View RSS Feed

HarlemHeatseeker

What the WWE Has Done right.

Rate this Entry
Hi guys, 1st time blog here...

Thought I’d jump in at the deep end and chat not about what the WWE is doing wrong (there's far too much competition here for that) but rather the things I feel the WWE have gotten right recently.

Now just to let everyone know, I’ve transitioned (with the odd break here or there) from Hogan, Taker, Savage to Hart, Michaels, Austin to Rock, HHH, Angle through to current Cena, Orton, Mysterio age and throughout these different era's there have been ups and downs.

In the current, PG era, there has been a lot of filler. However as always, the 'E has managed to come up with some great moves over the past while. Now, for your reading pleasure, here are some of my picks:

R-Truth: The recent heel turn performed with The Truth has been a great piece of work. When this guys was 1st in the WWE as K Kwik he was annoying but with mass potential. A stint away from the WWE at TNA (which I confess I don't see) led to R Truth being se-signed to the WWE... and practically given the same gimmick he had when leaving the company. Annoying, boring and stale... THEN came that heel turn!
From this point he has been the most entertaining thing the 'E has done until the whole Punk leaving angle. And whilst I feel he needs a bit of work still (a better finishing move for starters) and that the momentum behind Truth has slowed the entertainment Truth has provided has been excellent!

The Miz: Again, very similar to the above with Truth, The Miz was another wrestler who I found to be annoying and forgettable. When he won last year’s MITB I believed we'd found our 1st cash-ee NOT to win the title. Then he cashed it in. Then he won. Then they turned him into 'The most must-see Superstar in the WWE'. Again I feel the guy needs a little work on his matches but he is the best heel we've seen in a LONG time!
Michael Cole: Before going on to ruin the King/Cole angle with too many fights, Cole’s uber heel persona was spot on. The heat generated at its peak made Cole one of the top heels – and he wasn’t even wrestling!
MITB: For me the creation of this match (not restricted to this era I know) has been a masterstroke. That coupled with the fact that the PPV just gone was actually one of the better ones we’ve had this year ! As for the results – Punk winning and leaving with the WWE Title, Christian finally reclaiming the World Heavyweight Title (I actually loved the whole spitting/DQ angle in that match), plus Alberto Del Rio (not a great surprise) and Daniel Bryan (a huge upset) walking away with the briefcases makes for an interesting up and coming 12 months.

Punk: Whilst this is obvious I can’t really stress enough how much of a pop the WWE deserves what is truly a great angle thus far. Allowing Punk to shine in the manner that they did gained WWE some much needed respect. Coupled with the new direction all this is taking (HHH removing McMahon from power) means that the full scope of this angle has legs and gravitas if handled correctly. Punks return, the possibility of McMahon fighting the injunction… Oh the possibilities!

Lots of work is still required though:
Smackdown! Is seriously lacking at the moment, with Christian & Orton holding the fort majorly (hoping the Sheamus is finally allowed some World Title picture time). I also find the whole Booker/Cole/Mathews commentary very annoying – I love Book but if they feel he’s not working they need to change it pronto.
Tag Team division needs a major overhaul, with separate titles on both programs and backstage any guys currently without an angle needing to be paired and prepped for tag team action (this has worked before – Acolytes, New Age Outlaws, Beer Money, Rock an Sock etc). They also need some actual tag teams too… The Uso’s being the only genuine one isn’t great. Why split up the Harts? Tyson and DH haven’t exactly been tearing it up since the split…
US/Intercontinental Titles need more weight behind them. Not too long ago guys who had this had major credibility and were guys being groomed for potential Heavyweight success – mean guys like Benoit, Edge, Y2J, Booker T, Bret Hart, Mr Perfect, Eddie Guerrero all held these titles at their prime and went on (with the exception of Perfect, which still guts me) to go onto the big strap.
Someone else blogged about the need for a 3rd tier title (apologies for the lack of name check, but can’t find your blog) but I totally agree – with a roster the size of the WWEs both brands could be doing with a title for your Zach Ryder’s (not hating – Woo Woo Woo) and Yoshi Tatsu’s and the like to show what they got on a lesser stage… a this will also help the US/Intercontinental title become more important as stated above.

