View RSS Feed

Rated_PG13

New Interactive Concept: You are the GM of RAW

Rate this Entry
Since it seems apparent (at least to me) that Edge has seemingly done away with the anonymous GM by destroying the laptop 'he' used to communicate 'his' rulings, I think it would be a great time for RAW to introduce a brand new concept that would actually engage the WWE Universe in a way that has never been done before.

The WWE has tried to cultivate the millions of fans they have across the world in a productive way many times over the years. Mr. McMahon giving away millions of dollars, the Cyber Sunday concept, even the recent "You Chose The Matches" night - all decent ideas but nothing that really ever gave the massive Universe a big reason to watch RAW. Since the ratings lately have been pretty lackluster, I see now, six months away from Wrestlemania 27, as a time that could be used to re-energize the base in a unique way that would actually get more people watching and interacting with the show.

WWE - feel free to use this.

YOU - yes you, the WWE fan, would be the GM of Monday Night RAW. You would have the ability to create matches, hire and fire performers (with limitations of course), and basically do anything that any other GM or Commissioner has done before.

The WWE has the capability to set up, through their website, a way for the WWE Universe to run the show in a way that gives them mass control, yet not so much as to completely have the run of the place. Think of the endless possibilities and rewards - you'd have people with a vested interest to watch week after week and visit the WWE site.

Now I'm not talking about some vote where you have three people to choose from in setting up John Cena's opponent for some match on the show. I'm talking about some actual control over what is going on every week. Obviously the WWE brass would still have the majority control and the final say, but why not put a system in place that gives fans the opportunity to really feel like their voice is being heard and engaged in a way that has never really been attempted to before.

This would be sort of like being a team owner in a fantasy sports league, except in this case you'd have a tangible impact on the show itself. TNA, as backwards as they can be at times, actually had a decent idea with the "Top 10 Contenders Poll", but I'm talking about something a little deeper and something that means a little more than just a small vote (where things can easily be manipulated). Again - think of the possibilities. Millions and millions of RAW fans, gathering around their computers every week, managing the RAW roster, making 'decisions', and then watching RAW to see how it all plays out. You could even have interactivity during the show, where during commercials fans are online, making decisions. Fans could gather ideas on skits and sketches, even promos in a limited fashion. There is a lot of untapped creativity out there, and through the internet is a way to capture some of that in a way that can improve the overall quality of the show - as well as the viewership in said show.

I know this is just an outline - I don't pretend to have all the answers. But when faced with the increasing difficulties of being creative and original in this day in age, can it really be that bad of an idea to give the fans a little more control over their favorite show? It's never really been done before, and honestly, can the WWE Universe do as 'uneven' a job as Creative as done lately?

I greatly respect the WWE Creative team and the people that run RAW. It takes an immense amount of talent and dedication to do what these people do. I myself am a writer, director, and producer. I've produced one film and have begun writing several screenplays, and I can tell you from doing small independent productions it's a time consuming and unforgiving-at-times experience. All I am putting forth here is a chance to give us, the loyal WWE fans, a chance to show what kind of an impact we can have, even in today's fast-paced, millions-of-options world.

I'd love to hear your responses. And if the WWE is listening, maybe, just maybe, it's an idea worth considering.

-- Thomas Gidlow, Skyward Cinema

Submit "New Interactive Concept: You are the GM of RAW" to Digg Submit "New Interactive Concept: You are the GM of RAW" to del.icio.us Submit "New Interactive Concept: You are the GM of RAW" to StumbleUpon Submit "New Interactive Concept: You are the GM of RAW" to Google

Updated 10-01-2010 at 11:46 AM by Frank

Tags: raw, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

I've thought about this as well, would be a unique idea, could work. Could spoil the fans even more than they already are. Why.. with fans bitching everytime something doesn't got their way.
    I think this is a good idea because the fans don't have a script, they can do whatever they please. So for example Undertaker could face Nexus in a Hell in a Cell, or Alberto Del Rio can attack the entire RAW locker room, or whats even better is if a fan chose to fire all the inexperienced divas for one night only and they could have a RAW roster VS SmackDown roster brawl with two rings, and both of them are a Barbed Wire Electric Hell in a Cell.
    I think that this would be a good idea as people would be very interested in deciding what they want done in the WWE. Although there may be a couple of problems, one of them being that the younger members of the Universe may stumble upon it, so maybe you have to login in and be a certain age to have your say (increasing the membership from the casual readers of WWE.) Another problem would be new superstars, I dont think many people would have played Drew McIntyre as the chosen one or Alberto Del Rio to be what he is, so there would need to be something done about that, maybe have suggestions on people that can get up to the main roster or something.

I think it is a salivating idea at first, but when you think of the technicalities that go into it, you realise it may not be a solid one, its novelty may wear off, at first your excited that your idea is going through but after a while you get bored of telling WWE what they should do. You may also get out voted on what you want happen to a WWE superstar such as a title shot or something and that will cause upset to some fans and further complaints, saying that the WWE is not listening to them. Or you may get someone that wins the title too many times in such a short space of time or hold onto it for way too long because they are popular.

That is just my rough opinion on the idea.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.