View RSS Feed

Amerinaine

Go back to Thursdays...or start over on Tuesdays.

Rate this Entry
I remember back in the day when wrestling was introduced on Thursday nights. You had WCW Thunder and WWE Smackdown. I used to watch these just as religiously as I did RAW and Nitro. Thunder died obviously when WCW went under. Smackdown, however lived on. It was on the perfect day, Thursday.

Why was Thursdays perfect? Easy, lack of anything important going on on this particular day during the week. I mean, when was the last time you went, "Thank goodness it's Thursday!" ? Probably when you could view wrestling on Thursday.

Well, as time went on, someone in WWE Headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut decided, "You know what would be great. If we put our product on a day when people want to get out of the house. Let's put it on Friday." So they did. Than I stopped watching Smackdown except occasionally when I had nothing better to do. I went from "I can't wait to watch Smackdown." to "I wish Smackdown was on any day other than Friday."

Than to make things even better, it went from UPN, to CW, to SciFi, to SyFy and maybe one or two others I missed. Now maybe I missed something, but I don't believe there are Unicorns or X-Wings in wrestling. The closest thing to an X-Wing in wrestling is the chicken wing hold. Because of this move, I've only seen Smackdown 2 times since moving to SciFi/SyFy. The latest being the Tuesday show, and I went to Wichita, KS to see that. However, I would have watched it that night on TV if I didn't have my front row tickets.

With all this being said, I'm almost positive they would get more viewers if they switched to Thursday or Tuesday or some innocuous day that doesn't really matter to people. I much rather spend my Friday on a date or going to a movie than watch wrestling. If it were on a Tuesday or a Thursday, I could do my laundry, clean the house or what ever it is boring I do on these days, and enjoy the WWE Superstars and Divas. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy TNA, and since it is on a Thursday, I will watch it religiously since without it, my Thursday would suck.

I'll probably diatribe on TNA at some point next week. But this is my small rant on the whole Friday Night Smackdown.

Submit "Go back to Thursdays...or start over on Tuesdays." to Digg Submit "Go back to Thursdays...or start over on Tuesdays." to del.icio.us Submit "Go back to Thursdays...or start over on Tuesdays." to StumbleUpon Submit "Go back to Thursdays...or start over on Tuesdays." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I 100 percent absolutely agree with you. I have always thought the exact same thing. Thursday was the perfect day for Smackdown just like Monday is the perfect day for Raw. It's the one day other than Tuesday where they wont get a lot of outside competition in terms of other programming or people wanting to leave home. The idiot who decided to switch the show to Fridays should be fired. Seriously. I have no interest in choosing to stay home and watch smackdown on a friday versus go out and enjoy my life.
    I say put it back to Thursday since having it on Tuesday will feel squashed and confusing storyline wise with Raw.Besides it's nice having something for the mid week to watch.
    Another topic for another day, but for a short answer, Tuesday would be acceptable to me, merely because I do watch TNA and I don't wanna channel flip between commercials. Since football season started, I have to do that now on Mondays, and having to do it on a Thursday would suck. I'd do it, but it'd suck.
    Didn't they change in the first place due to loosing viewers to Thursday night football anyway? that may be for only a short time of the year, but the numbers are all the WWE seems to care about...based on that one fact alone, i'd go with Tuesday.... Curious tho, whats preventing it from being on wednesday? can anyone think of anything on TV that night that would rate higher than wrestling?
    Quote Originally Posted by insanefruitman
    Didn't they change in the first place due to loosing viewers to Thursday night football anyway? that may be for only a short time of the year, but the numbers are all the WWE seems to care about...based on that one fact alone, i'd go with Tuesday.... Curious tho, whats preventing it from being on wednesday? can anyone think of anything on TV that night that would rate higher than wrestling?
    Yeah Thursday night football would hurt Smackdown a lot. TNA ratings were a little bit higher when there was no game .
    Great blog and I agree with everything you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by insanefruitman
    Yea Wednesdays could be dangerous. Syfy has a lot of new episodes of their own programming running on Wednesdays, and the UFC typically has their televised events running on Wednesdays which would definitely hurt WWE. There's also a few other stations that typically air shows on Wednesdays a lot all of which could eat away at WWE ratings, but I think the two biggest factors are Syfy and UFC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.