View RSS Feed

JoeyA

Unofficial Review of Smackdown vs RAW 2011

Rate this Entry
The game is out for a few days out and I'm sure countless people are going crazy playing it after school or after work, etc. Some (probably most) are loving it to pieces while others are probably disappointed. Count me in on the latter.

I got the PS3 version. The control system is changed, where as now the circle button is to pin, to pick the man up is moving up the right analog stick, and L2 is to drag. Ok, not too difficult to get used after a day or so of playing it.

This is (to me) the biggest let down. You can no longer do title matches of your choosing on exhibition mode!!! Someone explain to me why!? I have chosen every champion in the game, select them, and when I hit the square button for 'Advanced' all it asks for is the alternate attire or to add a manager. Nowhere to choose to put the title on the line. If you want to play a championship match, you must play the WWE Universe mode (remember 'Career mode' in the very first Smackdown game for the first Playstation?), get to the PPV and play the championship match the game gives you! If you try to change the participants, you certainly can but it immediately becomes a regular non-title match. I have to admit, I was PISSED about this... If want to make a title match of Sheamus vs Santino and put the WWE Title on the line, I want to f'n do it! In this game, I can't.

The other big let down to me was the Tag Team Champions entrance to the arena: They will NOT come out together! Doesn't matter if you have them set up as a team (game forces you to do that anyway), and if you set their entrance to come out together. As long as they're not tag team champions, every team will come out as you set them up to come out. The moment they become Tag Champions in the game, they will no longer do it. They will come out separate... and in the case of (for example) The Hart Dynasty, it looks retarded!!! Both come out separately with the same music, the same video and you hear the announcer say "representing The Hart Dynasty"... someone really dropped the ball on this one! But as disappointing as this was, it was not surprising as WWE can't care less about Tag Team wrestling anymore anyway.

Road to WrestleMania is definitely different. You walk around backstage, going to different rooms, building attributes by going to the Training Room. I finished Undertaker's last night and it was amusing. I started John Cena's but I went to bed instead. This mode so far is not too bad but didn't rock my world.

Everything else I've tried (Ladder Match, Tables Match, etc) has been an ok somewhat of an improvement in the gameplay I will admit. Graphics are good but the hair on the wrestlers with long hair does look worse than last games.

Overall the game is okay, I guess... don't know that it's worth $60, and this old fan is certainly not happy about the exhibition title matches being gone and tag team champions not coming out together, being that I've always been a huge tag team wrestling fan.

So for a 2-day review I'd have to say that it was a bit of a letdown. Next year I'm renting it first before I spend $60 on it only to be let down again.

What do you guys think? I'll welcome open criticism but I'll ask to be human adults about it... childish name calling and berating will get deleted.

Submit "Unofficial Review of Smackdown vs RAW 2011" to Digg Submit "Unofficial Review of Smackdown vs RAW 2011" to del.icio.us Submit "Unofficial Review of Smackdown vs RAW 2011" to StumbleUpon Submit "Unofficial Review of Smackdown vs RAW 2011" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i really enjoy it, means you have to earn the title shot, okay you cant do the amazing 6 man hell in a cell title match; although are you able to change the match in the match creator and keep it a title match?
    I'm sure some will like it like you do, macstar77... I have a few friends who absolutely love it that way (I gave them a hard time too lol). And I tried using the match creator as well. You can choose about everything for the match, except keeping it title match.

Quote Originally Posted by macstar77
    i really enjoy it, means you have to earn the title shot, okay you cant do the amazing 6 man hell in a cell title match; although are you able to change the match in the match creator and keep it a title match?
    Hi I finally opened mine and bought everything on the game except Bret Hart and that leads to another question about this game does anyone know how to unlock Bret?
    I heard you can download something to get infinite attritube points
    Can someone clear that up to me?
    This is what Universe mode is for! As in WWE you have to earn a title shot and get a chance at the belt, making good rivalrys and storylines along the way! Best SVR I have played in ages!

The new money in the bank matches are awesome, leaning ladders on the ropes and bodies crashing through tables from the tops of ladders is brilliant!
    i bought the all the unlockables in the shop but everything is still locked wtf?
    Yes I am on the same page with the no title matches in exhibition. I miss that.
    WWE Universe is kind of lame. You can't change match participants because you don't get the unlockables if you do. Stick with the card the CPU gives you and the unlockable wrestlers show up after match is completed. Which means to me you can't really create and build rivialries. Plus, watch out for tag teams cuz if you put tag partners in separate singles matches, they will move in rankings for singles titles whether they win or lose.
    Road to Wrestlemania is kinda lame but I hafta like it and go through all of them because I wanna unlock the legends.
    And tag team champions. Problem because tag members come to ring separately when holding belts. When not holding belts is the only time teams enter as a team.
    However, ladder matches are so much easier to work because now you ain't gotta stand on top of ladder for 10-15 minutes waiting for that red metter to slowly trickle down. It takes less than a minute now to get anything down.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.