View RSS Feed

knox

The many faces of John Cena

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Hey guys Knox here, hope everything is going ok with everyone. I'm blogging about Cena today. We all know about how Cena was just awarded the WWE Title for the 10th time and it caused an uproar.

Personally, I'm a huge Cena fan. I value the guy's work ethic. When he was a heel in 2003, he was my favorite ever, I mean he rised to quick and probably deserved the WWE Title back in 2003 with his feuds with then WWE champs Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle.

Anyway, I'm going to go through the many faces of Cena.

Face 1: Ruthless Aggression Rookie (2002)

This is when he first came in. This is the one time he looked like a typical/normal wrestler. Great build, wrestling tights and a fresh angry hero rookie gimmick. I hated this gimmick lol.

Face 2: Heel Freestyling Cena (2003)

This is his best freakin work. The guy was getting such a huge reaction good and bad I mean the crowd erupted for this guy and it was awesome. I can't begin to count the memorable segments he did with this gimmick. The freestlyles against The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Rikishi, Kurt Angle, Stephanie McMahon and others. He was the man and this by far was my favorite Cena. I'll take you all down memory lane, check out this heat Cena receives after a very nice freestyle against Kurt.

Face 3: Doctor of Thuganomics (2004-2005)

This was when he finally turned face and the crowd was super behind him. He went on to capture his first singles championship by winning the United States Championship from The Big Show at Wrestlemania 20. This is where he was pretty much on his way to becoming the top dog. Check out all the grown man Cena chants in this one.

Face 4: Chain-Gang Cena/Hustle Loyalty Respect (2005-2006)

He finally had a name for us fans of his, we were apart of his chain gang. This was the best gimmick he had. He let go of the rapping gimmick but still kept that street demeanor with him. This is when he finally captured the WWE Title at Wrestlemania 21 from my boy JBL. This gimmick drew but then the politics started kicking in which ended this gimmick very quick. The WWE didn't want a guy portrayed as a babyface thug representing their company as WWE champ.

Face 5: The Marine (2006-2008)

This my friends is where everything began to go down hill and when many of his loyal fans turned on him. The fact that he was on a path of being a movie star being to bother us all. We loved John Cena because he wasn't all Hollywood and he was a real dude in the ring that people could relate to.

So he accepted the Marine movie role. I didn't think the movie was bad, I just thought it was very typical and predictable. All of Cena's movies pretty much have the same plot. I mean in both 12 Rounds and the Marine, he is trying to rescue his kidnapped girlfriend. But the fact that the Rock called Cena out was beyong seeing as he played in horrible films such as the Tooth Fairy, The Scorpion King, Be Cool and Walking Tall.

So the WWE made the Marine the new gimmick for Cena. This is where he lost his balls. He had to do the right thing and come to everyone's rescue. He began to deliver Hogan like promos. It was horrible. He was becoming a whole different Cena than we all fell in love with.

Face 6: Super-Cena (2008 - )

This is currently where we are at. The superhero that gets his ass kicked for 15 minutes and turns around in 3 minutes to capture the victory. This is the Cena that draws for the kids. We are stuck in this gimmick until creative makes a move but it seems as if they want to role with this Cena forever. IT WILL NEVER END lol.

Now we are reduced to this.

Thanks guys for checking this out. This was basically me running through the different Cena's. My favorite hands down would have to be the 2003 heel Cena. Leave me feedback as well as your favorite Cena. And PLEASE CHECK OUTMY SONG ON YOUTUBE BELOW. THANKS GUYS AND BE SAFE.

