View RSS Feed

The Brown One

The Attitude Era was OVERRATED

Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
You heard me. I think the era proclaimed by many as the "best period in wrestling" was greatly overrated. Now don't get me wrong, I liked the Attitude Era, especially for giving us arguably the two most popular wrestlers of all time: The Rock and Stone Cold, but it wasn't as great as everyone seems to remember it. Heres my reasons as to why the era wasn't as great as people think it is.

Hardcore Wrestling
I just got finished watching the infamous Mankind v Undertaker Hell in a Cell match, and the top comment read as follows: "This was back when there was good wrestling". That made me think the guy who posted it was a bloodthirsty redneck. Not taking anything away from the Hardcore Legend Mick Foley, but the Attitude Era was crammed with hardcore matches, which many fans thought made for great wrestling. It added to the match, but it wasn't wrestling. It was spots and bumps. It also had a downside - it shortened careers and caused injuries. Take for example Edge, who could have probably had a longer career if he didn't put his body through so many dangerous matches. It really disappoints me when people like the WWF mainly for their hardcore wrestling, instead of the wrestling itself.

Title Prestige

Now I've heard several people saying in the last couple of months that the WWE's titles don't have prestige anymore. Bull-f*cking-shit. People seem to remember the Attitude Era's world titles being held by the likes of The Rock, Stone Cold, Kane, The Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H and Chris Jericho. The Attitude Era marks think that the world titles being held by the popular wrestlers above gave the titles prestige, but they seem to forget how quickly the world title changed hands during that time. Remember Kane's 1 day reign? How does that add prestige to the WWF title? It doesn't. Today, we get title reigns of similar length compared to those during the time of the Attitude Era, except with wrestlers that Attitude Era marks deem as "boring" - John Cena, Randy Orton, Sheamus, The Miz etc. But by holding on to the titles for a decent amount of time, they ARE adding prestige to them. Its just that they aren't as popular as the wrestlers of the AA.

The Women
We did get some good matches out of the women back then, but most of the time the women were only around for sex appeal. We had Tori, Trish, Sable and Lita running around in scandalous clothing, having pillow fights and mudpool matches to get the teen guys and horny men off. People complain about the current crop of Divas being unable to wrestle, but the WWF had its fair share of "no-talented" bimbos in the Attitude Era too. Unfortunately the AA fans seem to have a cloudy memory of how crappy the majority of the women wrestled back then, and replace that with memories of matches of Jazz, Trish, Molly Holly and Lita.

Misconceptions
Ever since the "PG Era" came into existence, several WWF fans have been complaining "We're sick of this PG era crap, we want the Attitude Era back!". Well the AA also had its moments of stupidity which fans tend to overlook. Remember when Mae Young gave birth to a hand? The Big Show having pooping problems? Compare that to John Cena saying "I'll kick your butt!" and Hornswoggle running through a wall. Not so different after all, are they? - they are both ridiculous. Many WWE fans complained about having horrible celebrities in the WWE - Snooki, Bob Barker etc. Yet they don't bring up the likes of Mike Tyson and Drew Carey being in the freakin' Royal Rumble!

People claimed that the wrestling in the AA was a 100% better than what Vince McMahon produced gave us after it. But several matches were short, 5 minute matches, with very little wrestling. They relied on run-ins and the use of weapons to make the crowd pop. Thats not wrestling. Wrestling is having matches of DECENT length, with great offence from both wrestlers, and using wrestling moves rather than foreign objects to make a great match. Again, not taking anything away from The Rock, Stone Cold and Triple H, but they weren't the best wrestlers alive. They were great characters, who cut amazing promos, but when I think of wrestling, I think of Chris Jericho, Bryan Danielson and Kurt Angle.

In closing, the Attitude Era appealed to fans because it was produced at a time where swearing, consuming alcohol, scandly-clad women stripping and bloody matches were popular. It was good while it lasted, but times have changed. This isn't 1999 anymore, its over 10 years later, and wrestling has matured. Post your hate, thoughts and opinions below, and thanks for reading.

Submit "The Attitude Era was OVERRATED" to Digg Submit "The Attitude Era was OVERRATED" to del.icio.us Submit "The Attitude Era was OVERRATED" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Attitude Era was OVERRATED" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I wasn't sure whether or not I agreed with what you said at first but I do agree. I think people believe it was so great because it was such a hot period for wrestling. The product was evolving and as a fan it was great to see. That however does not mean the wrestling was great. I'm not saying there wasn't great matches in the Attitude Era either.
    I agree fully Brown! The current roster are much better technically in the ring, it always confuses me when people bash Cena for having so few moves, his ring work is essentially the same as The Rock's (if a little slower), and Stone Cold, though a great character and classic had about 3 moves all in all! lol.

