View RSS Feed

Brett1N

Help Me Solve my TNA Mysteries

Rate this Entry
Let me get this out of the way: I'm a WWE guy. Always have been. Which is what leads me to having a multitude of questions about TNA. I've followed the product enough over the years to gain some sort of knowledge about what's going on over at TNA but I'm not what some would call "die hard."

There was a point where I did follow TNA for few months. Of course, I still remained loyal to the WWE but I wanted to "cross the line" before crossing the line was cool.

(Time-out: I'm still completely baffled about this slogan. The clear inference is that TNA wants the WWE viewers. Duh. But I can't ever remember when crossing the line was beneficial to me in any part of life. But hey, whatever works for them, right?)

Anyway, back to my brief stint as a TNA'er. It was 2005 and the only thing that gave me any interest in the show at all was Jeff Hardy. He was one of my favorites in the WWF/E and was always entertaining to watch. I even ordered the TNA Jeff Hardy DVD and almost bought a t-shirt, but resisted the urge. I did, however, order TNA Bound for Glory '05 and from what I can remember, it was a pretty good show. What I recall most from that pay-per-view was the Monster's Ball Match between Rhyno, Abyss, Sabu and Jeff Hardy. Entertaining match, but a horrible plot. I refuse to believe those four were held captive without any food or water for 24 hours. Unbelievable claim by TNA.

After that pay-per-view, I kept following it for a few more weeks before it just faded out of my weekly television watching. However, I would tune in every now and again to see who were the champions, which former WWE employee(s) had jumped ship, which misfit NFL player that was suspended for a season decided to join TNA and go on to the win the tag-team championship or to see if TNA had finally moved out of the "iMPACT Zone," or better known as a soundstage in Universal Studios.

But then about a year ago, rumors began swirling about Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan joining TNA. I will admit, I was semi-shocked. Not surprised that former WWE employees want to destroy the evil man that once signed their paychecks.

Once it was official that Hogan and Bischoff were with TNA, I became intrigued again. I was anxious to see how they were gonna play it. We all know what Bischoff and Hogan did in WCW and, for a short period of time, was successful. And then TNA put on its big boy underwear and decided to go head-to-head with RAW. A mega, three-hour special that celebrates the new era in TNA. So what does Vince do? He appoints Bret Hart as the guest host of RAW the same night TNA challenges them. Brilliant.

(For those of you who watched both RAW and iMPACT that night, did anyone else pick up on what TNA did? They sent out Hulk Hogan to make his first TNA appearance at 9 p.m., just in time to try and spoil the beginning of RAW. Classic move, but didn't work. Sorry.)

Which leads me to my first question: Why did TNA think that a 1.5 rating would be enough to consistently go head-to-head on a weekly basis?

That grand plan folded faster than the XFL — which is quite the feat. Now, TNA is back on Thursdays with not only iMPACT but Reaction, whose cameras shoot with the same suaveness as the Blair Witch Project. Next, TNA was on a mission to get everyone that once for WWE and hire them. Tazz, Mick Foley, Jeff Hardy (again), Ric Flair (this especially pissed me off because I attended the 2008 Hall of Fame in Orlando and went to WrestleMania XXIV and saw wrestle his "last" match against Shawn Michaels), Val Venis, Rob Van Dam, etc.

Leading to my second question: Why did TNA insist on bringing in old guys instead of developing new ones?

I turned on iMPACT last Thursday and saw a bloody, saggy Ric Flair facing Mick Foley who's never looked like an athlete. And I started thinking that I'm currently watching two guys whose combined age is 106. I was also thinking about my third question: Why is TNA still broadcasting out of a soundstage in Orlando? (It literally felt like I was watching WCW Pro Wrestling, where the ring spun in circles during the wrestler's entrances. That was always fun.)

Here are two more questions to round it out to an even five:

4. Why is Jeremy Borash the ring announcer? He was easily the most annoying kid in high school.

5. Why did TNA decide to put the title on Jeff Hardy? Sounds like a perfect fit to lead the company, considering he was running a pharmacy out of his basement and got caught. Way to go.

So please, if anyone who reads this has any of these answers for, I would love to read them. I'm not trying to dog TNA, but there some things that confuse me (see above). Thanks for reading.

