View RSS Feed

Wrestling_Deluxe_08

The Importance of Being a Mid-Carder

Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
One of the things I missed about the attitude era is the fact that no matter where you were on the card, you still had as much of a chance to get over with the audience as any of the main eventers. Anyone that is a wrestling fan knows all about people like:

Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, Tazz, Sabu, RVD, Kane, DDP, Randy Savage, Sting, Ted Dibiaise, The Rock, Ultimate Warrior Triple H, Kevin Nash, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Goldberg, Shawn Michaels, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Yokozuna, Bret Hart, and the list goes on.

All these men were main eventers at some point and even held the world championship of their prospective brands. Now let's take a look at another list down below:

Dean Malenko, Disco Inferno, Al Snow, The Godfather, Ultimo Dragon, Jamie Noble, Psychosis, Norman Smiley, Super Crazy, Juventud Guerrera, Alex Wright, Perry Saturn, Rikishi, La Parka, Chris Kanyon, George The Animal Steele, The Road Warriors, Matt Hardy, MVP, Scotty 2 Hotty & Grand Master Sexsay, Mr. Perfect, Scott Hall, Lance Storm, Sean "X-Pac" Waltman, Jake The Snake Roberts, "Road Dogg" & "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn, Rick Steiner, A-Train, Tajiri, Abdullah The Butcher, William Regal, Tito Santana, Greg Valentine, etc.

I'm sure 70% - 100% of the people above are wrestlers you guys remember VERY well. Guess what? None of these men held the world championship once (to my knowledge) and they were hardly presented to us as main eventers. Yet I'm sure someone at THIS moment just went "man I remember that guy" and is currently going to search videos of him on YouTube. Haha. That, my friends, is the point of this blog.

Nowadays, fans want every wrestler they like to be a main eventer. They see someone like Zack Ryder making a name for himself on the internet and next thing we know people want him to be world champion. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that because it is said that a typical wrestler's dream is to be in the main event of a wrestling show. However, not every wrestler is suited to be a main eventer. Granted, everyone will eventually get their shot at being in the main event picture, but the sad fact is -- not everyone is meant to be a main eventer. That is just how it is. My thing is, is that really a bad thing? If Zack Ryder never makes it to the main event scene, does that mean we shouldn't take him seriously? I don't think so.

Why does every wrestler have to be a main eventer to be taken seriously?

I feel the midcards have lost their place with the fans. Nowadays, people act like being in the midcards is a bad thing, especially here in the IWC. I miss the days where it didn't matter if you were a main eventer or not. It didn't matter if you opened up the show, came in somewhere in the middle, or ended the show, as long as you entertained us and gave us good wrestling, we paid our hard earned money to see you. Back then, watching 2Cool do their post-match dance and joining in on the infamous NEW AGE OUTLAWS intro to their matches was just as entertaining as the main event match. Back then, fans were just as interested in seeing Rey Mysterio and Ultimo Dragon at the beginning of the show as they were seeing Goldberg vs. Hulk Hogan at the end of the show. Back then, five minutes of Stacy Keibler stripping and showing her assets made up for the hard earned money it took to buy a seat in the house. Back then, people would go absolutely nuts over a tag team ladder match between Hardy Boyz and E&C and by the time it got to the main event, they were so worn out they could hardly cheer as much. It was not always about the main event back then. Nowadays, it seems to be the only thing people care about. I'm not just talking about the fans either; I'm also talking about the bookers.

Let's start with the fans first. One thing that annoys me about internet smarks, or fans in general, is how quick they are to jump on someone's bandwagon and immediately demand their push to the main event scene. Then when that person doesn't get a push to the top, they either 1) Trash the promotion for not pushing him and just stop watching it or 2) Stop supporting that wrestler. Now whether or not that person deserves to be in the main event or not, why can't we just be happy he is on television set? I'm sure people weren't complaining (too much) when Perry Saturn, Dean Malenko, or Chris Kanyon never got pushed to the main event. Should they have gotten pushed? Maybe, but in reality you didn't really care, because you just wanted to see a good wrestling match involving them. Sadly, that just doesn't seem enough for fans nowadays. They don't just want to see them on TV, oh no. They want to see them main event, win the world title, get major storylines, sell loads of merchandise, get main roles in films, and all that jazz. In short, everyone is looking for the next Rock or John Cena. Here is a dose of reality. NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE JOHN CENA OR THE ROCK! Seriously. Just admire the wrestlers for what they are, who they are, and just appreciate what they can offer. Quit being a critic. Stop taking yourself so seriously and just be a fucking wrestling fan.

Now it’s time we touch on the bookers. I could sit here and blame the fans for being spoiled brats all day, but there is no way I am putting the blame on the fans entirely. Most of the blame falls on the bookers, especially the main stream bookers for WWE and TNA. In TNA (iMPACT WRESTLING), all they fucking care about is showcasing 90s and early 2000s superstars and storylines. Meanwhile, the X-Division and Tag Team Division that made TNA the prominent company it is today has become completely overshadowed and rarely gets featured. If it is featured, it is only to make the 90s and early 2000s superstars look good. In WWE, all THEY care about is showcasing John Cena and Randy Orton. The only way a superstar can possibly get over in WWE is if they somehow got featured in a feud or storyline with Cena or Orton, because God knows WWE hasn't taken the time to make storylines for the Divas, Mid-card, or Tag Team Divisions since.... wow who knows. One thing I can credit ROH on is that it puts effort into the entire show and every division gets featured. Just imagine how amazing main stream wrestling would be if the companies would just take time to put effort into every aspect of their show and not just the aspects THEY cared about.

