View RSS Feed

GreatMuta4life

The Yin and Yang of the WWE part 1

Rate this Entry
Greeting IWC. This is my first blog so let me know how I do. I've been a fan since the late 80s and have seen the highs and lows of the business. I think its easy for us to complain about the product today and be nostalgic for the good old days. But lets look at things with some perspective and appreciate the good wresting we do get; without ignoring some of the glaring problems that frustrate us all. I'll focus on the WWE in this post.

Pushed Talent/Wasted Talent

The epic heel turn of R-Truth has shown that a mid-carder can get not only get a big push, but can be allowed to do something different. We're getting Christian in the main event scene. Lets be patient and see where the Orton feud will go, this is good stuff folks. John Morrison looked set for bigger things before he got hurt, although I personally question whether he has the mic skills to be a main eventer. Bryan Danielson is on worldwide tv every week! Sure I'd love to see him in the main event, but lets appreciate seeing him on the big stage of WWE, and having as good a quality of matche as is allowed in WWE. Cody Rhodes is getting the spotlight and making the most of it. Alberto Del Rio got the immediate big push he has the talents to justify.
As for the wasted talent, well there's plenty of that too. A heel CM Punk should be a fixture in the main event mix, and it will be one of the biggest all-time wastes if he leaves the company because he is not getting the spot he deserves. Jack Swagger is money, he needs better material. Same goes for Drew McIntyre. Shamus got the big push, but is floundering. He needs to have much more time on the mic, I think he could be quite funny if he could turn and become a sort of smart-ass face. As for Zack Ryder, my fellow Broskis, well if you've seen the interview with Triple H on the Z! True Long Island Story episode, you know who's keeping him down. I do think that keeping him on Superstars gets that show thousands more views every week, but that's no excuse not to use him sparingly on Raw. I think we'd all be happy if he'd at least get a couple of minutes on Raw most weeks.

New Talent/Old Talent

We have to realize that we've gotten a lot of great new talent in the last couple of years. Mystico/Sin Cara will be great, give him time to adjust to the restrictive WWE in-ring style. Del Rio is an instant classic, full respect to Christian. Awesome Kong/Karma was actually making the Divas division interesting. Its a shame it was cut so short. The Bella Twins can't wrestle, but they are a good heels and can talk. They make the Divas segments they're in slightly less unwatchable than other Divas segments. Wade Barret is as sure fire a future main-eventer as there is, I actually think its ok that they're taking their time with him after the big Nexus push. Dolph Ziggler is set for greatness. We haven't just got new talent, there have been good new ideas. The anonymous Raw GM was been fun, although its about time to reveal who it is. Michael Cole's heel turn has been epic. The original Nexus invasion was a breath of fresh air. And lets all realize that Vickie Guerrero was turned herself in to a great heel.

The WWE has had a catastrophic run of losing top talent in the past couple of years: Edge, Jericho(I question whether he'll come back with the current lackluster state of the product), Batista, HBK, just to name a few. The rosters are about as thin with true stars as its been since the mid-90s. And legends like Triple H and the Undertaker are all but retired, maybe working one match a year. And although their WM28 match was a classic, it seems to be a waste for Taker to not give the rub to a younger wrestler, he could make a star with just a valiant loss to the Deadman. Older stars like Big Show and Rey Mysterio are still nice to have around, but they just can't work anywhere near like they used to and they haven't been used in an interesting way in a long time. Although Sin Cara vs Rey could be interesting, can you say mask vs career match at WM in a few years!?

John Cena

You might have noticed I haven't mentioned the lightning rod. WWE is making the decent money it is, and has the ability to put other talent on a big stage, because of John Cena. And its thanks in large part to him that a new generation of young fans are getting hooked on the sport we love. These kids make the company millions and these kids mean that wrestling will have a strong fanbase for decades to come. No one has captured the imagination of kids in the last decade like Cena. He has risen beyond the business, like Hogan and The Rock. He's a dedicated company man that has given everything for the business. And lets appreciate that he is live on Monday nights week and week, year after year. Think about where the WWE would be without Cena.

Having said all that, I hate Cena. I don't hate him with the genuine venom so many of the IWC seem to have for him. I'm just bored to death with the same old thing. I liked the glimpses of the pre-PG Cena we saw in the angle with The Rock. I actually thought Cena owned The Rock in their verbal exchanges. But the big month before WM is not what WWE is like the other 11 months of the year. The rest of the time, its just the same stale SuperCena. Hes a great talker, but his material sucks. He can actually wrestle if they let him, watch the hour-long broadway with HBK in the UK for evidence. But they don't let him wrestle, he just has the old Hogan matches that sucked even in Hogan's 80s heyday. Cena at the end of the card means a crappy end to the show.

That's it for part 1. Stay tuned for part 2. Leave your comments and let me know what you think. WWWYKI

Submit "The Yin and Yang of the WWE part 1" to Digg Submit "The Yin and Yang of the WWE part 1" to del.icio.us Submit "The Yin and Yang of the WWE part 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Yin and Yang of the WWE part 1" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    great blog
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.