View RSS Feed

kingez77

Here is Why Mark Henry Gets a Title Reign

Rate this Entry

Ladies and gentleman, your new World Heavyweight Champion, Mark Henry.

Why give him a title run right now? He's past his prime, right? He can't handle the number one spot. He has no mic skills. He didn't work for where he's at. He can't get over with the fans.

BULL. SHIT.

Mark Henry definitely deserves this title run. It may be a little overdue, I personally believe that he should have won the title in 06 from either Angle or Mysterio, but WWE had other plans for him (as they seemingly always did, or didn't ever know what to do with him) and then he got injured unfortunately. That has been a common theme for his career, not to the extent of some, but he has been injured a good bit which may have played into the reason he had been held back for so long. But not anymore. It's Mark Henry's time, and we're all in for a tour of the Hall of Pain.

But before we get into why it makes sense right now, let's explore why he deserves the title in the first place.

Now I'm not going to give you a rundown of Henry's career, you can wikipedia that if you want. But I will touch on a few aspects of his career that in my mind explain why he deserves the title. He was a member of the Nation of Domination. A very underrated stable in my mind, and one that should be counted as one of the greatest stables of all time. They had a tremendous feud with DX. From the NOD, The Rock, Ron Simmons, Godfather, and even D'Lo for a while all went on to have successful singles/tag team careers (obviously some more successful than others). In my mind, Mark Henry got the short end of the stick here. We all know what the Rock went on to do. Ron formed the APA with JBL (Acolytes initially). D'Lo won numerous midcard titles when they actually meant something. And what did they do with Mark henry? Turn him into a sex addict and made him have a baby hand with Mae Young. Why? The wrestling world will never know. But Henry should have been given more sooner. Here's a video of an early match he had with The Rock. It basically supports everything I'm going to talk about in regards to his ability.

Henry has great in ring skills for a big man with a powerlifting background. Most everyone forgets that he was trained by Bret and Stu Hart. He doesnt have the agility that other big men (Umaga) had, but he does possess great strength (he was the strongest man in the world at one point, now its just a gimmick) and surprisingly good in ring ability. His mic work actually isn't that bad. He's just been limited by his big man moniker over the years. WWE wants big men to be big men, nothing else. They're either dominant, or "funny" as evidenced by Big Show, Khali, and Mark Henry. Mark was a public figure for WWE when he was injured in the early 2000s as well, another thing a lot of people forget. He was on the verge of breaking out of his sexual chocolate/jobber status, then he got injured.

When he returned as the world's strongest man, everything looked up. Then it went down. And then up. And then back down. He won the ECW heavyweight title and was pushed before that against Angle and Taker, but he never fulfilled his potential. He never finished that big push. And that's hurt him. BUt at the same time, it has helped him. Its helped him get where he is today. And its helped him finally show what he can do. His domination shtick is something we've seen before, but it always ended abruptly. This time, lets hope it sticks for a bit and he breaks free of the stranglehold he's been in by the WWE.

Now, why does he deserve the title right now? For one, his character is spot on. He's never been better, never been more into being the world's strongest man. He's on fire, and it shows, especially in his post match interview at NOC. He's worked his ass off for 15 years to get to this spot, and he deserves it. Now I know there are people who disagree which is perfectly fine, and there are people who will say others deserve a title who haven't gotten it (which they are right, especially guys like Regal and Jerry Lawler) but they're not where Mark Henry is right now. He's embracing the opportunity like never before. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, so I don't know how Regal is or isn't embracing his opportunity. But WWE isn't giving him anything to work with, but they are with Henry. Regal should've won the title when he was king of the ring (which, so should Mark Henry when he won, but apparently KOTR doesn't mean anything like it used to). So, Mark has earned it, built up nicely, and now he is a breath of fresh air even though he's been in the business 15 years (all with WWE).

