View RSS Feed

kingez77

Hall of Famers That Should Have Been World Champion

Rate this Entry

With Mark Henry's recent World Heavyweight Championship victory over Orton, there have been numerous people listing off other superstars who should have been World Champions (Regal, Jerry "The King" Lawler, Bob Holly, etc.) and who should never have held a World Title (names I've heard are Yokozuna, Swagger, and of course David Arquette). These all have valid arguments behind them, but that's not the point of this blog. The point of this blog is to focus on Hall of Famers (or should be Hall of Famers) that never won the World Heavyweight or WWE titles in their career. I'm only mentioning a few names, because lord knows there are plenty of wrestlers who never won that should have. I'm going to focus on a few of the main names in my opinion, so feel free to sound off below on who I left out that should be included. And of course, bring on the criticism as well. Also, if you love to talk wrestling and debate, join the World Wrestling Order on Facebook. We hold debates at every WWE show online, talk wrestling, and have a good time. Contact Quincy Jones (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=724031869) or myself (http://www.facebook.com/#!/ZACAAF) if you're interested. I'll mention this a few times throughout this blog. Now, onto the worthy never-were Champions...

What better way to kick off the list than with the man who changes the questions when we thought we had the answers? Hot Rod, the Rowdy one, Roddy Piper himself. This man has been in the business since 1972 and still shows up occasionally just as golden on the mic as before, can make the crowd love him or hate him, and has made more crappy movies than Hulk Hogan (not really a reason he should've been champ, just something I think is a fun fact). For a full run-down of Piper's career, check out this site. But for our purposes, I'll focus on his WCW and WWE accomplishments. He has an extensive championship history, but never won the big one. In WWE, all he ever mustered was the Intercontinental Title and in WCW the United States Championship. He of course had the Infamous Piper's Pit which of course paved the way for The Cutting Edge and the Highlight Reel. Piper had all the makings of a champion-A great look (in his hay-day), great in-ring ability, was extremely over with the fans, and of course was golden on the mic. I could go on and on (much like I could about the others I'm going to mention, but I want to keep it short and sweet) about why he deserves it, but for these reasons and his multitude of accomplishments in the business, Piper should have won the big one.

The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase. At one point, the most despised wrestler in all of wrestling. In my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, heels of all time. This guy had millions of dollars, which he always reminded us of, and fooled us into believing he'd give some of it away. To encompass his dastardly deeds and his brilliance on the mic, check this out. He's been in the business since 1975, and like the other members on this list, has won numerous championships across organizations, but never won the big one. He had tremendous feuds with Dusty Rhodes, Undertaker, Bret Hart, and many others. The man created his own title! Not to mention he was the head of one of the greatest stables of all time, and has one of the greatest characters of all time. He had great technical in ring ability, tremendous charisma, was over with the fans as the top heel in the business at one point, and is just a legend in the business. Again, you can look up his personal history for yourselves and watch the links in the videos, this is just an outline. He should've won the WWE title (I realize he was awarded the title when Andre forfeited it, but it was not an official reign and was immediately vacated, so it does not count). And we all know that he has the best evil laugh ever. Everybody has a price.

Owen Hart, may he rest in peace. Owen Hart is truly one of the all time greats. He overcame the shadow of his brother Bret to solidify himself as one of the best in the business. He is also an unofficial champion, as he beat Bret but the match was restarted which Bret won. Now those 3 video clips aren't from that match, but they are from their epic enounter at WrestleMania 10. This clip alone shows how great Owen was in the ring. He was underrated on the mic and never got the push he deserved. He also won other titles outside of WWE, and while in WWE won the King of the Ring, European Championship, Intercontinental Championship, and 4 Tag Team Championships. Its a real shame that WWE never gave him the huge push he deserved, because he was truly something special. He had all the makings of a WWE champion. RIP Owen.

"Mr. Perfect" wasn't just a gimmick or moniker for Curt Henning-it was true. The man was perfect. He was perfect in the ring, on the mic, in the commentary booth, and apparently at all sports. Just look at this tribute video, it shows it all. Why Curt Henning was never awarded the WWE title, I will never know. He had it all-Charisma, Talent, Look, and work ethic (at least in his younger days). He had many great feuds, arguably most notably with Bret Hart.
His matches with Hart were always great. These clips are from 1989, before their epic encounters in 1991 and 1993. He was probably the only wrestler who could have a fisherman suplex as his finisher and call it a Perfect-Plex. His stint in WCW could've been better, but his return at the Rumble (click the previous link to watch) was epic. He had a great showing and proved he could still hang with the WWE's best at the time. It's unfortunate he didn't get the chance then (and especially unfortunate how he left the company in 2002) and that he didn't get the chance to be the best in his prime. I know I've said that all of these wrestlers have had it all, but Henning had it all. At a time when tremendous young talent reigned supreme in the WWE, Henning was at the top of his game. He just never made it to the top of the WWE. I honestly believe that if guys like Hogan and Savage weren't around at this time (WWE was loaded when these guys were at their prime, and they put their faith in Hart and Michaels only instead of the men on this list) then a few if not all of these men would have won the WWE title, maybe on multiple occasions. Curt Henning was one of the best ever, and he is missed. RIP.