At the end of the day guys, any wrestler (male or female) that goes out there and puts their body on the line for our entertainment deserves respect and our admiration. It doesn't matter if he opens the show, serves as filler, comes in during the middle, or ends the show, as long as he or she can entertain us and give us a good match, who gives a shit if we ever see that wrestler in the main event? That’s how I feel with people like Zack Ryder and Austin Aries. I know for sure some of them will NEVER be a main eventer or hold a world title. Do I care? No. I just want to see them on my TV and entertain me with their antics and good wrestling. Is that too much to ask for? I don't think so. So many people have shown us you don't have to be a main eventer to be taken seriously. You just have to be entertaining and show us what the art of wrestling is truly about.

Thank you for reading.

Submit "The Importance of Being a Mid-Carder" to Digg Submit "The Importance of Being a Mid-Carder" to del.icio.us Submit "The Importance of Being a Mid-Carder" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Importance of Being a Mid-Carder" to Google

Updated 06-23-2011 at 12:56 PM by Wrestling_Deluxe_08

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This is the best blog I have ever read man. I agree. Not every wrestler is fitted to be main eventers. Some wrestlers are mid-carders at best and others are lucky to escape the mid-card division. I just hope the IWC realizes that not everyone can be World Champs even if they are good wrestlers.

As for the bookers/creative writers, I agree as well. In the WWE, they only care for their main event scene. Thats probably Vince's only worries, the main event scene. I will say that WWE has been improving by signing great wrestlers like Sin Cara and showcasing great talent like Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Dolf Ziggler, Big Zeke, Wader Barrett, Jack Swagger, and Evean Bourne. By the way, remember when the WWE division used to have great storylines OUTSIDE of the main event scene? Yeah, missed those days.
    I agree too. But I think you underestimate the less vocal part of the fans and even IWC. And I think WWTNA Mark is right with the last sentence: they don't really do anything with the lower midcard. There's a complete lack of up and down movement.

Take Sheamus and Jack Swagger for example. Pushed to a great height, then a great drop, they didn't solidify themselves as upper midcarders. What it is that's necessary I don't know, but I'm not only going to blame WWE. If you make the best of it and make the loss look good, you'll get your chance (see Christian).

Sorry, gliding away from the point here. I like what you said. And I like the midcard, both in WWE and TNA.
    I totally agree with you, but the one and only wrestler that doesn't fit or deserve the main-event card is John Cena.
    It's the fact that wrestling isn't as popular as it used to be combined with the way the mid-card belts are traded and the fact there aren't any good stories over them. Also cause there aren't as many good midcarders. There's pretty much not tension at all around the IC or US belts. Neither Dolph nor Kofi can get a great promo off at this point, and the crowd doesn't care about Jackson. Barrett has heat but seems to be starting to slow down.

Here's how myself I would book the titles.

Wade Barrett vs. Justin Gabriel for the IC title. Heath Slater in Gabriel's corner. Slater turns on Gabriel before he wins. Barrett makes nice with Slater. Slater blindsides Barrett with title. Next show Slater comes out and talks about he wanted to help Gabriel get the title off Barrett because Gabriel was easier but comments Gabriel made and the way Gabriel acted changed his mind. Both guys come out and answer Slater. We set up a three way for the next ppv. Slater almost wins. Barrett cheats. Gabriel wins OR loses but wins soon after vs Barrett not Slater. After that Barrett goes up a rung and Slater and Gabriel feud.

Right there you have 3 things you used to have. Fairly well known guys, personal tension, a decent reign.

Dolph and Kofi for the US title. Dolph uses Vickie to put Kofi through some kind of endurance thing. Dolph talks about how Kofi is imperfect and not technically sound like Dolph is. Dolph says Kofi pays too much attention to the fans because he relates to them because they're imperfect like him. Keep playing up Kofi as one of the guys. Make Dolph look like a bastard but a skilled/powerful bastard. Kofi goes through the gauntlet and wins with the help of the fans for once instead of missing his thousandth trouble in paradise. srsly WWE you cannot have that huge a runup to a finisher if it never hits. After that Kofi tries to estrange Dolph and Vickie. It starts to work. Kofi goes up against Dolph and wins clean. Kofi doesn't get the belt for some reason. Kofi wins the title clean after that. Dolph realizes his distance from Vickie hurt him and the two emerge from the feud tighter and on the upswing.
    The mid card is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Everything written, even promos. Not many can sell the written promo to well. When was last time Kofi KIngston pick up the mic and was pissed off that he was cheated or call Dolph Ziggler for a one on one match. The mid carders don't bring attention to themselves. Cody Rhodes and Diabese Jr are the few I can think of off hand. I dis agree with Marx, both Sheamus and Swagger brought alot attention to themselves, but WWE keeps killing their push. Lately I been really impress with Sheamus, but the stopped that push quick. R-Truth is another, I don't think he is a maineventer, but he proved he could hang with them.
    amen...Thank you for this blog
    Constructive blog which made me think twice before posting a blog myself.Great stuff dude!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.