Face it-Orton was dangerously close to crossing in to Cena territory. He almost put over Christian, but he got the belt back way to quick. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with Henry. I don't think it will, and I think this gives Cody Rhodes an opportunity to shine. He can feud with Orton now that he isn't the champ. Henry has been built as a dominant heel, more dominant than in the past. I think they're gonna keep his momentum. Now they have options as to who he should feud with next. They can really use Henry to push young talent like Ted DiBiase and Sheamus. My guess is Sheamus steps up to the plate next. But Henry makes sense as a dominant veteran to use who can put guys over. I could go on and on, but that's the gist. I look forward to reading comments. Give me your thoughts, and Let me know if you agree or disagree, and why. And don't hold back.

Submit "Here is Why Mark Henry Gets a Title Reign" to Digg Submit "Here is Why Mark Henry Gets a Title Reign" to del.icio.us Submit "Here is Why Mark Henry Gets a Title Reign" to StumbleUpon Submit "Here is Why Mark Henry Gets a Title Reign" to Google

Updated 09-21-2011 at 12:47 AM by Frank

Tags: mark henry
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    orton almost put cristian over???? cristian has been "over" for years
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    You said it best when you said.

Henery is decent on the mic and ok in the ring for a big man.

Those are true but Decent and ok shouldnt = Champion.

Henery has been in the company 15 years and was rewarded. He didnt really deserve it, he just was rewarded.....
    Mark Henry has improved greatly since his NOD days, But he didnt deserve a Title and in the proceses Destroying Randy Orton who spent the last year humlating Christian and CM Punk and the rest of the SmackDown roster.....
    Henry has improved and worked very hard but that doesnt always = World campion... Sorry but Bob Holly had 10 times the Talent Henry had and he was in the company for a long period of time and he didnt get a Championship run nor did he deserve one...Its just fans are so eager for something new that they are willing to accept Mark Henry has a World Champion. He is so limited in the ring and can not have a medicore match past 10 mins. His mic Skills are decent, he has a dominate scary presence about him but lets face it, his move set is a joke. World Strongest Slam? ist a terrible finish, He does a few slams in the Before his Finsher and throw in a bear hug, you got a Mark Henry match.

I'm disapointed in them taking the title off Orton and putting it on Henry, I think they were plenty of other guys th deserved it more.

By the way your GF in the pic is very pretty.... Well written Blog, make good points buit doesnt really explain Why Henry Deserves to be World Champion.
    Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. And thanks for the compliment for my ladyfriend, she is extremely beautiful, and she's actually my fiancee, we're getting married pretty soon actually. On to the comment. I probably didn't do a good enough job of explaining why he deserves a title reign as I could have, but I feel like I did an adequate job. When I said he's ok and decent on the mic and in the ring, I meant in regards to what he's been allowed to do. He's been limited by the big man gimmick. His mic work has been spot on, same with his character. I think his moveset is perfect for him, just like Big Shows is perfect for him. Like the Big Show has the Chokeslam and Knockout Punch due to his size and strength, Henry has the World's Strongest Slam, Big Splash, and the Bearhug due to his size and strength. If he was taller, he'd have a different moveset. For his height and size, his moveset is well suited for him and he executes it very well. The reasons his matches don't go long aren't due to his skill, but his size. The longer his matches go, more injury risk especially given how he's been injury prone. Not an excuse for some of his horrendous matches, granted, but its a combination of what he's done in the past and what he's doing now, and that is why he deserves this title run.
    Quote Originally Posted by the great Steef
    orton almost put cristian over???? cristian has been "over" for years
    The only reason WWE allowed Christian a chance at the WWE title is because Edge retired. Probably just like Henry won due to Kane and Big Show being injured. Right place right time, but they both definitely deserve/d their title runs. Christian has been over for years, yes, but he never reached the status of Orton or Cena, which he has the potential to. Had he beaten Orton for the title clean, or won it back, or held it longer, I feel Christian could've made it to Orton and Edge's level. He has the potential, but WWE won't let him reach it for some reason. Just like Henry does. WWE pulled the plug too early with Christian IMO and I hope they don't do it with Henry.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingez77
    Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. And thanks for the compliment for my ladyfriend, she is extremely beautiful, and she's actually my fiancee, we're getting married pretty soon actually. On to the comment. I probably didn't do a good enough job of explaining why he deserves a title reign as I could have, but I feel like I did an adequate job. When I said he's ok and decent on the mic and in the ring, I meant in regards to what he's been allowed to do. He's been limited by the big man gimmick. His mic work has been spot on, same with his character. I think his moveset is perfect for him, just like Big Shows is perfect for him. Like the Big Show has the Chokeslam and Knockout Punch due to his size and strength, Henry has the World's Strongest Slam, Big Splash, and the Bearhug due to his size and strength. If he was taller, he'd have a different moveset. For his height and size, his moveset is well suited for him and he executes it very well. The reasons his matches don't go long aren't due to his skill, but his size. The longer his matches go, more injury risk especially given how he's been injury prone. Not an excuse for some of his horrendous matches, granted, but its a combination of what he's done in the past and what he's doing now, and that is why he deserves this title run.
    I disagree, I think you did a Good Job Explaining why Henry Deserves to be champion, its just the actual credentials Henry has is the problem.... you were right about most your stuff, its just simple that Henry didnt have the talent.... Great Gimmick, plays it well but its meant for upper mid card I think.... Henry has the Size of many of the great Big men in Wrestling such as Bam Bam Bigelow and the The "Great" Vader, being 6'6 and under gives you a chance to do 2 sets of styles, a big man and a med size man. Henry should have a more aggresive style and he could move much better in the ring at his size, but he is very slugish.... I'm just not a Henry in the main event fan... the IWC likes to jump on a band wagon quick. Like R Truth, they were people begging for the WWE to get reid of him, then after he does a few promos they like, the IWC is hammering for him to be Champion. Same Goes for Zack Ryder.