Submit "Help Me Solve my TNA Mysteries" to Digg Submit "Help Me Solve my TNA Mysteries" to del.icio.us Submit "Help Me Solve my TNA Mysteries" to StumbleUpon Submit "Help Me Solve my TNA Mysteries" to Google

Updated 10-15-2010 at 09:13 AM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Your mistery is simply solved by the fact that you're a mark. You don't know how to enjoy both products for what they are cuz you're too focused on being a "wwe guy".
    I kind of agree with Wars but I'll answer your questions with strictly my opinions.

Why did TNA think that a 1.5 rating would be enough to consistently go head-to-head on a weekly basis?
    There's no doubt Hogan and Bischoff in some way "guaranteed" Spike and Dixie that they'd bring in "nWo ratings." I don't think anyone in TNA thought they'd still have the same ratings after Hogan brought Hall and Syxx, the Nasty Boys, Bubba the Douche Sponge and that whole crowd.

Why did TNA insist on bringing in old guys instead of developing new ones?
    TNA did this because of the following the guys bring to the table. I promise you more people will follow Flair to TNA than they would a guy like Jeff Jett from a promotion around where I live. You bring in the nobodies, you get nothing. You bring in the heavy hitters (no matter their age) and you get ratings. But you're right. That plan backfired. Ric Flair stabbed the fans in the back and stabbed Shawn Michaels in the back by lying about retirement. The man is 62 years old and diving through tables. Baffling.
    Why is TNA still broadcasting out of a soundstage in Orlando?
    Because they don't have the fan base to fill an arena..... or a covention center. They move everyone in the place to the side the cameras are facing to make it look like the place is packed.

Why is Jeremy Borash the ring announcer?
    TNA failed the renew the contract with the former WCW ring announcer and Borash took over because they don't need him for interviews anymore. That's because they have your "Blair Witch" cameras.

Why did TNA decide to put the title on Jeff Hardy?
    I can honestly say this is something not a lot of people understand yet. I've watched ECW, WCW, WWF/E and TNA as long as they've been on and I don't know where this storyline is headed. Everyone can speculate but I can promise you, only the insiders know.

I appreciate your questions. I think the more you ask and the more people answer, the more you may understand and want to become a full time fan. You can watch TNA and still be faithful to WWE..... but aren't you getting sick of the PG, Taker vs Kane garbage? Talk about a ship that has sailed!!!!
    Updated 10-15-2010 at 12:56 PM by creativewrestling
    1. if u watch tna from the begining and u knew their history u would see tna is really slowly growing. they went from nwa branch.weekly ppv show to a national tv deal to doing house shows. i meant u cannot compare to wwe cuz wwe has been aroun for over 40 years and it takes time to do anything. thats why tna is happy with the ratings from 1.0-1.5 cuz they started with a .1 so imagine that.

2.ok answer to the second question is simple. U cannot develope talente on national television bcuz people wanna see people they know therefore acquiring wwe talent is the best way to get over.but tna is messin up on giving the wwe guys the spotlight they should b used to put guys over no tburry.u cannot create if people wont watch. simple as that.

3.tna broadcast cuz the theme park pays them to hold tapings there as it is a major attraction. its money they make without the fear of touring and losing money. i am sure they will leave impact zone but not right now. they need a bigger fan base.

4.well the announcer quit for tna as he was burn out. but jeremy aint doing a bad job i dont really mind thats just my opinion.
    5.as far as jeff hardy ithink tna knows something we know the man has been awatiing trial for over a year. really over a year on something so serious i am sure something will happen and he will b fine. and overall jeff hardy is a house hold name in wrestling and lets b real people know jeff hardy more than aj styles.even if imo aj styles is the better wrestler.
    I dont see how you could say youre loyal to any company. my loyalty would be for the wrestlers. i no matter what company they work for, im a fan of what i see in the ring. TNA does some things better than WWE and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativewrestling
    I appreciate your questions. I think the more you ask and the more people answer, the more you may understand and want to become a full time fan. You can watch TNA and still be faithful to WWE..... but aren't you getting sick of the PG, Taker vs Kane garbage? Talk about a ship that has sailed!!!!
    Thanks, creativewrestling. I appreciate you reading and answering. But yeah, the PG is starting to get to me, it's borderline G now. I'm sure I'll try to tune in to iMPACT and might have another batch of questions. I wasn't trying to trash TNA, but some of its tactics confused me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wars
    Your mistery is simply solved by the fact that you're a mark. You don't know how to enjoy both products for what they are cuz you're too focused on being a "wwe guy".
    Thanks for reading, Wars. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, it's "mYstery," for future reference.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.