Yes they did, Batista, because you can't unlike these fine legends I just spoke of.

When guys like Roddy Piper, Ted DiBiase, Owen Hart, and Curt Henning never won the major wrestling titles but guys like Batista did, there is something wrong with that scenario. The roster when Batista won the title wasn't as strong as when the legends were active, granted, but there were guys who deserved a title reign more than Batista. I know there are a ton of guys I did not list, but that is for the sake of time and space. We know not everyone who is deserving of a title reign gets it, but these are guys who definitely should have gotten one no matter what.

You know plenty of other guys who never won the WWE or World Heavyweight Championships but should have (Rick Rude, Jerry "The King" Lawler, Jimmy Snuka, etc) so sound off below. Do you agree with the ones I've listed? Disagree? Want to add someone else? Sound off below. And again, if you want to join a group on FaceBook that talks wrestling, has debates after every WWE show, and is just a flat out fun group, join the World Wrestling Order. Contact myself or Quincy Jones (contact info above) and we'll get you in. Remember the legends! Hope for good things to come!

Submit "Hall of Famers That Should Have Been World Champion" to Digg Submit "Hall of Famers That Should Have Been World Champion" to del.icio.us Submit "Hall of Famers That Should Have Been World Champion" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hall of Famers That Should Have Been World Champion" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Choosen One
    Curt Hennig, Jerry Lawler and Rick Rude were all World Champions. Why do people want to act like the WWE has been the only wrestling company is the world through-out history? RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!! DO IT!!!!!!! IT WONT HURT!!!!!
    i did do research. i counted the world heavyweight championship as well. i know what titles they won outside of wwe, but they were never nationally recognized for it. you got national recognition with wwe and wcw. calm your self down.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingez77
    i did do research. i counted the world heavyweight championship as well. i know what titles they won outside of wwe, but they were never nationally recognized for it. you got national recognition with wwe and wcw. calm your self down.
    I agree with you... WWE and WCW, WWWF and NWA (in the 80s and and earlier) are the only titles I count.

I mean I dont say that AWA, ECW or so on dont count. But it isnt in the league of the WWE, WCW, NWA and WWF/WWWF.... I dont put those champions in the same place as the big leagues.

To me Curt Henning (and many others) is one of the best Wrestlers to never win a World title.
    Updated 09-24-2011 at 12:50 AM by THE_CRIPPLER
    I disagree, the AWA World title was a well respected title.
    For one the AWA World Title was a well respected title. The AWA was a well respected company. Just because the company isnt around anymore doesnt downgrade there history. People who dont consider the AWA as a major wrestling company needs to get a clue and should probably leave the blog and forum area. The AWA was on the same ground as the WWF and NWA. It was the 3rd biggest company and produced sooooo many Wrestlers that became Legends. Vince McMahon didnt raid the AWA for people like Hulk Hogan, Bobby Hennen, THe Iron Sheik, and sooooo many others because the AWA wasnt a big company.

You people bow down to everything McMahon that you are blinded by "Real" Wrestling history. So since you people kneel to everything McMahon, why on earth would McMahon go out of his way to make a AWA dvd set if the AWA was such a little bitty part of wrestling history?

Now on to Rick Rude. You say you count WCW and NWA world titles, but you fail to mention Rick Rude as a former World Champion. When Flair took the World title to WWF back in his "Real World Heavyweight Champion" gimmick, WCW and NWA had to create a new title. The NWA didnt agree with WCW, they wanted Flair to be there Champion. But with Flair being in the WWF he couldnt defend the NWA title, so WCW pulled out of the NWA and created and "International" World Champion and that belt was won by Rick Rude. Rude defended the title in WCW and all over the world. Once Flair came back to WCW he was still holding the WCW World title and still doing the "Real Heavyweight Champion" gimmick. Rude actually never lost the belt before being stripped of it. Then WCW had a unification match between Sting and Flair at one of the Clash of Champions shows on TBS. WCW treated the belt as a their World Championship, to down play it now is ridiculous. Rick Rude is a former World Champion....enough said!!!
    ted dibiase sr was the champion he bought it from andre the giant with the double reff gimmick
    For one the AWA World Title was a well respected title. The AWA was a well respected company. Just because the company isnt around anymore doesnt downgrade there history. People who dont consider the AWA as a major wrestling company needs to get a clue and should probably leave the blog and forum area. The AWA was on the same ground as the WWF and NWA. It was the 3rd biggest company and produced sooooo many Wrestlers that became Legends. Vince McMahon didnt raid the AWA for people like Hulk Hogan, Bobby Hennen, THe Iron Sheik, and sooooo many others because the AWA wasnt a big company.