Thanks for reading folks, please comment with anything ya got…

Submit "What the WWE Has Done right." to Digg Submit "What the WWE Has Done right." to del.icio.us Submit "What the WWE Has Done right." to StumbleUpon Submit "What the WWE Has Done right." to Google

Updated 07-20-2011 at 09:52 AM by Frank

Tags: cm punk, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Unfortunetly R-Truth is stuck on stand by because of Morrison's injury which is a shame. There is so much potential they are wasting with his conspiracy theory. Starting to build Barrett up is a good thing. The whole Punk angle was another. Giving Christian the title is a positive, hope they don't screw him again by giving it back to Orton.
    The miz. Still annoying, still mediocre, and still no creditbility. Should have cashed in and lost. He has been shoved down our throats and the only reason that many have jumped on his lazy style bandwagon is because he targeted Cena. And we know how that goes. Anyone that goes against Cena people start cheering for and jump on their bandwagons.

R Truth. Great heel turn. Little too late though. At least he has talent, but it's the same when it comes to the against Cena bandwagon. He only got 1 shot at the title, and that's a damn shame.

Punk. As soon as he went on commentary and talked about Cena, many jumped on the bandwagon. Not taking anything away from Punk, but facts are facts.

Midcard titles. Too many people not getting a shot and are in limbo. Too many heels and not enough good marketable faces to work with. It's harder being a face than it is being a heel. If no one believes in the face then that person will get nowhere.

They had a 3rd tier title already. The ECW title, and you see how that went. They could bring back the European title for Raw and the Television title for Smackdown, but then people would still complain about there being too many titles.

Tag Teams. I agree here. Tag Teams died out because managers died out for the most part. Bring back MALE managers with feeling, mic skills, and character. I'm wondering who will Kane or Big Show will team up with next to get the tag titles within a year or so.

Alberto Del Rio. By Summer Slam, new WWE champion. Nuff said.

Rey BETTER get the title, not miz. We don't need to see Cena vs miz again, and that would happen if that goofball gets the title again.

Morrison, Sheamus, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan, Drew, Cody, Ted, Wade, Kofi. Show so fire and good character (again for some) to get the croud believing.

Michael Cole. STOP shoving miz down our throats, and no more matches please.

It's not PG that's the problem, it's how lazy the wrestlers are ORDERED to be. Bret Hart and HBK were champion in a PG environment remember, and look at what they gave...
    Unlike some folk I followed the Miz since Real World: Back to New York. I love the fact that the WWE gave him to ball for 6+ months...they built him up nicely. However, there are too many people in the main event right now so if the Miz can't get the WWE title back, let him go after the IC belt. He's already had the United States belt, so no need for him to get that belt again for a while.

I am soooooo tired of Rey. He is the one being shoved down my throat. Ever time I turn around he's in a #1 contender's match...either have he turn heel or retire. He's stale.

I agree with all the R-Truth statements. There is so much he can do, but Jo-Mo is once again holding people's careers back.

Alberto Del Rio. Rammed down everyone's throat. Glad they didn't give him the belt at MITB.

I agree that we don't need Miz vs. Cena again, but I'm still waiting for face turn heel from Cena r Rey...don't want the respect match too many recently.

Other wrestlers that will be fine; Sheamus, Mark Herny, Daniel Bryan (thanks to MITB), Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrent.
    Right on HarlemHeatseeker and right on Greatness. @thetheme some people will never like the Miz, and I accept that. However, he IS a heel. You're technically not supposed to like him. Only problem is, he's really only got Rey Rey and Cena to go up against and most of us are bored to death with them. I guess if they can't build a better babyface it's not very helpful for the Miz to piss you off.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.