View RSS Feed

NiFe628

What WWE is missing

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
I have about 35 hours or so of archived WWE footage on my PS3. I sit in my room, on my computer, and occasionally glancing up at the TV screen to see what match is going on. But, I noticed something today while glancing up. Professional Wrestling (Or Sports Entertainment) is missing something. The ability to translate the story that you are telling onto the big screen.

It was once a wise man by the name of Paul Heyman who told Rey Mysterio and Psychosis in 1995 that they didn’t have a set schedule. He considered both supreme athletes that the ring was their canvas, and their bodies were their paintbrushes. Tell a story. Not just any story, though. Tell one that captivates the crowd. Tell a story that years from now, the fans will still remember every single event, and every single maneuver that was displayed on that very night.

I was watching the “WWE Top 50” DVD, and every one of the men on the countdown had the ability to storytell, not just on the microphone, but with their bodies. There were a few exceptions that I still believe to this day; As anyone else, I too believe that John Cena, Batista, etc…are all bland in the ring, and therefore, is the reason why the fans don’t exactly agree with their maneuvers.

We all know the clichés of Cena; “Women and little kids like him, men hate him…” We’ve heard that since 2007, and we likely will always hear it. The reason why is because he doesn’t put what the same effort in the ring. Sure, he might do a move that catches our attention, but he doesn’t have that one move that can take your breath away in awe. Look at Randy Orton, for example. At first, he was considered “Green.” he had nothing that separated him from the pack. But over the years, he went from the guy in blue and yellow trunks, to the Legend Killer, to The Apex Predator. We’ve seen a true transition, and from my perspective, it all starts with telling the story in the ring. Just knowing that Orton can hit the RKO out of nowhere, and can find a way to do it with style every time is his way of captivating us.

With all of that said, I cannot watch half of the stars on the WWE roster (Including Divas). They’re all the same. All the same heels. All the same faces. But, there are those few who do stick out, and always will. Look at Zack Ryder, for example. A man with all the talent, charisma, and attitude to become a marquee player. It will always blow my mind as to why WWE continues to pass on him. Luckily, they now know what they have, as they’ve beginning giving him a push as Teddy Long’s “Assistant”. It may not be much, but it’s a start.

Whenever a new face comes in, I take a good look at them. Predominantly, I take a good look at their promo skills. What does that individual have that separates him from everyone else who is busting their ass in this business just to make a name for themselves? You have to look at their promo skills, as you can tell if they have that little spark of ingenious that they have to possess if they want to survive.

If I was a judge on Tough Enough, I would’ve had Luke win. From a fans’ perspective, I’m glad that WWE chose Andy. However, if I was in WWE’s shoes, Luke had the “it” factor. The confidence, and the ability to back it up. Usually a star only has one of those. But to see Luke carry himself, and talk smack was a hot combination. Would he be able to tell a story in the WWE? Well, that wouldn’t be up to me. That’s up to WWE themselves.

CM Punk started in WWE riding on the side of a car at Wrestlemania 21 for John Cena’s typical over the top gimmicky entrance. Flash forward to 2011, and he is taking the WWE Universe, Sports Entertainment, and Professional Wrestling by storm. Heel or Face, CM Punk has that rare “it” factor. Punk is the guy who usually wouldn’t be in the main event, or wouldn’t normally hold the title. But, WWE gives it to him because he has that ability to tell a story in the ring. You see him right before he does the GTS, and he makes a pillow-like motion with his hands, signaling that his opponent will be “going to sleep”. That is what I’m talking about in terms of telling a story, aside from the overall pure wrestling ability.

I can tell you a basic John Cena match. His opponent is in control for 80-90 percent of the match, but the last five minutes is pure Cena. He’ll hit the leg drop from the tope rope. He’ll land a few punches. Before you know it, Cena hit’s the Attitude Adjustment, and locks in the STF. That’s not storytelling. That’s predictability. I think what separates Hogan from Cena is that Hogan could sell more than Cena. That said, Hogan was more of a story teller than Cena.

Believe me when I say, I’m not picking on Cena whatsoever. I’m merely using him as an example of a bad story-teller. There definitely are others that come to mind that I’m not going to mention, for the length of this article. Overall, that is what WWE is missing, and desperately needs.

Submit "What WWE is missing" to Digg Submit "What WWE is missing" to del.icio.us Submit "What WWE is missing" to StumbleUpon Submit "What WWE is missing" to Google

Comments

Great post! Hit the nail on the head with that one. Storytelling was so much better and more important 10-20 years ago but for some reason the WWE has forgotten all about it. Just look at a match like Stone Cold vs Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 13, with just the match itself they basically swapped Bret from face to heel and Austin from heel to face. Interestingly enough it looks like that's exactly what happened at MITB with Punk and Cena, hopefully what happends next will follow what happened after WM13, another golden age of wrestling for the WWE. Also wanna mention Hart vs Bulldog at Wembley, I'd like to see 2 guys put on a standing ovation worthy performance like that again, and again i think Punk will be 1 of the 2 guys that's able to pull it off.
    If most were not the same, then nobody would stand out. You cannot have maineventers up and down the card. If you have been watching the product, you would actually see some people fleshing out. Despite me not liking the guy, Del Rio lately has been pushed well. They are getting his armbar over as a serious threat. Mark Henry is standing out right now as a force that is unstopable right now.

Punk has the ability to tell a story, but you gave the worst example of it. You might as well say Warrior was an unparrelled storyteller because he shook the ropes, meaning his move was going to be groundbreaking. Storytelling is when two wrestlers tell a story from the start, middle, to the end. The story can be as simplistic as a heel working over the babyfaces arm and the babyface trying to overcome the odds with a bad arm.
    If most were not the same, then nobody would stand out. You cannot have maineventers up and down the card. If you have been watching the product, you would actually see some people fleshing out. Despite me not liking the guy, Del Rio lately has been pushed well. They are getting his armbar over as a serious threat. Mark Henry is standing out right now as a force that is unstopable right now.

Punk has the ability to tell a story, but you gave the worst example of it. You might as well say Warrior was an unparrelled storyteller because he shook the ropes, meaning his move was going to be groundbreaking. Storytelling is when two wrestlers tell a story from the start, middle, to the end. The story can be as simplistic as a heel working over the babyfaces arm and the babyface trying to overcome the odds with a bad arm.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.