You people bow down to everything McMahon that you are blinded by "Real" Wrestling history. So since you people kneel to everything McMahon, why on earth would McMahon go out of his way to make a AWA dvd set if the AWA was such a little bitty part of wrestling history?

Now on to Rick Rude. You say you count WCW and NWA world titles, but you fail to mention Rick Rude as a former World Champion. When Flair took the World title to WWF back in his "Real World Heavyweight Champion" gimmick, WCW and NWA had to create a new title. The NWA didnt agree with WCW, they wanted Flair to be there Champion. But with Flair being in the WWF he couldnt defend the NWA title, so WCW pulled out of the NWA and created and "International" World Champion and that belt was won by Rick Rude. Rude defended the title in WCW and all over the world. Once Flair came back to WCW he was still holding the WCW World title and still doing the "Real Heavyweight Champion" gimmick. Rude actually never lost the belt before being stripped of it. Then WCW had a unification match between Sting and Flair at one of the Clash of Champions shows on TBS. WCW treated the belt as a their World Championship, to down play it now is ridiculous. Rick Rude is a former World Champion....enough said!!!
    Simply put the only titles that count as World titles are NWA/ WCW Title (when WCW dropped the NWA title, it stopped counting) and the WWWF/WWF/WWE title.... WCW international Championship doesnt count cause it wasnt even called a World title and it was very short lived and WCW had the World title still. It was treated as a mid card belt....
    TNA is the number 2 promotion in wrestling right now and their World title doesnt count, ECW was the legit number 3 and their World title doesnt count either...
    Sorry no one counts AWA World Champions as True World Champions. You are the small minoirty in this matter.... Plus AWA was ran very indy like. WWWF was controlled by Mcmahon Senior, NWA was ran by a board of Directors, AWA was controlled by Verne Gagne, Gagne used his ownership to make him self a 10 time champion, that devalues the title, Wrestlers have been bookers but still You have the owner making him self a champion over and over. It was a vanity to Gagne..... AWA World title was a joke, The only person that made it sort of respected is Nick Bockwinkle. It was merged with other titles then unmerged, It was treated as a joke.... you think ROH would merge their title with TNA and then wait and unmerge it and bring it back? haha I dont even know if Jerry Lawler defended the Title on AWA TV or in AWA....Not to mention AWAs lack of big shows and PPVs. I dont even know what was AWAs big shows called? I think they just ran house shows is all.

and dont go on that Vince Mcmahon hates AWA or is bitter at AWA.... Why the hell would Vince hate AWA? AWA was never any compition to WWF, WCW Almost put WWE out of business and Vince still considers WCW world titles, he even uses its title for his Smackdown show.... He Brought back the ECW world title, Even let the new ECW Champion hold the WWE championship also to make The ECW title seem more legit.... Vince Mcmahon doesnt Give the AWA and their world titles any recognition for 1 simple reason. Cause no one really gives a shit about the AWA.... AWA is impotant so show where some of WWFs talent from the 80's came from but other than that it has no market value.... So stop going to everyones thread and bitching about the AWA and acting like you know anything about wrestling cause you watched the AWA.

and also, WWE made the AWA DVD cause he felt it be cheap enough to make and might make a little money on it, Plus it shows were some of the WWF 80's talent came from... but the reason was mostly for the story, the drama of the story.... Hell WWE made a Great ECW DVD but I dont count the ECW as a True World title.... Not to mention they made a WWC DVD also... so whats your point? you think Vince makes DVDs to educate people about the History of wrestling hahahaha, or do you think he does it to make money? (which he didnt with the AWA DVD).
    Updated 09-25-2011 at 04:19 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

Jerry Lawler constantly mentions how he Never been a world champion, I dont see him saying "Oh Well i was AWA champion". No cause its not a title anyone considers, back when Lawler held it it was actually beneath the USWA World Title.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.