View RSS Feed

WilloTron 5000

And I Quote: Does age matter?

Rate this Entry
After a 7/10 Over the Limit in which Randy Orton vs Christian undoubtedly stole the show it now begins the countdown to Capitol Punishment. Capitol Punishment which is set to be held in Washington DC could be a perfect platform for the return of the animal Batista. Although short notice, there have been rumours of Big Dave's return due to the lack of main event talent now available on Raw.

Although most of my blog this week isn't topical at the moment it is nevertheless thought povoking and could spark a decent debate. I was thinking this week about age within sport. And i was thinking about the comparison of how the perspective on age differs between wrestling and football (soccer). I chose football as it is without question the most popular sport on earth. Now despite the fact that wrestling is now generally percieved within the sports-entertainment category it is nevertheless a form of sport. Within football across the world, footballers have long careers. A footballer is in his prime these days from the age of about 18 - 32. Once a footballer hits the mid 30's their careers tend to wind down for the simple fact that their bodies just can't do what they did back when they were in their 20's even if their mind wants to. I now contrast this to a wrestler. And i talk about the wrestlers who still compete week in week out who are at an age range of about 35-45. I've looked into some superstars for both WWE & TNA who are still competing every week and are hitting an age which would be considered retirement age in football and indeed in many other sports.

Big Show (39) Christian (38) Kane (44) Mark Henry (41) R-Truth (38) Vladimir Kozlov (39) Kurt Angle (43) Jeff Jarrett (44)

Of course i've discounted others such as; Undertaker, William Regal, Triple H, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan however these wrestlers don't compete every week.

My point overall is what keeps these superstars going? In football they'd be long one into retirement or at least considering it by now. If you compare the training and schedule a wrestlers goes way beyond a footballers. I'm sure a wrestlers training is far more intense and articulate. As far as the schedule goes, wrestlers compete at televised events, non televised house shows, tours across North America, Europe and acros the world and travel from town to town and city to city every day of the year in planes, tour buses and rental cars. A footballer trains but perhaps in the morning every day and takes the afternoon off ahead of a big match on a saturday or sunday. Footballers may have a European match or a pre season tour abroad but it doesn't nearly compare to a wrestlers unbelieveably busy, work-filled schedule!

So what is the motivation of a wrestler to keep going, keep performing at the highest level. If you look at the English Premier League an example of a wage is Wayne Rooney who gets £200,000 per week. Now i'm unaware of the pay and wage structure in professional wrestling but i'm sure even the top stars don't recieve anywhere near that. And i can understand that because there's not that much money in wrestling to dish out. Although i do believe that wrestlers get paid very well. So for a lot and for the one's that i named i don't think that they keep going for the money. Or do they? Is there a WWE pension scheme? I don't think there will be. A top level footballer doesn't need to worry about money when they retire. But do wrestlers? Another factor could be that it's ther ego's that keep them going, still chasing the dream, still chasing another championship run, still wanting to be on television and not prepared to give up their spot to the next generation? Or it's simply because they love it! It's in their blood and they don't want the journey to end. Many retired footballers move onto media work, commentary or hosting sports shows. This is an option for wrestlers but they just want to keep going,keep going out to the ring and doing their thing at a top level. And fairplay to them, i don't want them to stop and for many of the names that i listed with their ages, long may they reign on our TV screens in the near future.

This is a blog that could generate much debate about age within sport, there are many factors, possibilities and theories that can be discussed.

Submit "And I Quote: Does age matter?" to Digg Submit "And I Quote: Does age matter?" to del.icio.us Submit "And I Quote: Does age matter?" to StumbleUpon Submit "And I Quote: Does age matter?" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You forgot to mention RVD, Sting, and Iron Shiek. Maybe lots of them are not financially stable, ego, or do want to let go their glory days. Some of them age didn't affect their in ring ability. Watched RVD vs Angle on knockout wrest last night, none of them missed a beat. Undertaker might not compete every night, might in his upper years, he been in a lot of brutual matches and all they injuries he substain, didn't slow him down one bit and can still put on a good match. I think some if they still got it, why not, others don't know when to let go.
    Enjoyed the blog.

I dont have a problem with old wrestlers. I think WWE & TNA has a good amount of old wrestlers that could put the young guys over.

Even people like Triple H. People complain and say Triple H used people to get to the top but atleast he put people over. Triple gave Orton, Batista, Benoit and Y2J(Technically) their first world titles by dropping the belt to them. He also is one of the only major stars to have tapped on more than 5 times. He's jobbed to Sheamus & even Cena.

So I respect old wrestlers if they can put over young talent like Triple H used to do
    Age doesn't matter your forgetting Ryan Giggs, now on wrestling old wrestler will always be important cause their companies can use them as the veterans to put over young talent
    Age only matters when one feels like bashing TNA. Besides that, not a big deal.
    Good Blog, in general age matters but only to a point. As long as the competitor can still perform at an acceptable level perform enough times in a year to make his paychecks worth it, and can stay healthy, then age isn't a big deal. However, do most wrestlers get that luxury? Not even close. Only the smarter ones (in terms of financial, health and training) get to write off the age thing for awhile longer.
    It is weird how many wrestlers are just as good-or even better in their older years. Goldust was putting on some amazing matches!
    I think it might also have to do with wrestlers changing thier style somewhat. As they get older, the adapt to what they can and can't do. I'm lost for an example, maybe Rey Mysterio? But thats more due to injuries.
    I don't think its ego, I think its just wrestler don't hit the bigtime until they are, at least 25, whereas soccer players can be up their in there late teens or early 20's. Its just the norm for a wrestler to retire around 40+ years, there have been very few wrestlers who have retired at the start of their 30's (excluding injuries etc)
    Randy savage was in his 40's his entire wcw career and he had some hella good matches there.

If a wrestler can go in the ring when they are getting on in years i dont see a problem with that. look at Jerry Lawler for example, he had a really good ladder match with the miz and he is in his 60's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.