View RSS Feed

nrb6304

Macho Man and Co. Stars of Yesterday vs. Today

Rate this Entry
I've been thinking a lot since the death of one "Macho Man" Randy Savage, and it made me think of who exactly could be said as the "Macho Man" of the 10's. Now before the bashing begins let me say that when I say the "Macho Man" of today, I don't mean in character comparison I mean in company position.

That thought made me think of all the other stars of the 1980's and the stars of today. The following is my comparisons:

"Macho Man" Randy Savage=Randy Orton (LET THE HATE BEGIN!) I want you to think back to the WWF 1980's. Macho Man was the WWF's #2 Face. There are some people that would argue that he was the #1 Face at one time, and those arguments are valid ones, but no matter which way you spin it Hulk Hogan was always the #1 Face of the WWF. Even when Randy held the title it was focused around Hogan. The same can be said about Randy Orton. The guy is the face of Smackdown (the #2 brand) and even when he was on RAW as the WWE Champion it was John Cena who was main eventing PPV's. Back in the 80's you were either a fan of Hogan or Savage or both. Today's audience is the exact same. Some kids love Orton some love Cena or some love both.

Hulk Hogan=John Cena Do I need to go into detail on this one? Or is it cool if I just leave it be? WWF 1980's Hulkamanics WWF 1990's Steve Austin's....rebels? rednecks? WWE 00 Chain Gang.

Roddy Piper=CM Punk Two of the greatest TALKERS of their times, but could still on any given day get in their and tear it up. I feel that CM Punk is like Hot Rod in the sense that he could be at the bottom of the card and then randomly just jump into the main event and be a serious contender. If the internet was around in the 1980's we'd be complaining about Hot Rod not being WWE Champion just like we complain about CM Punk not being champion. (I'd like to say that this is based soley on company position NOT CHARACTER! Miz would be the character equivalent of Hot Rod)

Jimmy Snuka=Rey Mysterio Two awesome high flyers that the company can throw in the main event of a show and still sell it out without making THE champion. I think that in the 1980's Superfly was arguably the #3 or #4 face of the company. Neither man HAS to be in the main event but no matter how far down the card they get they can just FLY (bad pun) back up the ladder and everybody will cheer.

Ted DiBiase Sr.=Alberto Del Rio I think these two guys are similar in character and position. I think right now ADR is just floundering a little, having random matches with random folks waiting for his opportunity to break out. Ted DiBiase was a lot like that too. Sure he main evented sometimes, but if you look at it he never really had great FEUDS between himself and anybody. None that I can think of.

Ricky Steamboat=Christian Steamboat was known for being able to have an amazing match with ANYBODY and make it a classic, yet Vince never really looked at him as World Champion material. Unfortunately we all know that had Edge not retired...Christian wouldn't have won the World Title, BUT Vince can always count on Christian's match to be awesome and steal the show (Have you seen his match with RKO at OTL?!).

Andre The Giant=The Undertaker In the 1980's Andre was looked at as the end all be all of the WWF. No matter what he did, whether it was winning a body slam contest against BJS at WM 1 or making Hulk Hogan at WM 3 Andre was IT. He was looked at as a guy who could make stars along with the locker room leader. If Andre didn't want something to happen, it didn't. If somebody was out of line (Warrior) he took care of it. Undertaker is the same way. Undertaker does EXACTLY what HE wants, and if somebody has a problem in the locker room it's his unofficial duty to put them in line. There's a story about when the NWO came in 2002 Y2J went to UT and asked him for advice. UT told him that there wouldn't be any BS cuz he wouldn't allow it.

Ultimate Warrior=Kofi Kingston This may be a little early, only time will tell, but there was a time when Warrior was the #3 guy, and there was a time when Kofi was the #3 guy, it looked like both guys had promise, but then nothing came of it. Warrior may have won the WWF title from Hogan, but then what? Do you remember? Cuz I sure as hell don't. Same thing with Kofi (so far) he was really hot during his end of the year feud with Randy Orton a few years ago, but then he just fizzled out. A flash in the pan. Out of all of these I pray that this is the one I'm most wrong about.

That's how I see it...how do you?