Nice blog
    Keep in mind that I did read this with an open mind bc I was interested to see what points you made but I have to disagree with you. You say that the women were just like the ones today with skimpy clothing and not much wrestling ability. Debra almost never wrestled, she was a manager. The fact is that there were great women's competitors and their move set wasn't nearly as limited as the women of today. And I recently saw a post on EWN that showcased a MAIN EVENT match betweet Lita and Trish on Raw. They MAIN EVENTED Raw dude! Imagine that happening today..it would be a complete disaster. Also the prestige argument I disagree with. Kane's one day reign served the singular purpose of making sure SCSA didn't have this unbeatable feel bc had he kept the title up until he was finally screwed out of it he would have been the champ for 6 straight months and it also helped further the McMahon story line. But the argument for prestige that many AA "marks" make is that the mid-card titles like the IC and US and especially the Tag Team titles were held by great superstars. Don't get me wrong I think Cody Rhodes will be great someday but Otunga and Mcgullicutty. I dont think that's a team ppl will remember but I could be wrong. In the AA era there were great tag teams. Even the worst of em and makeshift teams like X-Pac & Kane where awesome teams. It's like now they slap a team together who has no potential of developing chemistry. I agree with what you opened with bc hardcore wrestling is not wrestling and there were a lot of hardcore matches back then. But there were a lot of good solid wrestling matches too. I could turn on the TV and see D-Lo Brown and Val Venis put on a match with 0 botching and it kept me intrigued for the whole 5-7 minutes. Steve Blackman, Owen Hart(rip), Mark Henry, Jeff Jarrett, Ken Shamrock, Big Bossman(rip), Test(rip) I could go on and on. Nowadays they give you a 6-man tag match with all the mid-carders in it and that takes away the chance to build an effective story line. If they don't have TV time to put all the mid-carders in a match then get creative. Back then when guys were feuding they didn't have to wrestle each other every single week. They used backstage situations as promos to build the feud. That's the main difference is the effort that the WWE puts into what they do has changed dramatically...sorry so long
    I don't think you are correct in your statement and I will tell you why:
    The attitude era made Stone Cold, Rock, Undertaker, HBK, HHH, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. The reason that time was better for wrestling is all of the stars were good wrestlers, great on the mic and had larger than life personalities, the current crop of WWE starts are better technical wrestlers but they lack mic skills and have very little personality. I would venture to say if you took the top current top 5 today and went back 15 years on Randy Orton would be a star, even CM Punk would be a mid card wrestler, the rest would not be on the roster or mid card talent. I have been a wrestling fan for 40 years and yes technical wrestling ability does account for a lot but what makes fans buy tickets or PPV's is personality, can you make the fans hate you enough to want to see you get killed by the face. If you are a face can you make the fans cheer even when you are getting hammered by the evil heel. HHH was a great heel, he made you hate him, HBK was a great heel because you wanted that pretty face to be smashed in. Brett Hart was a great face because he was loved the fans and they loved him, Stone Cold was a bad ass redneck and people loved him. What do all these wrestlers have in common? personality. Love it or hate it wrestling today lacks personalities. Thank god for CM Punk or Raw would be unwatchable.
    note about the divas, yes the AA had its fair share of Bimbos, but do you rememebr the true bimbos like torrie wilson every actually trying to put on a good match!? no, they didnt give a crap, because they knew they were there for tthe costume contests and bra and panty matches, the divas of today, still bimbos, but they actually try to wrestle which, just isn't good.
    Everything is OVER RATED to you people
    The Attitude Era on "Wrestling " Scale it wasn't The Best
    But it Was the Most ENTERTAINING Tme in Wrestling history
    The storylines and The Feuds were Always Hot and Very Interesting
    BTW I DON'T Want The Attitude Era back and I believe that we are in a Diffrent Time
    All I want is a Hot, Entertaining And intresting Product that is so 2011'ish
    That's All
    To be honest, the Attitude Era gave us great stars like Stone Cold, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Edge & Christian, Mic Foley, Triple H, etc so without that Era, we would be stuck with the same cheesy, stiff wrestling that the 80's and early 90's wrestling was all about at that time.

Also, for the people who say the wrestling matches in the AA weren't that great, I think you need to re-think that statement. Every week on Raw and Smackdown back in the Attitude Era days, they showcased a lot of talented wrestlers and we did see great matches like Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit for the IC title, Chris Benoit vs Stone Cold on Smackdown, Triple H vs Tazz on Smackdown, and even Triple H & Stone Cold vs Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho on Raw. The Attitude Era was great for showcasing talent, even putting on great matches whether it was a PPV or their regular shows.

Not to sound like an Attitude Era mark but the Attitude Era wasn't really overrated IMO.
    Updated 09-04-2011 at 04:35 PM by Dubs
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.