen Hart vs The British Bulldog (Euro Title Finals in germany, Raw)
What a Great match Bulldog and Owen pulled off here.The expectations were high but they exceed them.... What seemed to be a lack luster Raw produced one of the best TV matches ever in Wrestling with the Tag team Champions (Bulldog and Owen) Facing off in a Incredible match... Alot of great hold and counter hold wrestling here, Owen Uses some old school cheap heel tactics to get the advantage but still keeps it to the point where it didnt break the Team he and the Bulldog had up. Perfect match to introduce the european title and the Fans in Germany got a real Treat by seeing a Excellently Wrestled Tourniment Finals between 2 Great Talented men who knew each other so well that it was impossible for them to have a bad match.(this is Clip one of the match, The whole series i Think is 2 clips long)

1.Ricky Steamboat vs Ric Flair (NWA Championship, 2/3 falls, Clash of champions)
The Greatest TV match ever and What many consider the Greatest match ever. Words cant do this match justice, Easily Steamboat and Flairs best match..... It was 2/3 falls match, The match had its flaws but it was done with such Charm, Passion and desire and it was excuted so well. This match is the reason why people still talk about Flair vs Steamboat 22 years later.... Please I urge you to Pick up a DVD with this match, It is on the Flair 3 disc set and I think it is also on other DVD sets. This match alone is worth it. (The Clip is part 2 of the match, sadly Youtbe had part one but it was removed for Copy Right reasons)

Well there is my list, Its kinda werid the only 2 matches that were taped in america on my list was #5 and #1. Go figure... I like to do some honorble mentions but I know ill miss some but here it is.
Edge vs Eddie Guerreo (No DQ Match from SmackDown)
MR. Perfect vs Ric Flair (Raw, Loser Leaves Town match)
TLC 4 from SmackDown
Lesnar vs Kurt Angle (Iron man SmackDown)
Jericho and Benoit vs Austin and HHH (Raw)
Radicals and HHH vs Rock, Foley and Too Cool
Barry Windham vs Ric Flair
Bret Hart vs 123 Kid (Raw)
and many more.

I urge you to see these matches the right way on DVD.
#5. on the list is on the "Chris Benoit Hard Knocks" DVD.
#4 on the list is on the "Shawn Michaels Heartbreak & Triumph" DVD
#3 is not on any commerical DVD.
#2 is on the "Hart and Sould DVD" also the "Raw 10th anniversary" DVD.
#1 is on the "Ultimate Ric Flair Collection" DVD

Thank you for reading, Sorry about my grammar and Spelling issues.

Submit "Top 5 Free TV Matches in Wrestling History" to Digg Submit "Top 5 Free TV Matches in Wrestling History" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 5 Free TV Matches in Wrestling History" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 5 Free TV Matches in Wrestling History" to Google

Updated 09-25-2011 at 02:02 AM by THE_CRIPPLER

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Classic matches.

First recent match that comes to my mind is John Morrison versus Rey Misterio.. Morrison won the IC title. It was a very good light guys match.
    I enjoyed this read very much.
    I would be remissed not to mention the Goldberg-Hogan WCW Heavyweight Championship match on July 6, 1998. I definitely am not saying this was the best match in a technical sense at all, but I cannot recall a more anicipated televised match in all my days. Just watch that match and see the intensity in the crowd, the fever-pitch at which every single person in that audience was at. I don't believe one single person was in their seat. When Goldberg speared Hogan as a prelude to the jackhammer, the roof on that place exploded like none other in the history of wrestling. To me, because of the magnitude of Hogan and the NWO, the groundswell of support for the emerging Goldberg, and the anticipation of this match to happen for several months leading up to it, this was the greatest televised match of all time.
    Updated 09-26-2011 at 02:51 PM by Rebel Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Lion
    I would be remissed not to mention the Goldberg-Hogan WCW Heavyweight Championship match on July 6, 1998. I definitely am not saying this was the best match in a technical sense at all, but I cannot recall a more anicipated televised match in all my days. Just watch that match and see the intensity in the crowd, the fever-pitch at which every single person in that audience was at. I don't believe one single person was in their seat. When Goldberg speared Hogan as a prelude to the jackhammer, the roof on that place exploded like none other in the history of wrestling. To me, because of the magnitude of Hogan and the NWO, the groundswell of support for the emerging Goldberg, and the anticipation of this match to happen for several months leading up to it, this was the greatest televised match of all time.
    Yeah Huge match. It just wasnt a really good one..... Sort of like Hogan and Andre the Giant being called the greatest match ever. It was a important match but by no means was it a great match.

