View RSS Feed

eire attitude 91

Hulk Hogans Legacy

Rate this Entry
How will Hulk Hogan be remembered? His legacy is something I have wondered about recently as the man has received more and more negative press. So much so that it will no doubt have to feature in how he is remembered.

The good of Hulk Hogan is that he was the person the wwf was able to build its company around that allowed them to become a mainstream organisation and grow and grow. The juggernaut that is the WWE we see today would not exist in its current form as it was Hogan who started the ball rolling so to speak. All that we have seen come after it is arguable was only possible as a result of Hogan’s iconic character. On the opposing side is the view that it was Vince McMahon’s vision and that he built the Hogan brand that allowed the mainstream society to buy into his product. This is certainly true however the view that Vince could’ve gotten anyone to play the Hogan role is false as one only has to look at all the people who have tried to play that role and failed i.e. ultimate warrior, John Cena and many more.

The legacy of HH of someone who provided some of the most iconic moments in Wrestling history in picking up Andre the Giant and body slamming him is one of the most famous moments in wwe history. The cultural impact he has had is phenomenal, he became a household name in a far less globalised and media friendly world than today’s. It could be argued also that it was his departure from the WWF to join WCW that started the Monday night wars due to the momentum WCW gained upon his arrival, which in turn led to a period where wrestling was at its most powerful and entertaining time. His role in the NWO gave us a stable and storyline that became so huge that he it ultimately collapsed due to WCW trying to capitalise on it and eventually trying to prolong it beyond its sell buy date in order to cash in. Hogan’s role in TNA though controversial has raised the profile of that company immensely, though it is possible the company would’ve reached this high profile in time, Hogan’s arrival has fast tracked its rise. It is arguable that the problems TNA now face are as a result of this quick rise and the company’s inability to deal with such a rise, meaning that the company may not have been ready for it or Hogan.

The negative aspects of Hogan’s legacy that I believe cannot be ignored are the negative public comments many have had to say about his role in WWF in keeping people down and being a master politician in the locker room. I know that certain people such as the ultimate worker have an axe to grind however there have been too many people over the years to have said this for it to be ignored. Similarly in WCW it could be argued that he played a Huge role in that company’s downfall with his backstage role and creative control that allowed him to have huge influence in the direction of that organisation. The huge contract he was on that had a clause in which he had to be paid higher than anyone who came to WCW which was a huge strain on the finances of that company meaning that anytime they landed a huge star they not only had to factor in the cost of the new star but the cost of Hogan’s rise among others who had similar contracts. The negative aspect of his arrival in TNA is that he is perceived as only being in it for the cash and is terrible at managing the organisation, highlighted by the promotion of his new book rather than TNA when he first arrived there and the perceived decline in the product of the organisation.

The view of Hogan in the media due to his personal problems though arguably irrelevant are important as they have occurred in the public sphere and therefore open to criticism and to be included in the interpretation of his legacy. The accident in which his son nick was involved was a tragic event that gained media coverage due to Hogan’s prominence, however Hogan’s willingness to contribute to the media coverage via interviews means that this is now relevant to public interpretation and debate and therefore taken into account when considering his legacy. In one such interview he referred to the injured party as being responsible for the injuries he sustained for having ‘bad karma’. The break up of his marriage in public along with all the negative aspects of a marriage break up occurring in the spotlight meant that very negative coverage of the man was frequent. Though you might say what has any of this have to do with the mans wrestling legacy it is important to remember that all of this occurring in the spotlight means that it has to be factored into his legacy as the media will include these incidents when considering his legacy.

I hope I have given a balanced view of what is both the positive and negative aspects I believe will be factored into the legacy of Hulk Hogan. Please leave your comments either negative or positive or any corrections you have

Submit "Hulk Hogans Legacy" to Digg Submit "Hulk Hogans Legacy" to del.icio.us Submit "Hulk Hogans Legacy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hulk Hogans Legacy" to Google

Updated 08-11-2011 at 10:22 PM by Frank

Tags: hulk hogan
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by timfeyenoord
    I'm probably gonna get a lot of heat for this, but I never thought Hogan was that good on the mic because I think he makes it sound too fake
    I like Hogan, but the stuff he says in Impact Wrestling is so fake it's unreal, he may as well be reading off the script on camera.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.