View RSS Feed

Brett1N

The WWE Championship gets around

Rate this Entry
This is my first blog post on the eWrestlingNews website. I saw a post where a site administrator wanted more bloggers, so I decided to help. I would like to post once or twice a week and I'm hoping my columns will generate some sort of conversation, whether it be good or bad.

Does anyone remember the New Generation era in WWE? It was during the mid-1990s, the last time the WWE would be considered PG before it branched out to the Attitude Era.

There were four championships back then: the WWE Championship, the Intercontinental Championship, the Tag-Team Championship, and the Women's Championship. Each one was meaningful. And back then, it seemed like championships meant much more. It was rare to see titles change hands more than the Washington Redskins change head coaches. But in the past year, think about how many times the WWE Championship has been won and lost. Since June 2009, the title changed hands on ten different occasions. TEN! To describe that in one word: cockamamie.

In the same 16-month span in 1996, the title changed hands only six times. And Shawn Michaels' "lost my smile" speech happened during that period which forced a title change. To be fair, Batista tore his triceps at Extreme Rules 2009 which also required a change, but you see the difference.

Another example: including Ric Flair's WWE Championship win at the 1992 Royal Rumble, the title changed hands 20 times from the 1992 Royal Rumble until Stone Cold Steve Austin won it at WrestleMania XIV in 1998. Since John Cena was forced to relinquish the title when he tore his pectoral in October 2007, the title changed holders 21 different times, including Randy Orton's win at Hell in a Cell. That equates to seven changes a year, which is way too many.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see title changes but if it happens too often, it loses some of its flavor. It doesn't feel as special. It's just like a good song on the radio. It debuts and catches fire, but the more the song is played, the more annoying it can become. And after the station plays the song more than the Broncos pass the ball, it sucks. That's what these title changes are like: a good song that is overplayed.

But as I type this, I feel like that song is about to be played again. Now that John Cena has to listen to Wade Barrett and the fact that Barrett has the rest of Nexus in his corner, I feel as if there is no way to preserve Orton's title reign. I hope I'm wrong, but I do understand what the WWE is doing. It needs to get the young guys over and experiment by giving them the title (i.e. Sheamus). Should the title change hands before year's end, it will be the 22nd change in three years which is double the pace during the 1992-1998 period.

Who knows what will happen, but I can only hope that the WWE will rewind clocks and start treating the WWE Championship better. They need to stop handling the title like a one night stand girl. It just isn't as cool if everyone can touch it.

Submit "The WWE Championship gets around" to Digg Submit "The WWE Championship gets around" to del.icio.us Submit "The WWE Championship gets around" to StumbleUpon Submit "The WWE Championship gets around" to Google

Updated 10-11-2010 at 12:47 PM by Brett1N

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

i believe title changes happening too often can stink. but in the wwe world, the world titles change hands to the same main event guys. wwe isnt capatilizing on building up new main event guys when there is so much potential floating around. its almost like finding a needle in a haystack that a new main event guy comes around now. oh and i'm sick of seeing triple h, john cena (especially), sheamus and randy orton gunning for the championship. it's either one of those guys headlining a main event ppv these days. ugh!!!

i believe the new generation era went PG due to all the drug scandals back in '91 & '92 ... but that wasnt as bad as all the wrestling deaths in recent years & other controversy surrounding the circumstances ... blood, swearing, t&a, chairshots, headshots etc wasn't as bad back then as it has become now or the last 2-3 years ... so i don't think its fair to compare the PG programming now to back in the early 90s and the surroundings behind it.

batista winning the wwe championship when he already had a torn tricep only for randy orton to regain the belt was just horse shit. whoever booked that match needs to be shot. orton should have just been given the long title run as he would hold on to the belt for most of 2009.
    Who knows what will happen, but I can only hope that the WWE will rewind clocks and start treating the WWE Championship better. They need to stop handling the title like a one night stand girl. It just isn't as cool if everyone can touch it.
    Amen! I agree 100%!
    I remember when Bruno, Backlund, and Hogan all had multi year reigns. A lot has changed since then. Back then people weren't quite as aware and many people went to 2 or 3 matches a year when they came to town, and didn't watch on tv. A lot of fans then had to ask who was the champion as they only watched on those few times a year. It would take 3-4 months before many fans even knew who the champion was. Nowadays with the internet, people read spoilers and sometimes know results before they are aired (of course much of the info is leaked intentionally to fool people. Everyone knows Kurt won at BFG right?).

The world has sped up with several weekly shows, internet sites, etc. Back then you would have a guy as champ for a year. The average fan would see him as champ maybe 3 times during that time. Now they see him as champ 3 times within 2 weeks of his winning the title. To keep things fresh more common title changes are necessary.

BUT, yeah it has gotten way overboard. I think 2-5 title changes a year should be the limit.

One other factor is the frequent PPVs. It is pretty rare for a PPV not to have at least 1-2 title changes. Some people feel they don't get their money's worth to watch one and have "nothing" happen. This pretty much forces titles to be limited to a 4-6 month maximum, and 1-3 months more likely.
    i agree with u mate, the title loses credability.

ppl like hulk hogan, and austin nd HHH etc were soo dominant coz they had the title for mnths and mnths even years!
    The title lost its credibility when they decided to give Cena the belt and change the WWE championship belt into a childs toy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey81
    The title lost its credibility when they decided to give Cena the belt and change the WWE championship belt into a childs toy!
    Totally agree. The belt needs a makeover, badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freder
    One other factor is the frequent PPVs. It is pretty rare for a PPV not to have at least 1-2 title changes. Some people feel they don't get their money's worth to watch one and have "nothing" happen. This pretty much forces titles to be limited to a 4-6 month maximum, and 1-3 months more likely.
    The pay-per-views definitely affect all the title changes. I feel like going back to monthly pay-per-views is more beneficial to the title and the entire product.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.