View RSS Feed

Spectroheliographies

Larger Wrestlers = Intimidating?

Rate this Entry
I'll begin with elaborating with what I personally believe is one of the fundamentals of wrestling the gags and looks, now I hate to use the same people as examples but take Jeff Hardy and imagine him without his gag his looks and his high-flying capabilities. Sabu would be more prominent if that was the case if you remember back to when Jeff Hardy was the Intercontinental Champion that suited him BUT did he belong in the main-event scene?

That brings us to my blog, to be honest it isn't a hate blog so I'll need another example, how about... The Undertaker undeniable feel to his character, no-one can doubt his dominance. That came down mainly to his gag, stature, style and looks I don't discredit his in-ring capabilities he was a great performer and definitely an iconic figure in wrestling. Now, could you imagine The Undertaker as a 5'5ft high-flyer no matter how hard I try to I can't imagine it.

Today's wrestling is becoming more and more dependant on the wrestlers that can pull off these high-flying manoeuvres. More-so the smaller wrestlers that are classed as underdogs. Now I'll admit now and again it's entertaining a nice change from all the brutish 6'5 guys that rub lotion on themselves so they sparkle in the ring. However it's not really unexpected if someone like Daniel Bryan, or Rey Mysterio wins a title now although in my opinion they're trying to play them to be the dark horse still it isn't working.

So many possible dominant wrestlers that have what appear to be powerful and painful moves are being over-shadowed. It's like Gene Snitsky said, "And frankly no one believes it anymore. If Miz can kick your ass then the clerk at the store can kick your ass, so please deliver if you say that.." I partially agree with that, I mean they'd push Daniel Bryan who doesn't look intimidating at all to me over people like The Great Khali? I like what they've done with Mark Henry but I can assure you they'll pull back the push to make way for the smaller wrestlers. The prognosis of this blog essentially is that I feel like as more and more of the smaller wrestlers get pushed the less I'm entertained. It's nice now and again but you can't play off Cody Rhodes to be a giant heel wearing a mask and make him dominant it'd of been nice to keep most of them in the mid-cards and rarely put them in to the main-event.

This has changed, let's take Austin Aries for example just signed with TNA Impact! I'd prefer if they kept him within the X-Division for a couple of years rather than throwing their chips in and putting him to main-event status. Because you have wrestlers like Matt Morgan, and Abyss who ARE dominant and do look capable... well apparently Bryan Kendrick can beat Abyss, fair enough it's a spot but there could have been hundreds of different ways to go about it. Push4powerhouses?

Just my opinion really, anyone feel the same?

Submit "Larger Wrestlers = Intimidating?" to Digg Submit "Larger Wrestlers = Intimidating?" to del.icio.us Submit "Larger Wrestlers = Intimidating?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Larger Wrestlers = Intimidating?" to Google

Updated 07-22-2011 at 08:09 AM by Spectroheliographies (Name was edited. Edited to something more suitable and on-topic.)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Larger athletes cannot carry an emotional attachment with the audience..where as smaller athletes can create an emotional impact..When Big Show become the world champion for the first time, everyone was normal..but, when Chris Benoit became the world champion for teh first in WWE..He took over the audience with immense emotion...

A Face should have weaknesses and he should always face troubles from all corners and then, he should over come all those..THEN ppl will like that face..that can happen only if he's a smaller guy...not a giant..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.