View RSS Feed

Stern

TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention.

Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
I'd like to make the point before anyone (if anyone) reads this blog that I do not like TNA Wrestling, or Impact Wrestling, whatever they want to call themselves. I watched TNA for the first time a few years back when they still had the six sided ring and just had to ask myself "why?" Why would any wrestling company decide to create a ring with an extra two sides? Simple. They wanted to be different from WWE. Granted, I can see why. WWE is the biggest wrestling organization in the world and companies need a niche to get noticed. This was not their niche. If Hulk Hogan has done anything in TNA (other than grind the already slow moving train almost to a complete stop), getting rid of the six sided ring was it.

I watched TNA every now and again and found the whole show laughable. Every time I switched on TNA I found yet another WWE reject, or over the hill, trying to cling on to fame wrestler trying to steal the spotlight. But, I enjoyed watching matches by AJ Styles and Christian when he was a TNA... dare I say, superstar.

Anyway, I'm writing this blog because of TNA's recent name change from TNA to Impact Wrestling. Why? Again, it's because the management of TNA (from what I know, is Dixie, Hulk and Bishoff) are stupid. The story from what I've read is WWE are distancing themselves from the word "wrestling" because Vince has this long term goal to make the WWE into a brand name like the NFL, or something. TNA, in all their glory, take this to mean that WWE no longer want to focus on wrestling. That's right, they genuinely believed that WWE, a company solely based on wrestling, no longer wants to focus on wrestling. Cue TNA wanting to go in the opposite direction of WWE, as they usually do, and completely miss the point.

By all means, I'm not saying WWE are perfect, they're not. WWE constantly push people like John Cena and The Miz. Both of whom have the characteristics and personality of a paper bag. Full of steroids. When I was watching wrestling you had The Rock insulting anyone he felt like, running his mouth at anyone. Austin giving people the finger, 70 year old's crammed in a shower with an overweight, sweaty Mark Henry. Now they're all about "I'mmm Aweeeessssooome." A catchphrase a 12 year old with brain damage might blurt out while dribbling.

I'm going to break down exactly what is wrong with TNA as a whole, as I've got the time, and I'm on a roll here.

On-screen chemistry

I know Vince Russo is booking for TNA, but after helping to completely screw up one company, you'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson? Nope. Absolutely not! The story lines between characters are usually awful. Promo's are even worse and stories just end abruptly. I'm not even bothering to follow the current story in TNA because there's no point. In two weeks it'll be done and dusted, and we'll see Hogan spouting off at someone else in the middle of the ring and some new rubbish trying to be forced.

The wrestlers themselves

Now, I'm not going to generalize here, because TNA do actually have some very valuable assets. Kurt Angle for example is one of my favourite wrestlers, now and when he was in WWE. Do they utilize him? No. Kurt vs Jeff Jarrett? C'mon! I could book a better Impact than Russo/Hogan. Jarrett has the microphone skills of a deaf person. Again, they really do have talent. AJ is great to watch (although, not to listen too), and the X Division is something that WWE is missing. But then you have people like Hogan. Wrestlers that are over the hill and never want to quit. I think it was when he brought in the Nasty Boys, that's when it confirmed to me that nobody in TNA have a clue what they're doing. Bring up new, fresh talent, older talent, job. Pass the torch.

Word to the wise, if WWE are releasing their superstars, they've got a good reason.

Directing

It's a bit petty, but when someone is going to blade, don't stick your camera man right in the face of the wrestler.

Matt Hardy

Okay, this isn't a dig at Matt Hardy, but when he went to TNA he claimed he was "totally re-inventing himself." Plating your hair like a 9 year old girl and changing your trousers isn't reinventing yourself, Matt. If you really want to re-invent yourself, shave off all your hair, start growing a stubble around your chin and try some new wardrobe and go out as a heel. It would work wonders.

Hogan, Bishoff, Russo.

Last thing, I've gone a bit too far here. If you ruin one wrestling company from so violently trying to not be like WWE, the exact same methods you used a decade ago will still not work now. As my title says, you are, and always will be WWE's annoying little brother who is just begging for attention and will do anything for it. You've nothing original. I saw a countdown clock for (I think it was the undertakers return), suddenly, what does TNA have? You guessed it! A countdown clock. There was even a video I saw a few weeks back with a camera angle of (again, I think) the Undertaker coming up from behind the ring looking menacingly, played next to a video of Ken Anderson in THE EXACT SAME SHOT, THE EXACT SAME FACIAL EXPRESSIONS. WWE do something, TNA try to copy, or do the exact opposite. Try something original for a change. Take the title off Sting, put it on a decent heel.

The point is, TNA/Impact Wrestling isn't original. While Hogan/Bishoff are there throwing their weight around, it'll only be WCW but under a new name. I know that's nothing original, people have said that already. But TNA is a sinking ship, and they're all out of lifeboats.

That's all for now. Just wanted to rant, if you read, thanks!

Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to Digg Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to del.icio.us Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to StumbleUpon Submit "TNA: WWE's kid brother begging for attention." to Google

Tags: matt hardy, tna
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by PHENOMINAL ENIGMA
    So because they release 1 person their getting rid of the x division & concidering their next PPV is destination X i dont see them having a ppv about them then get rid of them
    You're gettin on my nerves man, you misunderstood me,
    the point about lethal's release, abyss as x division champ is that tna is doing really bad and i dont understand you dont see it, i watch every show and it keeps getting worse, the storylines are crap, and its not like they dont have enough talent because they have a lot of young talented guys. And yes i know there will be destination x but kurt angle himself said the x division was going downhill since 2005 so even tna talents know and say that about their company, how much worse can it get man?
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyLee
    You're gettin on my nerves man, you misunderstood me,
    the point about lethal's release, abyss as x division champ is that tna is doing really bad and i dont understand you dont see it, i watch every show and it keeps getting worse, the storylines are crap, and its not like they dont have enough talent because they have a lot of young talented guys. And yes i know there will be destination x but kurt angle himself said the x division was going downhill since 2005 so even tna talents know and say that about their company, how much worse can it get man?
    I got your point but i disagree abyss will lose the title at DX & it will make the Xdiv much stronger & of course the X div has gone a bit down the past few years its coz TNA actually gave their X divison a shot at the world title. Eric B said they will be bringing the Xdiv back to it's former glory in just the last tapings they had Austin Aries, Kid Kash, Jimmy Rave, Xion, Jerry Lynn etc. on & their gonna have Joe vs Daniels vs Styles 3 at DX I'd like to see any 3 people in the WWE have a mach as good as those 3.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.