Submit "Macho Man and Co. Stars of Yesterday vs. Today" to Digg Submit "Macho Man and Co. Stars of Yesterday vs. Today" to del.icio.us Submit "Macho Man and Co. Stars of Yesterday vs. Today" to StumbleUpon Submit "Macho Man and Co. Stars of Yesterday vs. Today" to Google

Updated 05-30-2011 at 11:32 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I disagree with some. You can't compare Randy to Macho just based on position in the company. A good arguement could be Edge and Macho, both was capable of putting on long matches without making it boring. I'm tired of people comparing Cena with Hogan. Not even close, yes both maybe face of the company but Hogan had way more charisma he always needed the fans rally him up to win a match. Not only that Hogan lost alot of his matches and try to put other guys over. Hogan was usually the underdog in the fight. Cena is the complete opposite, he gets beat down for most of the match then he jumps like nothing happens beat them with with his 5 moves of doom. Cena is 99.99% chance of winning his matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOF666
    I disagree with some. You can't compare Randy to Macho just based on position in the company. A good arguement could be Edge and Macho, both was capable of putting on long matches without making it boring. I'm tired of people comparing Cena with Hogan. Not even close, yes both maybe face of the company but Hogan had way more charisma he always needed the fans rally him up to win a match. Not only that Hogan lost alot of his matches and try to put other guys over. Hogan was usually the underdog in the fight. Cena is the complete opposite, he gets beat down for most of the match then he jumps like nothing happens beat them with with his 5 moves of doom. Cena is 99.99% chance of winning his matches.
    Hogan does/did have more charisma then cena but to say he put people over in the 80's is laughable. The only guy he let beat him clean was Ultimate warrior at wrestlemania 6 and even then he kicked out just a second after the 3-count. Plus Hogan got beat down alot to then hulked up and did his 5-moves of doom.
    [QUOTE=BigBang13666;bt5130]Hogan does/did have more charisma then cena but to say he put people over in the 80's is laughable. The only guy he let beat him clean was Ultimate warrior at wrestlemania 6 and even then he kicked out just a second after the 3-count. Plus Hogan got beat down alot to then hulked up and did his 5-moves of doom.[/QUOTE

hogan may have won most of his matches in his prime in the 80s but he made his opponents look good even if they really weren't. that's because hogan has the wrestling psychology to make his foes look good while cena does not and his matches are usually the same old superman schtick. i've never seen cena make his opponents 10x better than before they faced him.
    Well you forgot three of the best workers, Jake The Snake, Mr. Perfect and Ravishing Rick Rude.

Jake Roberts = Kane
    I feel that Kane very similar to Jake The Snake, he was the most loved and most hated superstar and performed in every match. But somehow he was never ever considered as champion material. Kane is one of the best workers but is more used as a fill-in during bad times.

Rick Rude = Wade Barrett
    This is obvious, like Rick, Wade is a charesmatic wrestler, who loves to be hated. It's sad that Wade Baretts talent is wasted with the stables and crappie jobbing for Cena. He should have the belt, and should be the man that everybody wants to beat. Rick was used to elevate Warrior and Wade is used to elevate Cena.

Mr. Perfect = Chris Masters
    The cocky talent with good skills. Never understood why Mr. Perfect didn't get the main event spot. The same is with Chris, he doesn't have the exceptional skills like Hennig, but he can be the next big thing.

The other thing that irritates me is that Mark Henry never ever gets the belt. He is big, strong and very skillful. But he is mis-used badly.
    You can't compare Randy to Macho just based on position in the company. A good arguement could be Edge and Macho, both was capable of putting on long matches without making it boring. I'm tired of people comparing Cena with Hogan. Not even close, yes both maybe face of the company but Hogan had way more charisma he always needed the fans rally him up to win a match. Not only that Hogan lost alot of his matches and try to put other guys over. Hogan was usually the underdog in the fight. Cena is the complete opposite, he gets beat down for most of the match then he jumps like nothing happens beat them with with his 5 moves of doom. Cena is 99.99% chance of winning his matches.
    First off I do agree Edge is a better comparison and WAS the no. 2 man for last several years. But since he is retired I agree with the Orton comparison. As far as Hogan goes, Underdog really? I think you have a hard time seperating the fact you were probably a young child and thought it was real. The Hogan Cena comparison is perfect in every way. Position in company and persona. Say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and train hard = hustle, loyalty, respect.
    Mr. Perfect = Chris Masters
    The cocky talent with good skills. Never understood why Mr. Perfect didn't get the main event spot. The same is with Chris, he doesn't have the exceptional skills like Hennig, but he can be the next big thing.
    You have got to be freaking kidding me right? The only entertaining thing Chris Masters has ever done is the peck bumping to the black eyed peas. HIS FINISHER IS A FULL NELSON smh

Mr. Perfect= Dolph Ziggler
    Come on this is so obvious, he has the word perfection in his entrance music. WWE creative needs to run with this. Both were collegiate athletes in multiple sports and Dolph proved he can carry the Intercontinental for a long period of time.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.