Submit "The many faces of John Cena" to Digg Submit "The many faces of John Cena" to del.icio.us Submit "The many faces of John Cena" to StumbleUpon Submit "The many faces of John Cena" to Google

Updated 09-23-2011 at 12:47 AM by knox

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    great read knox. perfect recap of cena's many faces. and great song too man.
    *deep sigh* you're right..... you are so right. Agree with everything you said and alot of people think fans like me hate Cena but, I/we don't hate Cena. I just think most are like you. We are just tired of the Superman "gimmick". Why is it the best gimmicks get the shortest run?.... Whats up wit dat?
    yeah i never had a problem with cena before his super-cena run. i was a fan of his heel work and he'll always be a heel to me, and i admire his work ethic but i've always booed him. i respect him, and love to hate him. which is why i refuse to like him lol.
    Great blog first off. As a Cena fan, I will admit that I started liking him since his debut against Kurt Angle (heck, I've seen his "Prototype" matches and I was impressed). Then he went off to freestyling and ironically that is when I almost gave up on him; however, once he developed his gimmick more going into "Thuganomics" he was more convincing on both, the mic and in the ring. Since then, I've been a fan but I'd be lying to say that his 5-move-comeback matches didn't rub me the wrong way.

Now to my next point, despite the way he was booked to wrestle, he did have some very good matches over the years in my opinion with such opponents such as Edge, Umaga, HBK, CM Punk, Rey, Bobby Lashley, Randy Orton, and so on. Although the Super Cena gimmick hasn't been convincing on the mic as of late, his matches in the past few months have been good if not great. Even if the PG era ends and goes PG13 or even R, Cena has the mic skills to impress as he already displayed in the past so perhaps in due time, John Cena will pursue a gimmick which many more people (and Chavo) can enjoy.

P.S. my favorite Cena gimmick would have to be the Marine gimmick as he displayed very good and funny mic skills/promos as well as very good matches (Last Man Standing vs Umaga, 2 great HBK matches, Backlast Fatal 4 with HBK/Edge/Orton, A surprisingly good match vs Lashley at G.A.B., and a Summerslam match vs Orton to name some matches).
    Updated 09-23-2011 at 01:34 PM by SlammasterJ
    Thanks guys and thanks for listening to the song.

I mean I'd be lying as well if I said I wasn't a huge fan. I mean his 2003 gimmick was so fresh in 2003 because he came in as a white rapper that freestyled on the fans and fellow wrestlers. It was similar to Lanny Poffo's poetry but much more entertaining. He was a huge draw in just under a year without being forced down our throats. When he came on the scene I was 11 years old and took a liking to him so as a child that grew to a man, that love is always there.

The sad part is that I boo the hell out of Cena at live events. I however have never been apart of the "Cena Sucks" chants because the guy does not suck.

The WWE just has to realize that there are ways to push Cena without having him always have the WWE Title or be in the title picture. The beauty of the old days were that guys like Triple H, The Rock, Stone Cold, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho were not always in the title picture because the mainevent was so stacked. The WWE just needs to build more heel maineventers and keep them their without giving them a weak character
    60 blogs! Thanks for keeping us entertained knox!
    Nice blog here, again. I don't get why people still complain about the "5 moves of doom" concept regarding Cena. Almost every main event wrestler in the past has had these signature moves that are recognized by fans to win their matches. Even the IWC's current favorite, CM Punk has them. I believe the problem that people have with Cena stems down to how the majority of Cena's matches are played out. His matches have had a similar tone for several years: Cena gets his ass handed to him for 80% of the match, then miraculously comes back with his signature moves and wins the match. Despite all this, hes still the posterboy, and rightfully so. I doubt most of the people on the roster could handle a schedule like his. So its not as easy as saying "make Punk, The Miz, or Orton" the posterboy.

I don't even like rap, but enjoyed that gimmick he had all those years ago. But it wouldn't fit into the current landscape, like I've said many times before. Well heres hoping that the SuperCena gimmick dies off sooner rather than later
    I think his Heel mid Card run was very entertaining and different... but he was so green in the ring when he was a heel. I seen a match recently with Him and Benoit, When Cena was heel. Good math but Cena had along way to go. Cena as got much better in the ring around 2006.... then after his injury he started to slip for awhile, Now his matches are getting back up there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.