View RSS Feed

Stern

TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention.

Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
I'd like to make the point before anyone (if anyone) reads this blog that I do not like TNA Wrestling, or Impact Wrestling, whatever they want to call themselves. I watched TNA for the first time a few years back when they still had the six sided ring and just had to ask myself "why?" Why would any wrestling company decide to create a ring with an extra two sides? Simple. They wanted to be different from WWE. Granted, I can see why. WWE is the biggest wrestling organization in the world and companies need a niche to get noticed. This was not their niche. If Hulk Hogan has done anything in TNA (other than grind the already slow moving train almost to a complete stop), getting rid of the six sided ring was it.

I watched TNA every now and again and found the whole show laughable. Every time I switched on TNA I found yet another WWE reject, or over the hill, trying to cling on to fame wrestler trying to steal the spotlight. But, I enjoyed watching matches by AJ Styles and Christian when he was a TNA... dare I say, superstar.

Anyway, I'm writing this blog because of TNA's recent name change from TNA to Impact Wrestling. Why? Again, it's because the management of TNA (from what I know, is Dixie, Hulk and Bishoff) are stupid. The story from what I've read is WWE are distancing themselves from the word "wrestling" because Vince has this long term goal to make the WWE into a brand name like the NFL, or something. TNA, in all their glory, take this to mean that WWE no longer want to focus on wrestling. That's right, they genuinely believed that WWE, a company solely based on wrestling, no longer wants to focus on wrestling. Cue TNA wanting to go in the opposite direction of WWE, as they usually do, and completely miss the point.

By all means, I'm not saying WWE are perfect, they're not. WWE constantly push people like John Cena and The Miz. Both of whom have the characteristics and personality of a paper bag. Full of steroids. When I was watching wrestling you had The Rock insulting anyone he felt like, running his mouth at anyone. Austin giving people the finger, 70 year old's crammed in a shower with an overweight, sweaty Mark Henry. Now they're all about "I'mmm Aweeeessssooome." A catchphrase a 12 year old with brain damage might blurt out while dribbling.

I'm going to break down exactly what is wrong with TNA as a whole, as I've got the time, and I'm on a roll here.

On-screen chemistry

I know Vince Russo is booking for TNA, but after helping to completely screw up one company, you'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson? Nope. Absolutely not! The story lines between characters are usually awful. Promo's are even worse and stories just end abruptly. I'm not even bothering to follow the current story in TNA because there's no point. In two weeks it'll be done and dusted, and we'll see Hogan spouting off at someone else in the middle of the ring and some new rubbish trying to be forced.

The wrestlers themselves

Now, I'm not going to generalize here, because TNA do actually have some very valuable assets. Kurt Angle for example is one of my favourite wrestlers, now and when he was in WWE. Do they utilize him? No. Kurt vs Jeff Jarrett? C'mon! I could book a better Impact than Russo/Hogan. Jarrett has the microphone skills of a deaf person. Again, they really do have talent. AJ is great to watch (although, not to listen too), and the X Division is something that WWE is missing. But then you have people like Hogan. Wrestlers that are over the hill and never want to quit. I think it was when he brought in the Nasty Boys, that's when it confirmed to me that nobody in TNA have a clue what they're doing. Bring up new, fresh talent, older talent, job. Pass the torch.

Word to the wise, if WWE are releasing their superstars, they've got a good reason.

Directing

It's a bit petty, but when someone is going to blade, don't stick your camera man right in the face of the wrestler.

Matt Hardy

Okay, this isn't a dig at Matt Hardy, but when he went to TNA he claimed he was "totally re-inventing himself." Plating your hair like a 9 year old girl and changing your trousers isn't reinventing yourself, Matt. If you really want to re-invent yourself, shave off all your hair, start growing a stubble around your chin and try some new wardrobe and go out as a heel. It would work wonders.

Hogan, Bishoff, Russo.

Last thing, I've gone a bit too far here. If you ruin one wrestling company from so violently trying to not be like WWE, the exact same methods you used a decade ago will still not work now. As my title says, you are, and always will be WWE's annoying little brother who is just begging for attention and will do anything for it. You've nothing original. I saw a countdown clock for (I think it was the undertakers return), suddenly, what does TNA have? You guessed it! A countdown clock. There was even a video I saw a few weeks back with a camera angle of (again, I think) the Undertaker coming up from behind the ring looking menacingly, played next to a video of Ken Anderson in THE EXACT SAME SHOT, THE EXACT SAME FACIAL EXPRESSIONS. WWE do something, TNA try to copy, or do the exact opposite. Try something original for a change. Take the title off Sting, put it on a decent heel.

The point is, TNA/Impact Wrestling isn't original. While Hogan/Bishoff are there throwing their weight around, it'll only be WCW but under a new name. I know that's nothing original, people have said that already. But TNA is a sinking ship, and they're all out of lifeboats.

That's all for now. Just wanted to rant, if you read, thanks!

Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to Digg Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to del.icio.us Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to StumbleUpon Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to Google

Tags: matt hardy, tna
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamour Girl
    And don't even get me started on the Divas, at least the Knockouts get good matches and are fun to watch (not to mention diverse in look and gimmick). Just look at the way they had Kharma exit, not only did it break kayfabe but it also broke the whole image she had spent weeks buidling. I know she left cause she's pregnant but there were alot of better ways for her to exit without hurting her character that way.
    I bet if WWE let her leave in a different way you would still bitch, it was good to let her leave that way, instead of some stupid way, and everyone agrees. Yes she spent weeks making herself look like an animal, a monster, but the fans will realise that she still is one, even though she left saying she was pregnant.