You know, that Goldberg and Hogan match got me thinking on how that moment with Hogan and Goldberg, Should of been Stings moment. Sting should of been that man, People were so ready for Sting to be that man, but Sting Just botched the whole match. Sting Just didnt put much effort in it and he gave Hogan so much of the match and made himself look weak, not to mention that the match was terrible and the messed up 3 count where Sting actually got pinned.
    hey bro whats up Crippler. Great choices and I'd say I agree 100%. If I had to add one, I would add Rey Mysterio vs Juventude Guerrera WCW Thunder 1998 I believe
    All five are great and could be in anyones top matches on free tv. Even your honorable mentions are great. No argument from me!!!

Other matches on free TV that I enjoyed and changed the landscape of certain wrestlers and wrestling in general.

Ric Flair vs Sting @ the first Clash of Champions. The match made Sting a superstar. Outside of the lame "Celebrity" judges the match was great.

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy, Ladder match for the WWE Championship, Raw 2002. This match, IMO, made the world think Jeff Hardy could be a great singles Wrestler. The sign of respect Taker showed Hardy after the match INSTANTLY made Jeff Hardy more than just a Hardy Boy.

Ric Flair vs Edge, TLC match for the WWE Championship, Raw 2006. The emotion, the drama, Flair being in a TLC match made this match huge. Outside of Flair's "retirement" match with HBK at Mania, this match was one of the most emotional matches of Flair's I can remember. WWE use of FLair's daughter in the crowd, and the crowd support for Flair made this match great. Sadly a bloody battered Flair came up short. I only wish Jim Ross was calling the match.

Shelton Benjamin vs Shawn Micheals, Gold Rush Tourney, Raw 2005. This match was just AMAZING. MOstly known for the sick finsh, who can forget that? But the match itself was just fantastic. I thought this match was going to be what turned Shelton Benjamin's career around. He always had the talent, but he just lacked the chrisma. Sadly it didnt pan out for Benjamin, not for lack of effort on the WWE's part to make him one, he just never clicked with fans.

Gotta add a womens match, I suppose.....

Wendi Richter vs Moolah, WWF Women's Championship, The Brawl to end it all, MTV 1985. Rock 'N' Wrestling, the WWF working relationship with MTV help fuel the WWF to be the biggest company in the WOrld. Richter finally became Women's Champion and the ratings were HUGE. I think at the time it was the hightest rated tv wrestling program of all time.

Again great blog
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Choosen One
    All five are great and could be in anyones top matches on free tv. Even your honorable mentions are great. No argument from me!!!

Other matches on free TV that I enjoyed and changed the landscape of certain wrestlers and wrestling in general.

Ric Flair vs Sting @ the first Clash of Champions. The match made Sting a superstar. Outside of the lame "Celebrity" judges the match was great.

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy, Ladder match for the WWE Championship, Raw 2002. This match, IMO, made the world think Jeff Hardy could be a great singles Wrestler. The sign of respect Taker showed Hardy after the match INSTANTLY made Jeff Hardy more than just a Hardy Boy.

Ric Flair vs Edge, TLC match for the WWE Championship, Raw 2006. The emotion, the drama, Flair being in a TLC match made this match huge. Outside of Flair's "retirement" match with HBK at Mania, this match was one of the most emotional matches of Flair's I can remember. WWE use of FLair's daughter in the crowd, and the crowd support for Flair made this match great. Sadly a bloody battered Flair came up short. I only wish Jim Ross was calling the match.

Shelton Benjamin vs Shawn Micheals, Gold Rush Tourney, Raw 2005. This match was just AMAZING. MOstly known for the sick finsh, who can forget that? But the match itself was just fantastic. I thought this match was going to be what turned Shelton Benjamin's career around. He always had the talent, but he just lacked the chrisma. Sadly it didnt pan out for Benjamin, not for lack of effort on the WWE's part to make him one, he just never clicked with fans.

Gotta add a womens match, I suppose.....

Wendi Richter vs Moolah, WWF Women's Championship, The Brawl to end it all, MTV 1985. Rock 'N' Wrestling, the WWF working relationship with MTV help fuel the WWF to be the biggest company in the WOrld. Richter finally became Women's Champion and the ratings were HUGE. I think at the time it was the hightest rated tv wrestling program of all time.

Again great blog
    You know i been meaning to rewatch that match cause the last time i seen it was when it aired.... I been hearing people talk about it alot and i got the urge to watch it, i think i should pop in my Raw 10th anniversary DVD.

I was gonna rewatch the Owen Bulldog match, to see how it aged, but i decided to stick it at number 2, I remember the Match being so amazing on Raw and its hard to put anything above it other than Flair and Steamboat... I was gonna add the TLC on smackdown, but I dont know maybe to spotty to add still a great match.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.