View RSS Feed

kingez77

My Two-Cents on the John Cena Situation

Rate this Entry
Unknown-5.jpeg
This is a sort of response to the "column" on the main headlines page the other day regarding John Cena.

Monday night on Raw, John Cena revealed to the world what most of us knew: he was injured, and would need to take time off. What we didn't know was how much time he would need to take off. Turns out he'll be out 4-6 months which puts his return around the Royal Rumble. Many speculate he'll be a "surprise" entrant which is probably the route the WWE will take. BUT, as my man
Timothy Tazo C Collins
has been saying, beware the swerve! If WWE wants to shock us all, they should have Cena come back all triumphant and angelic like he has been since 2005, saving the top face (Bryan or Punk) from an attack by Orton and HHH (or whoever the top heel/s are at the time) only to turn on the faces and join the heels, debuting a "new" heel persona in which instead of accepting and acknowledging the hate he receives, he loathes it and admits it eats him alive. Instead of "thugonomics" Cena we get an entirely new, bitter, pissed off Corporate Cena. Everyone says he's a kiss ass, why not prove it. Only problem with that is Cena will probably get cheered if he did that, but whatever a character change is what most everyone wants for him. Time will tell. Personally, I want to see him not be at the top anymore.
Unknown-6.jpeg

Think about it-Cena has been on top of the mountain since 2005. He's won the majority of his matches since then and has main evented virtually every pay-per-view since then. Yes, he's missed some and yes he hasn't main evented some and yes he hasn't been champ the entire time. But he might as well have been. 8 years, Cena has been the face of the company. 8 years he has been king of the hill. That's more than The Rock, Stone Cold, HBK, HHH, and Undertaker COMBINED. Rock and Stone Cold were on top for a good 4 or 5 years, HBK/HHH/Taker 3 combined. Yeah, HHH was a multi-time champ, but he won and lost it quite a but. Point is, these men rotated at the top and their time passed. They still were main players when they weren't in the complete spotlight, but that's the point: they weren't always the SOLE FOCAL POINT of the program. Cena has been in the complete spotlight for 8 years. He has been the focal point for 8 years, regardless if he was champ or not. This brings me to what happened Monday on Raw when he announced he would be gone for a while.

Unknown.jpeg
As soon as he announced it, people cheered and starting chanting "Cena Sucks" in unison. Why? Usually, when someone who dedicates themselves to the WWE announces they have to leave, even if they're heel, the crowd is disappointed because a great performer has to be sidelined. Not Cena. His absence announcement was met with absolute elation from the crowd because the majority feels the way I do, albeit for different reasons (if you read the comment boards and talk to all the Cena haters, you know why they hate Cena). I don't care about his 5 moves of doom. I find Cena to be good in the ring and on the mic. Not great, but good. Never mind the fact he flat out lied Monday when he said he has the same dedication to the fans as Daniel Bryan (Cena flat out said if he was gone from WWE he'd quit wrestling, Bryan among others would go back to the independent scene) or his "putting Daniel Bryan over" (come on, you really think he would've done that if he wasn't injured). He can be entertaining. He is a top dog in WWE. Nobody gets the type of reaction he gets, for better or worse. He has a connection with the fans, no doubt about it. I don't give a damn about his charity work because everyone else does it too, not just Cena. He grants more wishes than anyone, but that's because WWE kept him at the top without changing him (aside from the color of his shirts and shorts), so of course kids want to see him above others. But every other WWE superstar and Diva does charity work and grants wishes. But he is stale. He's boring. It's, to quote numerous audiences, the "same old shit" when it comes to Cena. Every other top superstar has changed their character or attitude throughout their duration at the top. Not Cena. Not really. He's just gotten more cheesy and corny over the years. It's not his fault really (unless he's the one that doesn't want to change, then its entirely his fault) its the WWE's fault for not building another top star and keeping people interested. Last year, the only other person that could've filled the Cena void in their current position was CM Punk. Because of everything else going on, Punk was the only person capable. Orton was a boring ass face, BIg Show was boring, Ziggler wasn't ready, nobody else on the roster was interesting enough or involved in anything of importance to be able to take over if Cena got hurt. So WWE is lucky Cena got hurt when he did this year, because they're in a much better place than they were last year. Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, the Shield, Wyatt family, and a heel Orton plus the McMahon family are ready to fill the void of Cena. Which speaks volumes to Cena, but also speaks volumes about the lack of development in WWE.
images-9.jpeg

The talent is there. WWE has numerous talents that can be main eventers and keep us entertained and put on great matches. They're scared to pull the trigger on these guys though, for whatever reason. This is why Cena posted that picture on Instagram in my opinion about change ahead: Other talent finally have an opportunity to step up and get some spotlight. That's why people cheered the fact that Cena will be out 4-6 months. And that's why I'm happy Cena will be gone-others now get a shot. WWE has a chance to build its mid-card, and build new main event stars. When Cena comes back, he needs to change something. Music, clothes, attitude, something. Mainly his attitude. If he comes back the same old super Cena, things will regress. If he comes back and others have been built in his absence and they keep their spots, and Cena has changed something, the WWE can continue to progress. Hopefully they don't screw up this opportunity they have. Cena, your time is up, their time is now.

Submit "My Two-Cents on the John Cena Situation" to Digg Submit "My Two-Cents on the John Cena Situation" to del.icio.us Submit "My Two-Cents on the John Cena Situation" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Two-Cents on the John Cena Situation" to Google

Tags: john cena
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    if the pictures don't work I apologize.
    Good blog but this wouldn't be a regular heel turn. This would probably one-up Hogan's turn for the biggest of all time, kids will literally be crying all over the place. I'd love it personally, but would bet against it.
    The question is can they carry merch sales, PPV buys and ratings. If all those fall, expect the title back on Super-Cena by Mania.
    I find it funny how people talk about Cena being tired and doing the same old shit but write the same blogs over and over and have the same excuses word for word that I have been seeing for the last 8 years.

Cena needs to turn Heel

Cena never changes his character

Cena is holding guys down

Im begging for a original blog or argument against Cena. I'm not arguing against it the IWC's complaints on Cena, I'am just tired of it being the same argument and worded the exact same way and people think they are writing something original and not saying something that has been said literally a million times before.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    I find it funny how people talk about Cena being tired and doing the same old shit but write the same blogs over and over and have the same excuses word for word that I have been seeing for the last 8 years.

Cena needs to turn Heel

Cena never changes his character

Cena is holding guys down

Im begging for a original blog or argument against Cena. I'm not arguing against it the IWC's complaints on Cena, I'am just tired of it being the same argument and worded the exact same way and people think they are writing something original and not saying something that has been said literally a million times before.
    i understand what you're saying and I'm a little bias because I wrote this but I thought this was original. Just stating how this is an opportunity. Cena has been the same and on top for 8 years. Can't argue facts. Idc if he turns heel I just want something to change about him and have him not be the focus of the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by niafv1
    The question is can they carry merch sales, PPV buys and ratings. If all those fall, expect the title back on Super-Cena by Mania.

i agree but the only way to find out is try. Build guys and try. If it fails go back to old reliable in Cena and put up with the reactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    Good blog but this wouldn't be a regular heel turn. This would probably one-up Hogan's turn for the biggest of all time, kids will literally be crying all over the place. I'd love it personally, but would bet against it.

Very true. But the heel turn wad a small part of what I'm saying. I want something to change, doesn't have to be a heel turn. He could take a step back or do a different role other than be the dole top dog like begin building younger talent. They have an opportunity for change and I hope they take it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.