View RSS Feed

Bane of Balin

Alberto Del Rio and his talents

Rate this Entry
I've been watching Alberto Del Rio ever since he came to the WWE. In fact, he came through on a house show loop when he still had the Dos Caras Jr gimmick going for him. It's been said that he is a master backstage politician, and that he has worked his way up enough to deserve the WWE Championship. He succeeded in this goal at Summerslam.

I'm not very impressed with him, and I haven't been for a while.

Now before you misconstrue me into being a "hater", or that I'm "jumping on a bandwagon", I want to say that I think he is a wonderful in ring performer. He has truly shone in matches with Daniel Bryan, Rey Mysterio, and others while he's been in the WWE. He does have a pretty good build, and he doesn't botch very often from what I have seen.

But there are three things that I believe make a wrestler a contender for the main event picture.

1. In Ring skills. Sadly, this one most recently hasn't been utilized to it's full capacity. Cena has been improving in the ring (gasp!) but for a while now until Punk shook up the rut the WWE has been in, he wasn't very three dimensional. Alberto Del Rio has this aspect of the business nailed down pat, but that's only one of three.

2. Mic skills (aka charisma). I haven't seen many Del Rio promos that deviate for the normal track: "My name! Is Alberto Del RIOOO! But you already know that... It is/was my destiny to become WWE Champion, and Rey Mysterio you are a chihuahua." He has good delivery, but it seems to me like most of his heat comes from Ricardo Rodriguez than by anything he has done on the stick.

3. Character development. This is my biggest fault with him. Maybe it's not entirely his fault, either, as (in my opinion) the way he portrays himself seems slightly choppy and he hasn't completely allowed himself to flow with the character. Anyone who ever watched Stone Cold or Roddy Piper or The Rock will understand what I am talking about by becoming the character. It might just be me, but I don't think he has accomplished that just yet.

Now management and creative isn't blameless, either. It seems abrupt to have Del Rio become champion so soon, right after he was beaten by Punk the Raw before Summerslam. It seems like all they are doing is hotshotting him for their Mexico tour in the fall, and I would bet money on the fact that he is the bridge for Cena to get the title back before Wrestlemania.

I have high hopes for him hopefully improving on what he needs to, because it is obvious his work ethic is quite solid. But I just wished they could have had the patience to REALLY build him up for a little bit and make SURE he got mega heat before pulling the trigger on his Championship run.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that you will put some input. Discussion is what this type of blog is all about

Submit "Alberto Del Rio and his talents" to Digg Submit "Alberto Del Rio and his talents" to del.icio.us Submit "Alberto Del Rio and his talents" to StumbleUpon Submit "Alberto Del Rio and his talents" to Google

Updated 08-21-2011 at 09:42 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I thought the same about Miz when he first won the title. He really earned my respect after a good lengthy run though. I really enjoy Del Rio and think he's main event material, just give him a bit of time and maybe he'll grow on you.
    i don't why so many people think he's not talented, or lacks some talent, in the ring. I don't think he's THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER, but i don't think he is untalented in the ring. He's alot more talented in the ring than the Miz, thats for sure! Sure, he seems to be a broken record everytime he gets on the mic, but i actually like his character (and i'm tired of everyone going "WELL, UH, HE'S JUST A MEXICAN JBL") and think he is great in the ring!
    He deserves to be a champion...if any one can be the super heel..I guess it is ADR!!! His In-Ring skills are quite awesome and he can do more than what he's doing now in WWE 9I watchedd few of his older matches and tehy r more than awesome)...I like him on mic too...n his tag "My Name is ADRioooo and you know that"...

The way he carries himself is also awesome..yeah one should not compare him with Stonecold / The Rock....I guess you will start liking him after watching more of him...

He's definitely a greater talent than Miz by any standards..
    I love Del Rio! Although I agree with you about character development, He came, he told us he would conquer, he conquered, but actually I think having him grab the title at this point was genius. They have put CM Punk over in such a convincing way he doesn't need the it, put Del Rio on a good title run now and suddenly the show has 4 major stars - Miz, Punk, Cena and Del Rio.

Him winning clean over Rey Rey was pretty big! I'm a fan of his mic work too, although its based on a similar structure each time there are details that undermine the audience. I think that's where the heat comes, 'And Rey Mysterio, I love Rey Mysterio...', (big cheer), '...I love to BEAT Rey Mysterio', you can see him feed off the crowd and add tease them..

I think he has it! but you already know that!

good blog mate.
    I like ADR's in-ring skills. That match he had with Daniel Bryan on last week's Smackdown was sick! His promo work is great too-he doesn't seem to screw up his lines and really gets into character. However, he does seem to be spouting the same shit that you said above, and that's where I see room for improvement
    Sorry, your rant is invalid after his clinic with Bryan on SD.
    For everyone that are arguing that his in ring skills are good, please re-read my blog and realize that I complimented him on his in ring skills and that he has the in ring aspect down pat. but it's his mic skills and choppiness of his character that I debate. If being good at promo cutting means not stumbling through it then I feel bad for this business. He is "good" at promos, but he isn't GREAT at them like some would say.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.