When she returns, the fans will still love her, the Divas will still fear her and her gimmick wont be ruined. She couldnt just leave the WWE saying "I have to go away for a year to do something.." there was no better way to tell the fans she was leaving for over a year.

Also, the Knockouts matches may be better, but the Divas as a whole are better than the KOs. There are 10 Knockouts.. 7 of them used to be WWE Divas, this obviously proves that TNA would rather hire former Divas, because of how skilled they are. If those Divas werent released by WWE then TNA's Knockout roster would be nothing, they would never hire indy talents, i dont know why, its just their style, occasionally they would hire them but theyd rather have women who are popular with the fans.

Of course if you compare todays KO roster with the Divas you could say they are better, but as a whole, as a package, the Divas are far better, always were, always will be. Comparing 1997 - 2005 Divas division, with the exception of Victoria, they are all far more skilled than the Knockouts
    Yupp, I deffinately agree with you. As a sometimes TNA fan i almost can never watch the full product. TNA and WCW are similar in that they create factions that might start out great, but then down the road their leadership changes, memebers come and go, and no one knows who is on anyones side. NWO, NWO Wolfpack, Fortune and Immortal are great examples of storylines that completely effed with all parties involved. WWE's Nexus on the other hand was for the most part a clear cut angle that then eveloved into the Corre. TNA has talented wrestlers that for the most part are so underused that its difficult to watch. Sure you can make comparisions to the WWE but for the most part they at least try to showcase their wrestlers or at least get around to it eventual. TNA is a clusterfuck of ideas and programming that could work if they spaced storylines out, and improved the quality of their product. TNA has to build their own guys instead of relying on past WWE, WCW, and ECW stars. This is why we rip on WWE rejects, because TNA doesnt have the creativity to make their own people up. For those of you that will rip me for that last statement....ummmm, The Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Randy Orton, CM Punk, R-Truth etc.....all people the WWE let run wild and develop into their own characters....mostly being home grown and going after the titles.....TNA has a habbit of giving the title shots to Ex-WWE guys, just saying.
    Yea WWE hires former Knockouts who are at the top and makes them nothing while TNA hires the Divas who should be on top (based on their wrestling skills but that WWE fires because they can't find anything to do with the actual female wrestlers) and then TNA makes them worth something. If Gail Kim had stayed in TNA she would've earned alot less money, but at least she would've retired on top as opposed to now that she's in WWE barely being used cause WWE would rather focus on girls that look like Kelly Kelly and eventually after Gail gets married she'll either retire or be released as a shell of what she used to be in TNA. Azure you say the Divas are better but I bet you're the first one to switch the channel or have a bathroom break as soon as their matches start. They're neither more athletic nor more entertaining than the Knockouts and if you payed attention you'd realize the current batch of Divas are just a joke.
    Back then it was not a trend TNA hiring WWE rejects thats why fans adore Christian
    Glamour Girl what are you talking about? You're bringing up the KOs and Divas and saying that the WWE rejects are good pick ups for TNA. I personally go to use the bathroom every time the women are wrestling on either of the programs, unless Awesome Kong is involved.

How do you even endorse the picking up of ex-WWE talent as being a good thing. It's never worked out. I can't even really say that Christian was a great pick up for TNA because at the end of the day he went back to WWE. And Kurt Angle basically turned into the same guy that he was when the WWE tried to re-invent ECW. There's nothing more that you can do with him after he has the title. He's still the same guy. How do you re-invent the plain Olympic hero? Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Angle, but I'm just saying.

Just because they vault the ex-WWE talent to the top of their roster doesn't mean that they still have talent, it's just showing the mediocrity of the TNA product. They can't create their own superstars and that's apparent at this point.

As far as the blog, I agreed with everything you had to say and thought it was great, except for the part about Cena and the Miz. I loved the Attitude Era. I thought it was great. The crude humor, DX, Rock, Austin, etc. But at what point do we move on? If they were still doing the Attitude Era, we'd complain about how stale it was and how we'd want something new. Just accept the transition period. There will be other eras. It hasn't impeded the progress of the WWE, so they must be doing something right.
    Updated 06-10-2011 at 02:04 AM by Bralon23
    I'm going to have to agree with Bralon23 about Women's wrestling in general. I completely forgot to add to my blog thoughts about Women's wrestling, but I'll save that for a blog I'll either post later today or the start of next week. It's nice to have an outlet for this kind of stuff.

Madness also made the point I didn't completely clear up in the blog about home-grown talents over "used" talents, but I'll address that in #2 as I'm focusing on WWE.

Also, 1400 views? Nice!
    I cant believe people are so sinicle of TNA the older talent Kurt vs Jeff has been atleast a 4 star match everytime, bully ray has been on fire since leaving 3D & i agree with Nasty boys comment but them & the band were gone after like 3 months (at most), Matt Hardy has become a darker personality since being in TNA & shaving his head growing a beard & getting a different wardrobe wont be reinventing wrestling or himself for that matter also there are 100's of people that have said they will change wrestling. The Sting 3 - 3 - 11 was TNA just mocking WWE for not getting him at WM27. And finally the thing im sick of is people saying that the storylines are all the same well id like some1 to try & creat a completely new storyline after pro wrestling has been around for over 100 years. Obviously WWE is number 1 & people in TNA have even admitted there not gonna take them down doesn't mean they cant try just my opinion
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.