And Good luck she is beautiful.
    Updated 09-22-2011 at 01:28 AM by THE_CRIPPLER
    Mark Henry is getting the push now because:

1. With Kane, Big Show, and the Undertaker out, the WWE lacks any legitimate scary big men. And we all know Vince loves big wrestlers.

2. It's race marketing. The WWE needed more legitimate black wrestlers. Hence, why Mark Henry and R-Truth have been given pushes lately. This is no different than how the WWE pushes Latino wrestlers to target the Latino market: Rey Mysterio, Del Rio, and now Sin Cara.
    Quote Originally Posted by squarecircle
    Mark Henry is getting the push now because:

1. With Kane, Big Show, and the Undertaker out, the WWE lacks any legitimate scary big men. And we all know Vince loves big wrestlers.

2. It's race marketing. The WWE needed more legitimate black wrestlers. Hence, why Mark Henry and R-Truth have been given pushes lately. This is no different than how the WWE pushes Latino wrestlers to target the Latino market: Rey Mysterio, Del Rio, and now Sin Cara.
    I don't disagree at all. Right place, Right time. However, I think a lot of people discount the fact of how good he actually is, which is why I wrote this blog to get people to think about how and why he deserves this Title Reign.
    I totally agree with the blog. WWE has actually done a great job of building the current Mark Henry character. They seem to be have that ability lately to come up with a good idea but almost every time they screw it up. Their main problem is they try to do too much too fast and burn out the story line before it has a chance to really work.

They need to keep it going now. I believe Henry needs to hold the belt until Wrestlemania. They need to make him look unbeatable.
    Why?........Because they need someone to go up against Undertaker at Wrestlemania.
    Yes, I would begin that feud now, by continuing to build up Henry as a monster.
    I would have him feud with Kane after he returns, and once again take him out.
    That would then set up the UT return to revenge his brother's demise.
    At least a month or 2 of UT vs Henry promo.......
    They need to make use of Mark Henry after building him up, what better way than to make him into a worthy opponent for UT.
    Who else is left to make the Undertaker wrestlemania match even a question, as to who is going to win?
    I say they start now on working toward that match. The long 4-6 month programs is what made the WWE so fun to watch in the 90's
    How long did that Macho Man vs Ricky The Dragon feud go on?
    Thats what I believe we are currently lacking in the WWE.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.